NFHS Released Guidance for State Associations to Consider in Re-opening High School Athletics and Other Activities

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiodaveagain

Last edited:

After reading Page 9 of this borderline-insane concept of expectations, there is no way that even 90% of schools can comply with this.

Main Highlights include:
- Football being consider "High Risk"

Transporation: "needing multiple busses and vans" (good luck with that)

Three tiers of importance in regards to who needs to be at the events, and fans are all considered "non-essential", even family.

I can easily see our government saying "we approve of high school sports if all sports can follow these guidelines", and then actual school districts saying "YEAH RIGHT.". I can't be for sure, but I would assume it would actually be a situation where schools would lose money by trying to do Fall Sports. Also, how fair is it that some districts can comply but others can't? It's an all or nothing situation.

What will be interesting, is if they move the date even closer for teams to start workouts, meaning, are you going to bluff that "everything is looking ready to go for this Fall" or not even get started. It's all very bizarre.

It is impossible to comply with these guidelines for high school football. Hopefully administrators back their coaches before they would agree to something this drastic.

It is impossible to comply with these guidelines for high school football. Hopefully administrators back their coaches before they would agree to something this drastic.

The problem is....this has been the board nearly all states base their MS/HS rules. In full compliance...

It really sounds like a nightmare scenario for just off the top of my head a few reasons if season happens:

1. Districts are going to have to scramble to drop games that are a long distance away because it's going to take twice as many busses for the team, band...drivers and gasoline is not cheap.

2. Who is painting these lines, who's accountable for cleaning everything all the time? Another custodian who just hangs out at the stadium for this?

3. What happens when School A travels to School B who doesn't follow these guidelines as well?

4. If you think Concussion Protocol is going to be bad, just wait for this. Kids will actually not be feeling well but refusing to say so. Any symptoms have to go to the doctor? You know you'll have to have a doctor's note to allow them to play or that's a lawsuit if injury happens.

I understand the provisions that are being put in here, but I don't think the provisions are thought out to the point of how many schools will not be able to make this happen. This is a lot of money, right?

The no fans part is the killer.

Horrible news. And a sign of the times. Could this be the beginning of the end of high school sports? Do Jr High sports go by the wayside to afford high school sports? Do non-money maker sports like XC, baseball, softball, soccer, etc go away?

I am a huge proponent of playing in the fall. But if not and this is the beginning of the next chapter, there isn’t a small school district or a moderate to low income school district in the US that can afford sports under these rules.

Saw this on Reddit. Will Georgia compete this year?

Attachments

• A735B2FF-9D83-445A-AB3A-44E82163FAB8.png
    A735B2FF-9D83-445A-AB3A-44E82163FAB8.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
Saw this on Reddit. Will Georgia compete this year?

FWIW, the school in question is a military academy for boys. In the fall they only field XC and Football. The state government also does not fund RMA. I wonder if their decision wasn't based on how many boys are returning / signing up for military school or in this case NOT returning / signing up.

Right across the border the state of South Carolina today gave the go ahead for water parks to open up on June 15th. When I'm not teaching / coaching I work at one of these. I can tell you these places will be the testing grounds haha. Our park's capacity is 800 bodies. We have a staff meeting Thursday. I fully expect that capacity number to be in question at said meeting, among other guidelines, etc....

IF south carolina can open up water parks and not see a rise in cases then I almost guarantee we play sports in the fall. DHEC, the governing body for all things health down here controls pretty much all we do with these water parks, so the fact they gave us the go ahead is nothing short of amazing.

Stay tuned.

Whatever happens I will still have football this season as I still have hundreds of games still to watch.....

Very fair I had no idea. Thank you.

FWIW, the school in question is a military academy for boys. In the fall they only field XC and Football. The state government also does not fund RMA. I wonder if their decision wasn't based on how many boys are returning / signing up for military school or in this case NOT returning / signing up.

Right across the border the state of South Carolina today gave the go ahead for water parks to open up on June 15th. When I'm not teaching / coaching I work at one of these. I can tell you these places will be the testing grounds haha. Our park's capacity is 800 bodies. We have a staff meeting Thursday. I fully expect that capacity number to be in question at said meeting, among other guidelines, etc....

IF south carolina can open up water parks and not see a rise in cases then I almost guarantee we play sports in the fall. DHEC, the governing body for all things health down here controls pretty much all we do with these water parks, so the fact they gave us the go ahead is nothing short of amazing.

Stay tuned.

Very fair I had no idea. Thank you.

Yea a lone private military school for boys probably isn't going to shake much up at this point. HOWEVER they do play in the GHSA so the other schools in their conference / region will have to now scramble to find an opponent. In Georgia though they use the region format like Texas and other southern states to determine playoff qualifications so the other region schools would only be missing out on gate $$$ but to be honest a private military school in NE Georgia doesn't travel well.

If Metro Atlanta starts putting things on hold then we've got a problem.

Districts are going to have to scramble to drop games that are a long distance away because it's going to take twice as many busses for the team, band...drivers and gasoline is not cheap.

There will be no marching bands this fall. Brass players emit a lot of saliva in close quarters; no choirs or glee clubs either.

