NJCAA releases wrestling calendar for 2020-21 season

scbuckeye99

Saw this on the NWCA fb page yesterday. If you know any kids who will be competing for Juco teams or are already on a Juco team here's what 2020-21 will look like.

October 1 - October 31: Fall practice
January 1st - teams can begin regular season practice
January 20th - regular season competition can begin
April 23-24: Juco Nationals to be held at Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs, Iowa

Was talking this over with a fellow coach last night and how possible is it that covid or no covid down the road the NJCAA sticks with this calendar and how possible is it the NCAA and NAIA adopt something similar???

Saw this on the NWCA fb page yesterday. If you know any kids who will be competing for Juco teams or are already on a Juco team here's what 2020-21 will look like.

October 1 - October 31: Fall practice
January 1st - teams can begin regular season practice
January 20th - regular season competition can begin
April 23-24: Juco Nationals to be held at Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs, Iowa

Was talking this over with a fellow coach last night and how possible is it that covid or no covid down the road the NJCAA sticks with this calendar and how possible is it the NCAA and NAIA adopt something similar???
Over 10 years ago this was proposed (one semester sport) by DI coaches on the rules committee, don't think everyone was fond of it, they were trying to get away from March Madness, honestly, college wrestling is in trouble, they need to think of something to do.

Given all the unknowns regarding the 20-21 school year, I would be more than ok with following the same schedule for HS winter sports.

I think that following the schedule and shortening the season to end in March is very feasible and a great consideration for all high school wrestling. The season is already way too long. Shorten it up and keep it all in the same semester. Allow everyone to come in December to begin conditioning/practice, which would help coaches monitor grades before it's too late. It also allows the wrestlers to enjoy the family holidays.

I think it'll help refocus the attention to midweek duals and building a stronger community presence in the gym. Obviously there is the case to be made of trying to avoid the surge of a second wave as the fall closes and winter begins, but I think this is a good move for our sport and high school wrestling. Those that are really committed can then focus on extending their season via the international styles.

Coach Root