NFL owners to vote on wild rule change that would allow a fourth-and-15 onside kick alternative

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
A dramatic rule change pertaining to onside kicks could be coming to the NFL in 2020 if the league's owners vote to make it happen. The Eagles have proposed a rule that would give teams an alternative option to the onside kick. Instead of trying to recover an onside kick, teams would have the option of attempting to convert a fourth-and-15 play from their own 25-yard line. If they get the 15 yards, they get a first down and keep possession of the ball. If they don't get the 15 yards, the other team would take over possession from wherever the play ended.

Interesting. I can see that if a team is down 2 scores late and scores, it adds some extra excitement. But not sure if I like it - if a team plays well and builds a 2 or 3 score lead, this gimmick could turn the game. it's almost like school-yard hoops - "make-em, take-em".

Checks most of the boxes. Probably a safer alternative than people getting trucked on onside kicks. Adds more excitement and a higher risk higher reward option. Promotes offense. All things the league is on board with.

If they're concerned about safety they should use the XFL kickoff system. It really cuts down on the high speed collisions while preserving the kickoff. With the way most kickoffs have become touchbacks, they've almost eliminated kickoffs as it is. I'd move the kickers back to prevent so many touchbacks and go to XFL system. Bring back the excitement of kickoff returns but on a safer level.

I wonder, does Elias have the % in the NFL on a 4th and 15? Or you really could do 4th and 13-17 to give a bigger sample size.

I wonder, does Elias have the % in the NFL on a 4th and 15? Or you really could do 4th and 13-17 to give a bigger sample size.

Exactly. I'd like more info. What is the typical % completion on 4th and 15 versus the % onside kick successful completion? My best guess is 4th and 15 has a higher completion rate than an onside kick.

I see it as a gimmick and another reason for not watching the NFL.... what is next, a 4 point FG for kicks over 50 yards.....

Exactly. I'd like more info. What is the typical % completion on 4th and 15 versus the % onside kick successful completion? My best guess is 4th and 15 has a higher completion rate than an onside kick.
I know it's technically 4th and 15, but would it be more like 1st and 15? Percentage-wise, that is. A trial run - pre-season or one season - would be interesting.

I know it's technically 4th and 15, but would it be more like 1st and 15? Percentage-wise, that is. A trial run - pre-season or one season - would be interesting.
Probably not. 1st and 15 is never a do-or-die down...they don't need to get all the yards back on one down and can just try to get a few yards back, because they know they have three more downs. 4th and 15, they have to run a play to get 15 yards and the defense would know that and be set a lot different. The two situations are quite different and percentages would likely reflect it.

I see it as a gimmick and another reason for not watching the NFL.... what is next, a 4 point FG for kicks over 50 yards.....
I dont see it as a gimmick, and the rule change would not be something that would make people watch, or not watch.

"Safety" virtually took the onside kick chance away, and this is just trying to give the chance back a little bit.

Just a question: Do you watch and enjoy college? What about that overtime gimmick they use?

Exactly.

To watch, or not watch, the NFL because of something that happens so rarely would just be stupid.

I dont see it as a gimmick, and the rule change would not be something that would make people watch, or not watch.

"Safety" virtually took the onside kick chance away, and this is just trying to give the chance back a little bit.

Just a question: Do you watch and enjoy college? What about that overtime gimmick they use?

Exactly

To watch, or not watch, the NFL because of something that happens so rarely would just be stupid.

No, I do not watch college football other than watching Michigan which most of the time I do not enjoy.
I do not like the overtime rule in College Football. I see nothing wrong with a tie. I am not in favor of changing how a game is played just because it goes into overtime. I do not like the 3 on 3 in Hockey nor the penalty shots. Play the 5 minutes and if it is still tied, it is a tie.

I am not using this new rule as a reason to watch or not to watch.... I do not even recognize the NFL anymore.... Soccer has become a more compact sport than football now a days.....

No, I do not watch college football other than watching Michigan which most of the time I do not enjoy.
I do not like the overtime rule in College Football. I see nothing wrong with a tie. I am not in favor of changing how a game is played just because it goes into overtime. I do not like the 3 on 3 in Hockey nor the penalty shots. Play the 5 minutes and if it is still tied, it is a tie.

