No Stage for state finals

1 - There is no longer an unnecessarily long break between session 2 and 3, there was previous to the girls joining but there isn't now.

2 - Your question / perspective on these revenue streams is too narrow. Yes, this event has new a revenue stream (Rudis partnership), but just because a single sport (wrestling) gains a new revenue stream doesn't mean that all of those funds go directly and solely into that sport, that's not how any state association (or collegiate athletic department) functions. The streaming deal is part of an organization-wide partnership with NFHS Network (although managed through Trackwrestling), that is not a revenue stream unique to wrestling.

3 - Moving to a Fri-Sun schedule does not save the OHSAA money, those are the only dates made available to them from OSU.

4 - There is no "mega-profit" being made here. If total attendance had maintained at 75,000 and if ticket prices had kept up with inflation, then yes, the event would be much more profitable, but neither of those concepts are true today.
I was at the tournament. There is still an unnecessarily long break between sessions 2 and 3. I assume you weren't there, because they most certainly could have shortened that break and wrestled another round. Especially since we are only talking about the consolation semis (with 10 mats on the floor).

I didn't say that all proceeds from the revenue streams go directly back into wrestling, or that streaming is unique to wrestling. I am saying that they are generating more revenue, why are they looking to cut corners to save even more money on a tournament that was profitable before it was generating more revenue? Let's not forget the revenue boost from adding the girls without having to pay any more for a additional venue.

As far as the dates. People have reported on here that it cost less for the OHSAA to have tournament Fri-Sun than it did for Thurs-Sat. Is that not true? If that isn't true, then I'll accept it. That could be false information, and also isn't incredibly relevant to the discussion.

With the "mega-profit", again, you are hanging onto semantics. We know this year will be a larger profit than last year. We already know the tournament was profitable before. The question that was left unanswered still stands. At what point does providing a great experience for the kids factor in?

Well, if people complained to the people who can actually change things this weekend as much as they have on here, then the Stage will likely be back next year. And if certain people were loud enough the girls may be in a barn.

Well, if people complained to the people who can actually change things this weekend as much as they have on here, then the Stage will likely be back next year. And if certain people were loud enough the girls may be in a barn.
I’m not sure there is anyone who can actually change things like the stage. No OHSAA wrestling person has pull over the OHSAA financial people

Yes it is cheaper for Sunday rather then Thursday, the main stage issue was the time because it was thought the turn time wouldn’t be great enough with the girls being added. There was plenty of times between the last two session to put up the stage, those stages are made for quick up and down like at a halftime performance. I have knowledge and very good knowledge that the Cavs nigh be hosting a state tourney in the future. Ohio state will do whatever it can to deter the OHSAA from using the Schott, they don’t want the events there.

I was at the tournament. There is still an unnecessarily long break between sessions 2 and 3. I assume you weren't there, because they most certainly could have shortened that break and wrestled another round. Especially since we are only talking about the consolation semis (with 10 mats on the floor).

I didn't say that all proceeds from the revenue streams go directly back into wrestling, or that streaming is unique to wrestling. I am saying that they are generating more revenue, why are they looking to cut corners to save even more money on a tournament that was profitable before it was generating more revenue? Let's not forget the revenue boost from adding the girls without having to pay any more for a additional venue.

As far as the dates. People have reported on here that it cost less for the OHSAA to have tournament Fri-Sun than it did for Thurs-Sat. Is that not true? If that isn't true, then I'll accept it. That could be false information, and also isn't incredibly relevant to the discussion.

With the "mega-profit", again, you are hanging onto semantics. We know this year will be a larger profit than last year. We already know the tournament was profitable before. The question that was left unanswered still stands. At what point does providing a great experience for the kids factor in?
Don't discard the new revenue stream ...........

Then pay $10 for the privilege to park a mile away from the arena and walk.
There were busses running people to and from the back parking all weekend. Getting dropped at the door and walking right was nice. I felt it was easier to get in and out from the back lot and not have to deal with the traffic up close to the arena. Maybe I shouldn't have wrote that as my master plan will backfire next year!

