News-Herald: OHSAA Needs To Delay Start Of Season

May I just suggest that everyone hold on. Most schools are still practicing. Let them practice until school districts and the state come up with a more definite plan. Schools need to focus on school first and what is going to happen come their first day(s). Then, everyone can focus on football.

There are soooooo many more moving parts to get football rolling such as busing concerns, budgets (what if budgets are cut), personnel, more contingency plans, etc. I hope no one other than family members are planning on going to games because I highly doubt outside spectators will be allowed.

What I’m trying to say is, let everyone keep practicing as though the season will start normally, and give schools and OHSAA time to make these decisions. There is no point in speculating anything as nothing is for sure anymore.

Just a summation based on the college season, league only.
I understand, but colleges travel by bus or plane long distances,frequently out of state, and stay in a motel for non-league games. In HS the non-league games are frequently closer than some of your league games.

Not the same thing at all.

I would be willing to bet Football is the highest level of exposure
Actually the actual contest of playing football allows for limited viral load which is necessary to transmit the virus. The real threat if you don't distance is in the locker room or meeting room.

These are the facts. It will not be safer a month from now. It will not be safer four months from now. It will not be safe until we have an effective vaccine.
But given this age group, FAR FAR safer (6 times more---CDC stat) than the seasonal flu.

Since it is up to each school system whether they play games this year, this should be a local decision whether to delay the season. If a school system feels that they have not had an adequate number of practices and scrimmages to start their season, they can simply call off the games until they are ready. In most years, that would not be acceptable but this year is different. For computer points, these would be considered non-contests. Once a team starts to play their games, the only acceptable reason to cancel another game would be a outbreak of the virus at one of the two schools.

We definitely should not have a wide-reaching decision to delay the season for all schools because one area (or school) is harder hit than the rest of the state.

And who pays for the testing? Depending on the team size that would add 50 players x $50 per test(low end)=$2500 per game/$25,000 per year.

If one student in your school tests positive, will the health department require the entire school to be closed for 14 days...? This isn't just about a student on a team testing positive, This is a student that is in the school building around other students and staff all day as well.

If one student in your school tests positive, will the health department require the entire school to be closed for 14 days...? This isn't just about a student on a team testing positive, This is a student that is in the school building around other students and staff all day as well.
Even better: parents send their kids to school sick all of the time, and parents lie. Will a student who is told they had direct exposure to someone testing positive for COVID-19 self-quarantine for 14 days?

Even better: parents send their kids to school sick all of the time, and parents lie. Will a student who is told they had direct exposure to someone testing positive for COVID-19 self-quarantine for 14 days?

Not if he/his family really want him to play football.

These are the facts. It will not be safer a month from now. It will not be safer four months from now. It will not be safe until we have an effective vaccine.

Yep. Short of effective treatment or vaccine, our society has a decision to make about how to manage the disease. There's obviously opinions that run all across the spectrum on how to manage the disease.

Personally I am on the "deal with it, and isolate those who get 'sick'" part of the spectrum. Our state government and schools are on the other side of that spectrum.

Yep. Short of effective treatment or vaccine, our society has a decision to make about how to manage the disease. There's obviously opinions that run all across the spectrum on how to manage the disease.

Personally I am on the "deal with it, and isolate those who get 'sick'" part of the spectrum. Our state government and schools are on the other side of that spectrum.
Agreed. There are two prongs to getting back to playing contact sports. The first prong is for the virus to lessen its impact on our society. The second prong is for those in charge to believe that the virus has lessened its impact on our society. As long as we are in the gray area, I'm not real confident of those in charge letting the games be played.

Agreed. There are two prongs to getting back to playing contact sports. The first prong is for the virus to lessen its impact on our society. The second prong is for those in charge to believe that the virus has lessened its impact on our society. As long as we are in the gray area, I'm not real confident of those in charge letting the games be played.

If I was in charge this graph would make me a lot less worried about the current surge in cases. A 7 day rolling average of deaths has been offset by 10 & 16 days to reflect he lag between diagnosis and death. Note that the 10 day lag appears to fit the data very well. Bottom line is that deaths are barely moving up in the face of a massive increase in cases.

Exactly correct Yappi--You can bet Teacher Associations across Ohio (and the country) are and have been working on this same aspect of assuring "safe working conditions for staff and students" which is in every bargained contract--as a former Association President I know this would be critical to getting back to on-campus learning in August!! My wife has a meeting tomorrow as the staff is anxious to return, but only if safety concerns can be addressed prior to returning--some school districts in SW Ohio are pushing start dates back to close to Labor Day and after to take care of safety and technology needs.

I would be willing to bet Football is the highest level of exposure
[/QUOT
districts are starting to release their "return to school" plans. When there's a positive case, the school isn't shutting down... classrooms aren't shutting down... lunch rooms aren't shutting down... the individual who tests positive is quarantined for at least 14 days, yes.

i've yet to see something stating that an ENTIRE TEAM is "shut down for 14 days" if there is a positive case of COVID.
per the Summit County Health Department
Only those with contact to someone with Covid 19 need to quarantine
Contact is defined as 10-15 minutes within 6 feet of someone.
With physical distancing protocols and constant movement in a school or athletic environment that is not easy to achieve

Here's a sneak peek at how fall sports seasons will proceed.

