New SW Ohio conference- Three Rivers Conference

For a couple of you Bethel locals.... do you think the numbers will continue to increase over the next 5-10 years? I figure at some point the increasing numbers will level off, I just don't know how much building/growth is still going on in the new developments there. But if the next 4 years are like what has happened in the previous 4 years. Bethel will for sure be D4 in 2023. Their high school will have doubled in the amount of kids they have in just an 8 year period.

Hard to predict continued growth. One family owns over 200 acres on both sides of st rt 40 and depending on what they do with it may slow development. Over by Phoneton homes have almost reached as close to 40 as they can get due to businesses blocking the area to more residential development. There is a turkey farm blocking expansion between rt 40 and Ross rd to the north. Additionally, residential expansion can not go more than about a half mile north of the school (1 1/2 miles north of 40 ) due to topographical issues with the ability to send sewage back towards Huber.
My bet would be growth slows, but even at half current growth rate they gain approximately 20 boys in high school per year. They have the land just north of the school to build an entire new school system, but they pulled some stunts with the community that cause voters to be very cautious about voting for new buildings.
The newest gym they have was originally owned by the athletic boosters and leased back to the school on a 40 year agreement. Not sure if that is still the case or not. Bethel voters voted down the levy to build a new gym, then the boosters raised their own money to build it and recoup their money over 40 years. How is that not flipping the finger to the voter?

They have lost seven straight years to Lehman. Northridge and Troy Christian will be the only winnable games year in and year out for them, and Troy Christian had their way with them last decade when both were in the NWCC for football. This is a terrible move for Riverside in football, not to mention most other sports.
Troy Christian will be a league title contender. That’s going to be a good program with the new coaching in place.

Troy Christian will be a league title contender. That’s going to be a good program with the new coaching in place.
You think they will be good enough to compete with Covington, Milton Union and Miami East? I know Miami East was down some last year, but they still have a quality program. I am not saying it can't happen, but I just find it unlikely to happen very soon if at all.

You think they will be good enough to compete with Covington, Milton Union and Miami East? I know Miami East was down some last year, but they still have a quality program. I am not saying it can't happen, but I just find it unlikely to happen very soon if at all.

They have the best coach in Miami County. They have a few college type guys walking the halls. Who knows, makes the league even more exciting. I am pretty positive they will play "solid" games quickly. Unknown how quickly if ever that will turn to league titles.

I for 100 know this. There will be some tough, grown men attitudes on that team. That can do a lot.

They have the best coach in Miami County. They have a few college type guys walking the halls. Who knows, makes the league even more exciting. I am pretty positive they will play "solid" games quickly. Unknown how quickly if ever that will turn to league titles.

I for 100 know this. There will be some tough, grown men attitudes on that team. That can do a lot.
I guess that makes sense. With their wrestling program being so good it seems like they would have some tough dudes in the school. I had never thought of that. I hope they do well..

I don't know the overall history but TC split their recent series with east. This is when they were "filling in" for Bradford I believe. TC played Covington tough too during that period. They lost both games but the last one was by 1 point and the TC coach went for 2 to win. I don't know that they ever have played Milton in football. Those two years TC was coached by Nolan 1 year and Jones 1 year if I remember correctly. They had good talent those years. If they have the talent in the program still Nolan will have them competitive enough time be considered contenders for the title despite having lower numbers compared to those teams. Yak yak seems to be in tune to their talent level better than me so follow his lead there.

I guess that makes sense. With their wrestling program being so good it seems like they would have some tough dudes in the school. I had never thought of that. I hope they do well..

One problem with Wrestling being soooo good, there "elite" good. Those guys are 24/7 wrestling and sometimes they have to much going on for football.
I don't know the overall history but TC split their recent series with east. This is when they were "filling in" for Bradford I believe. TC played Covington tough too during that period. They lost both games but the last one was by 1 point and the TC coach went for 2 to win. I don't know that they ever have played Milton in football. Those two years TC was coached by Nolan 1 year and Jones 1 year if I remember correctly. They had good talent those years. If they have the talent in the program still Nolan will have them competitive enough time be considered contenders for the title despite having lower numbers compared to those teams. Yak yak seems to be in tune to their talent level better than me so follow his lead there.

I think the talent level is probably a notch or two below the early Nolan/Jones years. That is why I am a bit unsure of things like conference titles and playoffs. I do know they will play a tough brand of football the school can be proud of and be competitive fairly quickly.

Last time TC played Miami East it was 42 -21 and east was having a pretty good year. I recall a time when TC was down and seemed unable to keep talent. The basketball program was in shambles and top quality talent was leaving for surrounding schools. They lost a D 1 collegiate lineman to Northmont, another top area lineman to Troy (Lee Blackford) a all conference defensive linebacker to Tipp City, and a very solid running back to Techumseh all in a two year period. Then the basketball program was resurrected and players began to stay more than go, then began to come to TC to play sports. The in became greater than the out.