I am watching the finals on YouTube. A see a lot of empty seats. JMO, Sunday night wrestling is such a big mistake. Outside of the die-hard fans, parents, and fans who live in close proximity to the venue... A lot of people are not going to this event for the fact they have to work the next day and don't want to get home at 11 or 12. Add in daylight savings time and it just makes it worse. I also imagine that many of the participants are taking off school today for a well deserved break. There's A reason high school sports is not typically a Sunday evening venue.

A minute ago your reasoning was that wrestling didn't deserve it "financially". Now, after realizing wrestling was turning a profit (even with the stage), your reasoning is that they need it for other sports? Then you go on about football and basketball being king? Their 2021 audit is available if you'd like to read it. The other sports are doing just fine and Track & Field is also a big money maker.

Do you even have a point anymore?
Yes. You can't comprehend that OHSAA does what it best for all sports, not just wrestling. A decision with one sport effects the others. If covid taught business and especially non-profits anything, it's your revenue can leave you in a hurry. They still haven't recovered from it, but yet they continue to give the wrestlers a world class program despite them bringing in minimal profit. (Thankfully it isn't at a loss like others)

You act like it's a government agency that can just print money. Yes. I've seen the audits before. There would be zero spectacle without football and basketball.

Last edited:
Yes. You can't comprehend that OHSAA does what it best for all sports, not just wrestling. A decision with one sport effects the others. If covid taught business and especially non-profits anything, it's your revenue can leave you in a hurry. They still haven't recovered from it, but yet they continue to give the wrestlers a world class program despite them bringing in minimal profit. (Thankfully it isn't at a loss like others)

You act like it's a government agency that can just print money. Yes. I've seen the audits before. There would be zero spectacle without football and basketball.
Again, you have used a lot of words to say absolutely nothing. Congrats.

OHSAA's responsibility is to is to ALL sports. Every decision needs to be based in responsibility and fairness to all. Forking out expenses for something that isn't needed or required for the event can be detrimental to the others. You guys have blinders on and don't see the whole picture. You'd run the organization into the ground if you were at the top. OHSAA can't print money like the government and run off a deficit.
"decision needs to be based in responsibility and fairness to all. Forking out expenses for something that isn't needed or required for the event can be detrimental to the others. "

Go woke Go Broke ....There, it's out in the open. Everybody gets a medal.

I am watching the finals on YouTube. A see a lot of empty seats. JMO, Sunday night wrestling is such a big mistake. Outside of the die-hard fans, parents, and fans who live in close proximity to the venue... A lot of people are not going to this event for the fact they have to work the next day and don't want to get home at 11 or 12. Add in daylight savings time and it just makes it worse. I also imagine that many of the participants are taking off school today for a well deserved break. There's A reason high school sports is not typically a Sunday evening venue.

So they miss school on Friday and Monday instead of Thursday and Friday?

Yes, the removal of the stage was both a cost and time saving measure. Was there another question asked of me? I'm happy to provide any facts that I have to improve the discourse here, where so much is based on speculation and emotional reactions.
"I'm happy to provide any facts that I have to improve the discourse here, where so much is based on speculation and emotional reactions."

Yea, improve discourse with speculation and emotions. Nice comment

I repeat from Friday except that it is now 6 pages in 4 days.
I wonder if it had any effect?

"Two pages in 12 hours complaining about something that has been known for months.
Amazing!"

So they miss school on Friday and Monday instead of Thursday and Friday?
I actually got credit for going to school on Thursday. We only had 3 qualifiers and the coach drove us up in his car from school. No papers to sign for liability or anything like that. Lol, how times have changed.

I repeat from Friday except that it is now 6 pages in 4 days.
I wonder if it had any effect?

"Two pages in 12 hours complaining about something that has been known for months.
Amazing!"
It's that time of year. The know it all guys come out in full force claiming opinion as fact and refusing to look past their nose and Mt. Dew long enough to see that they haven't thought through things or capable of empathy. TROLL SEASON!

You'll be able to resume the boring talk by next week.