I am not using this new rule as a reason to watch or not to watch.... I do not even recognize the NFL anymore.... Soccer has become a more compact sport than football now a days.....
Yeah.

Soccer.

Makes sense now.....

For someone who professes to not pay attention to professional sports, you spend an inordinate amount of time posting on professional sports threads.

For someone who professes to not pay attention to professional sports, you spend an inordinate amount of time posting on professional sports threads.

CNN FAKE NEWS ALERT.....

So, I have over 38 thousand posts on this site and maybe 200 are on professional sports if that..... and most of those are replying to a reply.

Honestly, I could not even tell you who won the World Series.... oh wait, it was the Astros because of all the cheating accusations.... well, that is the only reason I would know that....

NBA? No idea.....
NFL? I know the 49ers were in it but they lost to that one team that had the QB that ran all over the place.... Not Tennesee, I don't think Houston... was it Baltimore?

The point was I had to really think about who won so actually I do not follow professional sports that much and I could not even come close to how many games the REDS won last season..... hopefully it was more than 70.

CNN FAKE NEWS ALERT.....

So, I have over 38 thousand posts on this site and maybe 200 are on professional sports if that..... and most of those are replying to a reply.

Honestly, I could not even tell you who won the World Series.... oh wait, it was the Astros because of all the cheating accusations.... well, that is the only reason I would know that....

NBA? No idea.....
NFL? I know the 49ers were in it but they lost to that one team that had the QB that ran all over the place.... Not Tennesee, I don't think Houston... was it Baltimore?

The point was I had to really think about who won so actually I do not follow professional sports that much and I could not even come close to how many games the REDS won last season..... hopefully it was more than 70.
Good god, stop posting on it. My wife doesn’t care about professional sports, but at least she doesn’t feel the need to voice her preference over things she doesn’t care about.

Good god, stop posting on it. My wife doesn’t care about professional sports, but at least she doesn’t feel the need to voice her preference over things she doesn’t care about.

I don't post on it but I do have an opinion. I guess if my opinion is different then others than you want me out..... fine... I will leave and all of you can agree together.

Goodbye!

I don't post on it but I do have an opinion. I guess if my opinion is different then others than you want me out..... fine... I will leave and all of you can agree together.

Goodbye!
Well, you aren’t a fan, so your opinion literally doesn’t matter. I don’t watch rugby, so I wouldn’t expect my opinion to matter to actual rugby fans.

The NFL owners are a bunch of rich goofs. They spend time debating stuff like this and modifying the Rooney rule instead of trying to improve the safety and integrity of the game. They need to focus on things that involve safety and protecting the integrity of the result. There's no reason with today's technology that calls that materially impact the game can't be quickly reviewed to ensure that fans aren't left to question the result after a glaringly bad call.

The NFL owners are a bunch of rich goofs. They spend time debating stuff like this and modifying the Rooney rule instead of trying to improve the safety and integrity of the game. They need to focus on things that involve safety and protecting the integrity of the result. There's no reason with today's technology that calls that materially impact the game can't be quickly reviewed to ensure that fans aren't left to question the result after a glaringly bad call.
Huh?
Game is being wussified with many new rules in the name of 'safety'.

Huh?
Game is being wussified with many new rules in the name of 'safety'.

I agree that it has become too soft. Safety doesn't have to equal soft. I'm talking about changes that cut down on guys getting hurt without impacting the excitement of the game, like modifying the kickoff. They've already made it a worthless play. I'd like to see it go to something like the XFL plan and move the kickers back to promote a return.

Last edited:
Roughing the passer and targeting have made the NFL unwatchable much of the time. They worry so much about concussions and crap but now we are seeing and will continue to see more and more leg injuries.

It isn't just NFL though. That horrific call against Ohio State against the Clemson QB made me damn near turn off the game. It was no wonder all the sudden after that play the Clemson QB started playing better. Because you can't hit a QB of course he plays better.

This onside kick thing should have been given a shot IMO.

Last edited: