NFL '21-22 - Asterisk?

14Red

I'm declaring this season, like the 2020 NBA season with an asterisk.

It's completely ridiculous that the NFL continues this charade of Covid protochols. You really don't know from week to week who's playing. Teams are picking up guys who were working out at the local high schools and YMCA's and putting them on the field a week later.

There have been so many games affected by this nonsense. Imagine telling a player he can't play because of a silly test? They aren't even sick!!!

Therefore this season to me is null and void. Oh sure they'll be someone who will win it all, but to me it's hollow.

Since LeBron got his in the asterisk year, maybe Tom Brady can get one in the NFL asterisk year. The two most prolific athletes over the past two decades benefiting would be interesting.

I'm declaring this season, like the 2020 NBA season with an asterisk.

It's completely ridiculous that the NFL continues this charade of Covid protochols. You really don't know from week to week who's playing. Teams are picking up guys who were working out at the local high schools and YMCA's and putting them on the field a week later.

There have been so many games affected by this nonsense. Imagine telling a player he can't play because of a silly test? They aren't even sick!!!

Therefore this season to me is null and void. Oh sure they'll be someone who will win it all, but to me it's hollow.
No one cares about your asterisk.

The players association pushed for the stringent protocols, and everyone is playing by the same rules. My Browns have suffered as much as any team from this.

I can make the argument that whichever team comes through this season deserves it more, because they have persevered through difficult conditions. Having a lot of quality depth is the sign of a great organization.

The players association pushed for the stringent protocols, and everyone is playing by the same rules. My Browns have suffered as much as any team from this.

I can make the argument that whichever team comes through this season deserves it more, because they have persevered through difficult conditions. Having a lot of quality depth is the sign of a great organization.
I would say the NFLPA has a ton of terrible decisions/agreements going WAY back.

With that said, the COVID policies will have a definite effect on who makes or doesn't make the playoffs this year.

You are correct, a franchises depth has been incredibly important this season. My point is that your season can change drastically in a mere testing of a couple of key players. And I've yet to hear any players who are significantly ill from this. Yes, some of the population gets sick, but that has nothing to do with the rosters of NFL teams.

I don't know if its so much an asterisk. All teams are still given the same set of guidelines to follow every week. Sure, you could argue that one week is able to play, but the next week hes not because guidelines have changed. However, every team has to abide by these rules. Its not as if the league made exemptions for the teams that are currently in position to make the playoffs.
You could argue that Week 15 (I think?) stunts this idea, but in this case the exemption was made so that both teams would be healthy enough to play, and not diminish another's chances.
The fact of the matter is that all teams must follow the fluid guidelines set each week. In order for this to become an asterisk, it must totally change the infrastructure.
In my personal opinion, the only asterisk that could define this season would be the new playoff format. Makes absolutely no sense to have a 9-8 team make the playoffs. I dont know how this season could be referenced in the future, maybe the Playoff-Expansion Era?
Now the NBA, using a play-in tourney for the playoffs definitively deserves an asterisk, IMO.

I dont think so.

They are relaxing the idiotic covid restrictions that come playoff time we shall only see the dumbest of the dumb even having a chance at missing due to the Rona.

Just as said in 2020 for the HS football championships, it will be the usual suspects vying for the title as if there was nothing going on.