So who knows, a key factor could be the economy, the class that lost so many players fell in the same time period as the last significant economic crisis. Those kids graduated in 2010 and 2011, so 2008 found many freshman leaving potentially due to economic difficulties?

They will not compete year in and out with Covington or Milton in my opinion simply due to tradition of those programs. With the new voucher expansion and every public school on the west side of Miami county being eligible to attend TC, that may change their numbers a bit as well. I do know they are getting at least two incoming freshman move ins for basketball next year as freshmen from the Xenia area.

I don’t see TC losing kids. Those kids typically go BACK to their original public school. Milton has lost its fair share of wrestlers to TC and one football player that I know of. For the most part I feel that these kids are TC from elementary into high school.
Correct me if I’m wrong.
Troy C could be a VERY strong D6-7 with Nolan and Goudy coaching.

I don’t see TC losing kids. Those kids typically go BACK to their original public school. Milton has lost its fair share of wrestlers to TC and one football player that I know of. For the most part I feel that these kids are TC from elementary into high school.
Correct me if I’m wrong.
Troy C could be a VERY strong D6-7 with Nolan and Goudy coaching.

Its a mix bag of the TC Lifers and the middle school transfers. I think TC rarely gets kids moving in during high school but it happens. I know more of moving out than in when it comes to HS Football. Basketball probably the opposite.

Will the new voucher system for failing schools change all that? Probably.

No failing schools in Miami County. Would likely be Dayton public or Bradford.
The entire west side of the county is now open for aid. Only Bethel and Miami East are not. My information comes from some private school sources who are now going into communities looking for potential candidates for vouchers. I myself do not comprehend how a school like Newton, who has been the top of academics in Miami County, gets included. The simple answer is there are sub groups within a school body and if a sub group fails then the school is considered to be failing. So the list of eligible schools I have for Miami County are West Milton, Tipp City, Troy, Piqua, Newton, Covington and Bradford.

Last time TC played Miami East it was 42 -21 and east was having a pretty good year. I recall a time when TC was down and seemed unable to keep talent. The basketball program was in shambles and top quality talent was leaving for surrounding schools. They lost a D 1 collegiate lineman to Northmont, another top area lineman to Troy (Lee Blackford) a all conference defensive linebacker to Tipp City, and a very solid running back to Techumseh all in a two year period. Then the basketball program was resurrected and players began to stay more than go, then began to come to TC to play sports. The in became greater than the out.

So who knows, a key factor could be the economy, the class that lost so many players fell in the same time period as the last significant economic crisis. Those kids graduated in 2010 and 2011, so 2008 found many freshman leaving potentially due to economic difficulties?

They will not compete year in and out with Covington or Milton in my opinion simply due to tradition of those programs. With the new voucher expansion and every public school on the west side of Miami county being eligible to attend TC, that may change their numbers a bit as well. I do know they are getting at least two incoming freshman move ins for basketball next year as freshmen from the Xenia area.

Gesh, if there getting more kids into that class its already beating top end d1 schools.
The entire west side of the county is now open for aid. Only Bethel and Miami East are not. My information comes from some private school sources who are now going into communities looking for potential candidates for vouchers. I myself do not comprehend how a school like Newton, who has been the top of academics in Miami County, gets included. The simple answer is there are sub groups within a school body and if a sub group fails then the school is considered to be failing. So the list of eligible schools I have for Miami County are West Milton, Tipp City, Troy, Piqua, Newton, Covington and Bradford.
Correct, many many miami county school district residents now will be eligible for private school vouchers.

My source told me I need to list specifically which schools are affected because not every school of every district is eligible. This gets pretty confusing. E=elementary, M=middle school, H= high school.

If you attend Troy, Heywood E, Forest E and Cookson E are eligible.
If you attend Tipp City- Broadway E and Tippecanoe M are eligible.
If you attend Piqua- Washington E, Springcreek E and Piqua H are eligible.
If you attend Newton- Newton H is eligible.
If you attend Milton- Milton E and Milton H are eligible.
If you attend Covington- E, M and H are all eligible.
If you attend Bradford- E and H are eligible.
If you attend Miami East or Bethel- no vouchers available at this time.

Gesh, if there getting more kids into that class its already beating top end d1 schools.
I ask them if they were aware TC has a large number of kids at that grade, he said they were, but want to pursue the opportunity based on curricular and athletic considerations. Have you seen that group play in competitive contests?

