NFHS Guidance for opening up high school athletics

Sorry, I just truly believe this is over kill. I understand the virus and seriousness of it but living in fear is crazy. Just my opinion. I know I will probably get hammered on here for my opinion but so be it. And I am a 65 year old who is at risk. I will protect myself as best I can and I will be respectful of others when I am out and about (wear a mask if required, but if not will not wear one).

They just confirmed wrestling as a "high risk sport", which means that it's very unlikely that there will be a season this year. The only hope is that football happens! No football, No wrestling.

Last edited by a moderator:
They just confirmed wrestling as a "high risk sport", which means that it's very unlikely that there will be a season this year. The only hope is that football happens! No football, No wrestling.

Agreed if football happens then wrestling will happen.

Some points from the article

Phase 1

Groups that you have workout must be the same groups everytime
You must do a temperature check
Also you are not allowed to use free weights no spotting allowed

My favorite rule changes that seem a bit much

o Wrestlers may skill and drill without touching a teammate.

o A volleyball player should not use a single ball that others touch or hit in any manner.

A football player should not participate in team drills with a single ball that will be handed off or passed to other teammates.

It's going to be interesting what that OHSAA's insurance says....I can see the discussion going....so the state of Ohio has pretty much followed all NFHS guidelines correct. Well yes, but... No need to finish. You'll continue to do so

It's going to be interesting what that OHSAA's insurance says....I can see the discussion going....so the state of Ohio has pretty much followed all NFHS guidelines correct. Well yes, but... No need to finish. You'll continue to do so

OHSAA follows the NFHS playing rules so they have a seat in all their sports rules committees.

I do not know if OHSAA is required to follow this guidance from NFHS to have their same standing.

OHSAA provides catastrophic injury insurance to its member schools. I do not know how their policy carrier feels about this.

I would say that if OHSAA follows the NFHS guidelines that short of vaccine or other widely accepted treatment, we are not having WR or FB going forward. That is not my personal opinion on what should be happening, but just the way I read the guidance - and how it has been explained to me from some other people. Again, don't kill the messenger on this.

I bet if wrestling happens they will put in some very interesting guidelines. I'm sure wrestlers temperature will be taken and i could even see them going as far as no skin touching so no more singlets, long sleeve dri-fits and tights. Just what I have heard from a few folks.

I'm not sure what temperature has to do with anything. I'm 58 and just for and giggles started checking my temperature. Usually at wake up I am 99.8. After breakfast, 97.6. At lunch about 99.9 (working). At 5pm about 98.7. After watching the news 100.4. Life goes on IMHO. Will you and your family social distance this Memorial Day? I know I have not seen my grandkids in a while (but my kids do not live in NE Ohio). We will be together in a couple days.

Can't wait to see coaches dunking their kid's heads into ice buckets before COVID checks. All in if we dye their hair by weight classes too. Way more visible than writing on hands.