No High School Football 2020

Why do you say sort of. Our district we are doing it online, and every distict in PA that I know of is doing it online. And as time goes on, we will get better at it and get any kinks out and perfect it

For online school to work, so no child is left behind, it would require every student k-12, in every school district to have access to a computer and the internet. The largest school districts in Ohio also tend to be the poorest (hampering access to computers and the internet), so the idea of online school for an extended period of time won't work.

Ian sta
This thought takes the approach of what “the players and the fans” want. That ultimately doesn’t matter. There wasn’t a way the OHSAA was going to be able steamroll through all these games when the Governor himself was literally saying “we don’t want mass gatherings.” And the other two factors beneath the surface, although never explicitly stated, was that some of the facilities still in use when the tourney was postponed were not going to play ball with continued hosting in light of DeWine’s comments and the wishes of their facilities’ owners (e.g. Ohio U/Convocation Center) and there were also some concern if the schools themselves should even continue playing if the OHSAA gave them the choice.

I am stating that it was very possible. I am finished with this conversation.

I love how people on this thread equate education and sports.

What would be the purpose of opening schools but not having sports?
If schools open in August there will be extracurricular activities.
If it would be OK to put 25 kids together in a classroom, why wouldn't it be OK to be 50 kids together on a football field?
There is no difference in sticking kids together in a classroom and sticking them in a locker room. If school is open so are sports.
If schools open up in August, you can pretty much guarantee that they will have high school sports.
If it's safe enough for kidding to be riding buses together, sitting in classrooms together,and eating lunch together, it will be safe enough for sports.

Under the Ohio Revised Code, Title 33, education is mandatory, sports are not. That Is why sports are known as EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES.

If it would be OK to put 25 kids together in a classroom, why wouldn't it be OK to be 50 kids together on a football field?
There is no difference in sticking kids together in a classroom and sticking them in a locker room. If school is open so are sports.
If schools open up in August, you can pretty much guarantee that they will have high school sports.
If it's safe enough for kidding to be riding buses together, sitting in classrooms together,and eating lunch together, it will be safe enough for sports.

Under the Ohio Revised Code, Title 33, education is mandatory, sports are not. That Is why sports are known as EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES.

You're absolutely correct that these things are extra-curricular. Legally correct as well. However, I think what people are getting at makes sense. I mean if school is open you don't have to have sports but it certainly would make sense to have one with the other. I mean if you're gonna have school, you're gonna have PE (i.e. dozens of kids in a gym or weight room in some cases), then ipso facto you have sports.

For online school to work, so no child is left behind, it would require every student k-12, in every school district to have access to a computer and the internet. The largest school districts in Ohio also tend to be the poorest (hampering access to computers and the internet), so the idea of online school for an extended period of time won't work.
I understand and get that. But we must start somewhere and eventually get to that point. It won't happen overnight, but at least many people are working very hard at TRYING to help continuing to educate our students. Thanks for your positive reaction and backing. Hopefully for the kids sake, someday you will be eating crow feathers

Why do you say sort of. Our district we are doing it online, and every distict in PA that I know of is doing it online. And as time goes on, we will get better at it and get any kinks out and perfect it
Perfecting online schooling should be no ones goal, unless you want everyone to just have GEDs.

Perfecting online schooling should be no ones goal, unless you want everyone to just have GEDs.
It is temporary. We are getting paid, and I have an obligation to work and help students any way possible. Clearly you don't understand that. I am done responding to you regarding education. You are not in the field, so have a great day.

It is temporary. We are getting paid, and I have an obligation to work and help students any way possible. Clearly you don't understand that. I am done responding to you regarding education. You are not in the field, so have a great day.
To address point number 1. I know our school district we are not doing any online instruction. We've been told that if even 1 student doesn't/can't get instruction due to a variety of reasons, that no one will get instruction. So I'm sure many other schools are in the same boat. So the answer is no, students are not all receiving instruction.

What changed from your response in a similar thread?

What changed regarding what in a similar thread?
Did you read the quote? You said your district was not doing any online instruction if just one person didn't have access for any reason. Sounds like you're giving instruction now. What changed?

Someone may have stated this already as I did not read all posts. But opening school confines contact to the footprint of the district, sports will spread it much further if it exists as many teams travel quite a few miles into many different communities.

I believe we will slowly add things back in, and sports is near the bottom of the restart list as it is one of the best virus exchange methods available.

There won't be football in the fall. You guys are dreaming if you think there will be. Each state is like a separate country, each with varying levels of "peaks."

