New small school league in NW Ohio?

The GMC still needs to expand. You can schedule around 9 in other sports, but the odd number in football isn't feasible.

The question is, do they go with 1 or 3 of the Edon/Hilltop/Montpelier trio, knowing they'd be football only and happy in the BBC. Or do they go with Paulding.

There's also the question of what happens in a few years if Antwerp realizes they can't support 11 man.

Even though they aren't very good, my guess would be Paulding.

The GMC still needs to expand. You can schedule around 9 in other sports, but the odd number in football isn't feasible.

The question is, do they go with 1 or 3 of the Edon/Hilltop/Montpelier trio, knowing they'd be football only and happy in the BBC. Or do they go with Paulding.

There's also the question of what happens in a few years if Antwerp realizes they can't support 11 man.
I think Antwerp should go 8 man as well. Both them and Holgate should join the Buckeye Border Conference. Leaving the GMC with 6, I'd add Paulding and Montpelier to make it an even 8. If you want to add Edon and Hilltop to make 10 that's fine too. I personally wouldn't because who knows what their football numbers will be in 10 years.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Bob Olwin agreed yesterday to be the head coach at Edon. Not sure if it will matter, but his history in the GMC could be a point in Edon's favor for joining the conference.

Last edited:
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Bob Olwin agreed yesterday to be the head coach at Edon. Not sure if it will matter, but his history in the GMC could be a point in Edon's favor for joining the conference.

Bob's gotta be getting up there...he was our coach back in 1986 and he wasn't in his 20's. I wouldn't be on this being a long-term - none of his stops have been.

Bob's gotta be getting up there...he was our coach back in 1986 and he wasn't in his 20's. I wouldn't be on this being a long-term - none of his stops have been.

He was at Faurview 13 years. But otherwise, spot on. He's easily in his 60s now, its been 41 years since taking his first job at Antwerp, and he's had A LOT of jobs. This is a transitional hire for Edon. Someone to keep the sport afloat until a younger coach comes along. And probably a transition into their future with 8 man.

Olwin HC Record 212-62:
Antwerp 79-82
Mechanicsburg 82-84
Tiffin Calvert 85-88
Tiffin U-OC 89-91
Ridgedale/Arlington 92-94
Fairview 95-08
Versailles 08-11
Lake 12
Ada 13-17
Fairview Asst 18-19
Edon

Another great coach's resume I would be interested to see is Mike Vicars with all of his stops

Last edited:
Olwin HC Record 212-62:
Antwerp 79-82
Mechanicsburg 82-84
Tiffin Calvert 85-88
Tiffin U-OC 89-91
Ridgemont/Arlington 92-94
Fairview 95-08
Versailles 08-11
Lake 12
Ada 13-17
Fairview Asst 18-19
Edon

Another great coach's resume I would be interested to see is Mike Vicars with all of his stops

actually it was Ridgedale instead of Ridgemont...

Mike Vicars
Holgate ? 86-88?
Ada 89-95
Hilltop 95-98
Delta 99-06
Genoa 07-12
(Clay)
Delta 13
Swanton 14-17
Bedford Mi 19

I pretty much expect it to happen now. Not sure why they ever left the GMC in the first place?

If I had to guess: football.

They were already associate members of the NWC from 1967 on, and then joined in all sports in 1974. Keep in mind in the GMC, Ayersville didn't start football until 1976. Holgate 77. The first year Tinora shows up in the OHSAA rankings is 74, so if they had a team it was JV level. That would have meant the GMC had 5 football teams at the time Paulding left.

My guess is, the NWC pushed them to decide on full membership or get out for football, and they took full membership. Had they stayed patient a couple of years, there's probably a good chance they stay. Although in either league for a long time they stuck out like a sore thumb enrollment wise, considering they were D3 in football as late as 1996 and were in D2 in basketball into the early 2000s (I remember a couple of Defiance-Paulding sectional games after Defiance fell out of D1).