Wow that is an eye-opening article from the rural state of Iowa--seasons just kept ending day after day due to positive tests and that's for baseball and softball (non-contact sports). I'm sure NFHS is monitoring all 50 states and supplying info to OHSAA and all other state associations--Kentucky moved their start date from July 15th to August 3rd just recently--not good on the horizon.

Wow that is an eye-opening article from the rural state of Iowa--seasons just kept ending day after day due to positive tests and that's for baseball and softball (non-contact sports). I'm sure NFHS is monitoring all 50 states and supplying info to OHSAA and all other state associations--Kentucky moved their start date from July 15th to August 3rd just recently--not good on the horizon.

These cases are happening with school not in session. Once school begins (which I am totally in favor of) the amount of cases that teams experience will increase. If teams must shut down for a positive case it makes a season very difficult to happen. Quarantine guidelines and spectator guidelines in my opinion are the two biggest obstacles. They must be addressed. I do not believe most high school teams can hold a football season without any paying fans.

These cases are happening with school not in session. Once school begins (which I am totally in favor of) the amount of cases that teams experience will increase. If teams must shut down for a positive case it makes a season very difficult to happen. Quarantine guidelines and spectator guidelines in my opinion are the two biggest obstacles. They must be addressed. I do not believe most high school teams can hold a football season without any paying fans.

In a conversation with many coaches and teachers yesterday evening, the consensus seems as much as we want and kids need to go back for a multitude of reasons, the lack of planning from an admin point of view (we have no idea what’s best) and with numbers spiking...how is this even going to work across the majority of the United States? We are sending kids back to school when things are significantly worse than when we decided to not have them at schools. What are the options? It’s a mess.

In a conversation with many coaches and teachers yesterday evening, the consensus seems as much as we want and kids need to go back for a multitude of reasons, the lack of planning from an admin point of view (we have no idea what’s best) and with numbers spiking...how is this even going to work across the majority of the United States? We are sending kids back to school when things are significantly worse than when we decided to not have them at schools. What are the options? It’s a mess.
This is not about what is going on in the United States. It is about what is happening in Ohio.
ICU’s in the state are not at capacity nor are there hospitals that are overwhelmed with patients. Kids in this age group DO NOT die from this!!! They are not at risk of serious complications from this. They are more likely to die on the school bus to school or to an event than die from Covid. Why are Some parents and school personnel ok with the level of risk of accidents, seasonal flu, etc. as opposed to this? Mitigate risk, but we do far more harm to kids by Not having in school or participating in athletics!!

Here are some protocol:

Attachments

• 117C50EE-CFA2-4A2A-8C7F-035A0DB00FBF.png
    117C50EE-CFA2-4A2A-8C7F-035A0DB00FBF.png
    523.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 9156073F-8C79-4D76-A710-ACD29A75F401.png
    9156073F-8C79-4D76-A710-ACD29A75F401.png
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 34000BBD-3444-4953-B224-EBD08AA0EDA7.png
    34000BBD-3444-4953-B224-EBD08AA0EDA7.png
    1 MB · Views: 13
This is not about what is going on in the United States. It is about what is happening in Ohio.
ICU’s in the state are not at capacity nor are there hospitals that are overwhelmed with patients. Kids in this age group DO NOT die from this!!! They are not at risk of serious complications from this. They are more likely to die on the school bus to school or to an event than die from Covid. Why are Some parents and school personnel ok with the level of risk of accidents, seasonal flu, etc. as opposed to this? Mitigate risk, but we do far more harm to kids by Not having in school or participating in athletics!!

What a dope. Is it March? Because they can spread it to the staff, to their other family members, possibly be our very sick themselves. Just stop posting Boomer.

Very distressing news for the "only the old, sick folks over 60 get COVID"----from ONE county in Texas today:

85 Babies test positive for Covid in Texas today!!! "IN ONE COUNTY! Not the entire state of Texas, but in just 1 county - And Nueces County is nowhere close to the biggest; 16th most populous w/ ~ 360K (top 6 counties have well over a million each). Texas has 254 counties". Remember COVID doesn't know county or state lines as far as we know!!

Mitigate risk, but we do far more harm to kids by Not having in school or participating in athletics!!
How do you know that? How do you know what not having kids in school will do if it's temporary? What if we find out that kids like soccer or cross country more than football? What if closing schools protected kids from exposure to Covid-19 and being back in school makes this explode with poor results. You don't know how much harm is done. I agree about mitigating risk. I agree kids should be back in school. I even think that schools shouldn't be shut down with just a few cases. CDC guidelines from experts that really have no agenda, but keeping as many of us safe and healthy as possible.

How do you know that? How do you know what not having kids in school will do if it's temporary? What if we find out that kids like soccer or cross country more than football? What if closing schools protected kids from exposure to Covid-19 and being back in school makes this explode with poor results. You don't know how much harm is done. I agree about mitigating risk. I agree kids should be back in school. I even think that schools shouldn't be shut down with just a few cases. CDC guidelines from experts that really have no agenda, but keeping as many of us safe and healthy as possible.
Nothing.

Go to school.