This thing isn't ending any time soon.

"We are getting paid"........Ah yes, now I see. The teacher unions, dregs of society.

Did you read the quote? You said your district was not doing any online instruction if just one person didn't have access for any reason. Sounds like you're giving instruction now. What changed?
I understand your question now. At the time of my first posting, our administration had not given us any instruction or directions due to the all or nothing thought. They have now asked us to prepare lesson plans for all, knowing that the district is reaching out to find alternate ways to reach everyone. And I know they are working very hard to reach the poorer families, families that don't have computers, or even wi-fi. That is the difference. Like the world and decisions being made hourly, we are in the same boat. There is no manual to this. But again I can not say enough good things regarding how hard so many people are working to help in this endeavor.

"We are getting paid"........Ah yes, now I see. The teacher unions, dregs of society.
It has nothing to do with teachers union. There are aides, librarians, etc.. as well as companies paying employees to stay home and do nothing. So your theory is completely false.

There won't be football in the fall. You guys are dreaming if you think there will be. Each state is like a separate country, each with varying levels of "peaks."

You may be very well correct, but that will mean large portions of the economy are still inactive and we will be in great depression territory if this level of a national shutdown stretches into football season (the fall).

You may be very well correct, but that will mean large portions of the economy are still inactive and we will be in great depression territory if this level of a national shutdown stretches into football season (the fall).
Agreed. It is hard to believe that we won't have new medical breakthroughs over the next few months that will help with this outbreak. Things will have to return to normal at some point and I don't believe that will wait until a vaccine is widely available.

Now that spring sports are as good as gone.
I will make my predictions on fall sports and the magic 8-ball says they will be gone too. The 1%'s running the show will ease the fans into tis as they have winter and spring sports.

I will make my predictions on fall sports and the magic 8-ball says they will be gone too. The 1%'s running the show will ease the fans into tis as they have winter and spring sports.
Think your dead on on this one unfortunately. Saftey first, and it will be too risky to do extra curricular activities. I suspect concerts, festivals, fairs and similar will not happen this summer.

Wow, a magic 8 ball. Nice
I think I still have one of those in my garage attic. It's in a box with my rockem sockem robots, erector set and my wife's easy bake oven.

I agree, especially considering the number of people who still think that it's a hoax or that it's not that serious, and are deliberately doing everything to disregard safe practices. For anyone who is totally destroyed by the idea of no high school football and want it to start at any cost, here is an activity that you can do to help you chill. It will keep you and everyone else safe, and will get you outside. Have fun!

Talking about the big schools here, the ones that have 100+boys trying out for the varsity and JV teams. One kid coughs and is tested that he does have the virus. Result: all the other kids will be ordered to self quarantine at home. All it takes is just that one kid's cough to effectively end that team's season.

Talking about the big schools here, the ones that have 100+boys trying out for the varsity and JV teams. One kid coughs and is tested that he does have the virus. Result: all the other kids will be ordered to self quarantine at home. All it takes is just that one kid's cough to effectively end that team's season.
But that could happen in the lunchroom too. And would impact more students at the same time.

Agreed. It is hard to believe that we won't have new medical breakthroughs over the next few months that will help with this outbreak. Things will have to return to normal at some point and I don't believe that will wait until a vaccine is widely available.
The definition of "normal" is not likely going to mean what we're used to, as most aspects of what we consider normal life are going to have to be re-introduced in slow, careful stages. Taking the appropriate measures to just get kids back in school buildings safely in late August will be challenging enough, and should be the sole focus. Even then, I can picture kids sitting in class wearing masks. The virus isn't going away, and there will be pop up incidents of infection even after we get on the other side of this. It would only take one kid or coach showing symptoms or testing positive to shut down an entire football program for at least 2 weeks, which would make a season unmanageable for any team in that situation. The hope would be that by summer we have widespread, readily available testing capabilities that provide same day results, and schools have access to those as needed.

Unfortunately this is 1 of many millions of things that are out of our hands and that we have zero control over. We will and do have to adapt for however long this takes to run it's course. For the people that believe in God, continue to pray about this. He has his hands all over this and has a purpose for this. I faithfully trust in him, and am at peace with whatever the end result is. God bless everyone!!

Here is a link to the projected numbers the Ohio Department of Health has shared.
Yellow = Without any social distancing precautions taken
Blue = Our current social distancing precautions taken

The blue actually seems relatively accurate so far. Today's projected amount of new cases was around 375. We had a slightly fewer than 300 new confirmed cases today.