NFL Owners Approve 17 Regular Season Games in 2021

Bballer05

if they're taking the pre-season down to 3 instead of 4, then guess what.......it's literally the same number of games.

the one they added just means a little more than the one they got rid of.

Auggie

^^^
The problem is scrimmage games don't count so the starters only play at best 1/2 of the game.

The bottom line is live TV drives the NFL train and live TV needs more inventory to compete with streaming and other distractions available to consumers. I could eventually see a 20 game season where it starts in mid August and ends in late February with the Super Bowl. To try and placate the players they will get 3 or 4 bye weeks during this long stretch and spread games out across all days of the week with the exception of Saturday night which will be done to placate their defacto minor league. Probably also expand the rosters to give more players a chance at a check and to keep voting for more games. 17 is just the start.

brianwr112

^^^
The problem is scrimmage games don't count so the starters only play at best 1/2 of the game.

The bottom line is live TV drives the NFL train and live TV needs more inventory to compete with streaming and other distractions available to consumers. I could eventually see a 20 game season where it starts in mid August and ends in late February with the Super Bowl. To try and placate the players they will get 3 or 4 bye weeks during this long stretch and spread games out across all days of the week with the exception of Saturday night which will be done to placate their defacto minor league. Probably also expand the rosters to give more players a chance at a check and to keep voting for more games. 17 is just the start.
Yea....don't see that happening as the Union would go on strike. The players are already upset by the 17 games and few they were kinda backdoored by the decision. There won't be games 7 days a week because it'd be impossible to schedule from week to week. The networks outbid the streaming platforms on this round, they had to as it's the only thing bringing eyes to live tv...Not sure they'll be able to do it the next time around

Auggie

Yea....don't see that happening as the Union would go on strike. The players are already upset by the 17 games and few they were kinda backdoored by the decision. There won't be games 7 days a week because it'd be impossible to schedule from week to week. The networks outbid the streaming platforms on this round, they had to as it's the only thing bringing eyes to live tv...Not sure they'll be able to do it the next time around
As a reminder the NFL just put into place a 10 year collective bargaining agreement, that is an eternity in a NFL player's career. While only an expansion to 17 games was negotiated in the current agreement I could see a move to more games as a negotiation tactic by the owners if there are certain components to the agreements that players just cannot live with for a long period of time. For the higher end players it could be the dreaded franchise tag, for the rank and file it could be more roster spots. The bottom line is the players made a huge mistake by agreeing to 10 years and to get out of this they will have to give something up and more inventory of games is their biggest bargaining chip at this time.

brianwr112

Then the NFL better find a way to better protect from concussions because the players are using that and the other physical effects of games. The only way I can see them expanding past 17 is if the owners agree to totally get away from preseason games. And I actually agree with that. Let the teams hold a few joint practices. Have the HOF Game if you want. But no real reason to have them