Last edited:
After reading the NFHS guidelines I am concerned for the first time that football won't be played. Very hard to do with those restrictions. Feel a little better about the moderate sports being played now.

After reading the NFHS guidelines I am concerned for the first time that football won't be played. Very hard to do with those restrictions. Feel a little better about the moderate sports being played now.

If there is football in any way shape or form many programs will find a way. I know Massillon will no matter what. Others may decide not worth it. But that throws schedules into chaos. So many other moving pieces and associated costs as well. Will be a job to figure all this out that's for sure.

But how does a school afford moderate sports (typically less gate and concession sales) and not have money making sports or more fan supported sports like football? And how does a school justify 20 XC runners on two buses or 22 soccer players on 2 buses when in reality, their ticket sales barely cover the cost of the program pre-Covid? There is also extra coach training, extra medical procedures, more sanitation materials and many other aspects that will cost big money to have any sport on the field. I'm not optimistic at all at any sports being played. And I would say that there will be cuts in multiple programs, starting with Jr. High and less money making programs.

I am with you on football. Its a stretch at this point to say there will be a high school season with these guidelines. And as a disclaimer, I am a huge proponent of us getting back to normal and playing fall sports.

I think everything relies on the s! If we can lower the cases in some of these redneck states and the disease looks to be under control? There may be a chance. Football being a high risk sport, along with wrestling, xcross, and hockey, it's not looking good. We may be turning into a pu$$Y country real quick.

I think everything relies on the s! If we can lower the cases in some of these redneck states and the disease looks to be under control? There may be a chance. Football being a high risk sport, along with wrestling, xcross, and hockey, it's not looking good. We may be turning into a pu$$Y country real quick.

Tell me about it. They make wearing a mask for 2 minutes at a Circle K some insurmountable chore for everyone involved. God only help us w/ complex issues like hs sports. Own worse enemies.

But how does a school afford moderate sports (typically less gate and concession sales) and not have money making sports or more fan supported sports like football? And how does a school justify 20 XC runners on two buses or 22 soccer players on 2 buses when in reality, their ticket sales barely cover the cost of the program pre-Covid? There is also extra coach training, extra medical procedures, more sanitation materials and many other aspects that will cost big money to have any sport on the field. I'm not optimistic at all at any sports being played. And I would say that there will be cuts in multiple programs, starting with Jr. High and less money making programs.

I am with you on football. Its a stretch at this point to say there will be a high school season with these guidelines. And as a disclaimer, I am a huge proponent of us getting back to normal and playing fall sports.
I know of no school that uses 2 busses for cross country. Same thing for soccer. 20-30 players = 1 bus.

That was done before this cam out. So could really change some of the recommendation.
The CDC now says that COVID-19 spreads from person to person contact, and then lists touching infected surfaces under a section titled, "The virus does not spread easily in other ways." The CDC adds: “This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads

CDC: Coronavirus mainly spreads through person-to-person contact

Also this
Ohio Department of Health says 1,031 (60%) of the state’s 1,720 coronavirus deaths have occurred in long-term care facilities.

Nursing home residents don't play and are very unlikely to attend high school sports.

I know of no school that uses 2 busses for cross country. Same thing for soccer. 20-30 players = 1 bus.
The guidelines are requiring social distancing on buses. Most buses carry around 22 seats. So about 10-12 people to a bus if you skip every other seat. Two buses required. So what I was saying is that hypothetically without your money maker sports supporting non money making sports, there is no way the smaller sports can self sustain without football. Its going to be all or none (or new rules where parents can drive etc).

The guidelines are requiring social distancing on buses. Most buses carry around 22 seats. So about 10-12 people to a bus if you skip every other seat. Two buses required. So what I was saying is that hypothetically without your money maker sports supporting non money making sports, there is no way the smaller sports can self sustain without football. Its going to be all or none (or new rules where parents can drive etc).
Gotcha, that makes sense. I wasn't putting 2 and 2 together. I haven't had my normal 3 cups of coffee today, so my fog is extra thick.

Again this season is coming down to the 's minions. If we continue to follow this imbecile POTUS, god help us all. I went shopping for an elderly man living alone in his 80's this morning. Quote," if there's no football this year, there's really nothing to live for". Pretty sad! Let's don't F this season up.

Again this season is coming down to the 's minions. If we continue to follow this imbecile POTUS, god help us all. I went shopping for an elderly man living alone in his 80's this morning. Quote," if there's no football this year, there's really nothing to live for". Pretty sad! Let's don't F this season up.

And "religious" organizations.

Be careful, even going to church. God doesn't disinfect the churches.

Last edited:
"The nothing to live for besides football" at 80, is absurd.

There will be football, it's called the NFL. Maybe NCAA.

Busses? I really don't know, how many does it take usually for a football program on an away game?

If there is fall sports, the first major decision is going to be to cut all junior varsity sports in most programs. That would save a good chunk of money and is almost the easiest choice to make.

I thought the social distancing guidelines were intended for relatively brief, casual human interactions. Applying them to other situations doesn't seem to make sense. A person exhales about 35 cubic feet of air in 30 minutes. If you're inside a bus for 30 minutes with an infected person it might not matter where you sit. Generally, it makes sense right now to avoid shaking hands. But not shaking hands before a wrestling match is pointless window dressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.