My intention is to get to the Feb 4 contest vs Alter

Last edited:
I ask them if they were aware TC has a large number of kids at that grade, he said they were, but want to pursue the opportunity based on curricular and athletic considerations. Have you seen that group play in competitive contests?

My intention is to get to the Feb 4 contest vs Alter

I have not seen them. A friend said they and miami east are really good for 8th. But, its hard to say it does not translate. Look at Arcanum. They were awesome in 8th and did not carry over. Let me know your thoughts vs. Alter

My source told me I need to list specifically which schools are affected because not every school of every district is eligible. This gets pretty confusing. E=elementary, M=middle school, H= high school.

If you attend Troy, Heywood E, Forest E and Cookson E are eligible.
If you attend Tipp City- Broadway E and Tippecanoe M are eligible.
If you attend Piqua- Washington E, Springcreek E and Piqua H are eligible.
If you attend Newton- Newton H is eligible.
If you attend Milton- Milton E and Milton H are eligible.
If you attend Covington- E, M and H are all eligible.
If you attend Bradford- E and H are eligible.
If you attend Miami East or Bethel- no vouchers available at this time.
This is kind of late breaking changes correct. This might save Lehman.

I have not seen them. A friend said they and miami east are really good for 8th. But, its hard to say it does not translate. Look at Arcanum. They were awesome in 8th and did not carry over. Let me know your thoughts vs. Alter
You're right....it might not translate to high school but right now they look promising. I don't think they play East....might have played a scrimmage.

I watched Troy Christian last season in a game in a game where they surrendered 675 yards on the ground. Not looking to put them down, but is this coaching change of their’s supposed to make such a big impact so quick?

I watched Troy Christian last season in a game in a game where they surrendered 675 yards on the ground. Not looking to put them down, but is this coaching change of their’s supposed to make such a big impact so quick?
yes. dude was a legend at TC. he should turn things around instantly

You're right....it might not translate to high school but right now they look promising. I don't think they play East....might have played a scrimmage.
You are right, it may not translate but it's nice to have some talent coming up. That Arcanum group (last year and this years class combined), has to be the most disappointing group I've ever seen come through any school. At the Junior High level I would have bet you that they would have been one of the best basketball teams in the entire area when they got to high school, and we know that never came true.

As for Miami East, I got to see their 8th grade team play football and basketball this year. They do have Curtis Enis' son playing, and he's a heck of a football player, but overall the class is much better at basketball. I don't know how well it will transfer over to high school, but it's nice that they have kids with a lot of skill, and not just kids that are bigger than everyone. To me, that could translate over to more success when they get to high school.

I don’t think it’s a quick change but Improvement right away.

yes. dude was a legend at TC. he should turn things around instantly
Minor correction He was a legend at Troy. He was only at TC three years I think. Did a great job reestablishing the program at TC in that short amount of time. There will be immediate improvement for sure.

They played a 3-3-5 last year with no depth and every kid going both ways. A recipe to be gashed all day in the running game. I found that to be a poor choice. I think scheme alone will improve some things. But, your overall point about the talent is true. Its going take more than two legendary coaches to get them to be at the top of the new conference consistently. This is a major major first step though.

So a year away from this league starting. Covington, Milton, East all play this year. Bethel plays Covington and East. Are there any other TRC matchups this year? Lehman? Riverside? Northridge and Milton play. Who else?

Northridge would not win a game vs any of this leagues teams the last few years. Troy Christian has played them and dominated them two of the last three times. Bethel struggled to get a win this year.

I can't imagine any school from this group would want to face the Indians unless Covington or Miami East may try it hoping to better prepare for playoff competition.

I am betting Ft Loramie stays on a few schedules as an OOC opener.

Division wise Troy Christian is deceiving as a division 6 school in football. They do not recruit to the sport and should be looked at talent wise as a Riverside or Lehman or Bethel. Certainly not at the upper end of the conference. They just lost some of the glue to their program in coach Jones so moving forward is a big question how strong they will be ?

As for conference names, I seriously doubt anything with Stillwater will be in the name. Only Covington and Milton would closely relate to such a name. RIVERSIDE, LEHMAN, TROY CHRISTIAN, MIAMI EAST, BETHEL are all much more associated with the Great Miami River. I believe Northridge has both rivers flowing through their boundary.

Geography may not even play a factor in the new name. They may opt for something like "Diversity In Sports" or DIS. This will be a much more diverse conference with public and private, rural and inner city, big and small, growing rapidly and shrinking rapidly. I hope the name reflects the diversity in some way, This conference was not forged from geographical associations as much as conference rejections from the past affiliations they had,
Fort Loramie and Minster are pretty much going to be each other's indefinite OOC opener unless FL joins MAC/ they become in same conference elsewhere.