New small school league in NW Ohio?

chs1971

I heard this rumor today. Anybody else hearing things?

SBC
Hopewell-Loudon
Lakota
Gibsonburg
Calvert

NBC
Elmwood
Woodmore

TAAC
Northwood
Cardinal Stritch
Ottawa Hills

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but it does make sense, at least for football. I assume this is a reaction to Gibsonburg and Northwood missing the playoffs. They league could maybe help that a little I guess.

Reasonably situated along 23, but why not Lake also?
I'd argue that Lake fits just perfect in the NBC. Genoa, Lake, Eastwood, Otsego, Rossford are about as close as you can get in terms of similarity, size, demographics, IMO.

If anything, Northwood should be joining back up to the NBC (Old SLL). They are DIV now and have a steady influx of E. Toledo kids. They would never have to worry about missing the playoffs again.

Last edited:
I'd argue that Lake fits just perfect in the NBC. Genoa, Lake, Eastwood, Otsego, Rossford are about as close as you can get in terms of similarity, size, demographics, IMO.

If anything, Northwood should be joining back up to the NBC (Old SLL). They are DIV now and have a steady influx of E. Toledo kids. They would never have to worry about missing the playoffs again.
Rossford - 432
Fostoria - 398
Eastwood 362
Lake - 361
Otsego - 358
Genoa - 342

Northwood - 257. Doesn't seem like a good fit, and they are D5.

Last edited:
Elmwood - 279
Lakota - 278
Northwood - 257
Woodmore - 250
Ottawa Hills - 228
Hopewell Loudon - 209
Gibsonburg - 199

Cardinal Stritch - 136
Calvert - 87

I'd forget the two little parochial schools and talk to Margaretta at 254, or maybe they have and the thinking is a 10 team league.

Drop Fostoria. Add Oak Harbor, Swanton and Maumee.

Not going to happen, but it would balance the NBC a little more geographically.

Elmwood - 279
Lakota - 278
Northwood - 257
Woodmore - 250
Ottawa Hills - 228
Hopewell Loudon - 209
Gibsonburg - 199

Cardinal Stritch - 136
Calvert - 87

I'd forget the two little parochial schools and talk to Margaretta at 254, or maybe they have and the thinking is a 10 team league.

Stritch seems to be taking an enrollment approach that will hold them steady, as far as available athletes. Calvert's situation, I don't know but why take in a team that small when 8-man is gaining momentum and you might lose them?

Elmwood, Woodmore, Northwood to SBC River. Solidifies River.

NBC will then target Oak Harbor and Maumee. Maumee would obviously be all over that but Oak Harbor will have tough decision to make. If that fails, Genoa, Eastwood and Lake will have an invite from SBC Bay on the table. Possibly Rossford as well.

Should be another round of fun to watch unfold.

Please let it happen then the SBC Lake teams can pull out, team up with Sr High and Madison, extricate Clyde and possibly add Ross?
Senior High, Madison, Bellevue, Sandusky, Columbian, Perkins, Norwalk and Ross.

Rossford - 432
Fostoria - 398
Eastwood 362
Lake - 361
Otsego - 358
Genoa - 342

Northwood - 257. Doesn't seem like a good fit, and they are D5.

I guess my late comment about the open enrolled athletes Northwood has all of a sudden is where I was going. The Rangers have competed jsut fine against Rossford and Lake as of late.

OH has no reason to leave the SBC.

As Johnson mentions Maumee would be a nice fit for the NBC AND get the ball rolling in the NLL/TRAC/TCL movement.

Elmwood, Woodmore, Northwood to SBC River. Solidifies River.

NBC will then target Oak Harbor and Maumee. Maumee would obviously be all over that but Oak Harbor will have tough decision to make. If that fails, Genoa, Eastwood and Lake will have an invite from SBC Bay on the table. Possibly Rossford as well.

Should be another round of fun to watch unfold.

I don't think if it happens that Edison would accept eastwood,genoa and lake.too much distance plus eastwood would kill us in sports
no way that will happen.

I don't think if it happens that Edison would accept eastwood,genoa and lake.too much distance plus eastwood would kill us in sports
no way that will happen.
Further than even the TRAC schools. I'd wondered about travel after the original post, that's a lot of travel along 23 for those small schools, in every sport.

I would like to see Otsego in the NWOAL. Let the NBC fall apart and disperse. Bryan to another league. Northwood to the NBC
Otsego to the NWOAL would be great, Bryan is in the right spot, WBL is the only league that they could consider. If Patrick Henry continues trending downward and the BVC loses any schools they could consider the switch.

I heard this rumor today. Anybody else hearing things?

SBC
Hopewell-Loudon
Lakota
Gibsonburg
Calvert

NBC
Elmwood
Woodmore

TAAC
Northwood
Cardinal Stritch
Ottawa Hills

I suggested several weeks ago on another forum that Tiffin Calvert, Margaretta, SJCC, H-L, Lakota and Gibsonburg should just go ahead and try and team up with the eastern TAAC schools (Ottawa Hills and Stritch) and NBC small's Elmwood and Woodmore. You could add Toledo Christian and Emmanual Christian for other sports (SBC River already has New Riegel, Old Fort, Danbury and SMCC). That's 16 teams total, which fills a significant portion of a basketball or volleyball schedule and eliminates the double round robin, which created alot of travel. These teams tend to play each other in sports anyway.

That wasn't to start a rumor, simply a thought. The 10-team league isn't ideal, but scheduling is so hard. Northwood (growing) and Maumee could go the NBC.

So to sum it all up

Football:
Tiffin Calvert
H-L
SJCC
Margaretta
Lakota
Gibsonburg
Ottawa Hills
Stritch
Elmwood
Woodmore

All other:
Danbury
SMCC
Toledo Christian
New Riegel
Old Fort
Emmanual Christian

It's a lot of teams, but they all play each other anyway.

Otsego to the NWOAL would be great, Bryan is in the right spot, WBL is the only league that they could consider. If Patrick Henry continues trending downward and the BVC loses any schools they could consider the switch.

The BVC has an opening right now (they never filled the H-L spot)

Stritch seems to be taking an enrollment approach that will hold them steady, as far as available athletes. Calvert's situation, I don't know but why take in a team that small when 8-man is gaining momentum and you might lose them?

Calvert has more than held their own over the years (this year is first in the last 8 years they didn't make the playoffs) and had over 40 kids on their football roster. They've been fairly consistent in all sports.

I don't know what the right answer is for every school but I do believe Gibsonburg and Northwood, as well as the switch to 8 man football at some schools, that probably got this ball rolling and it's a good thing. Regardless of how this all shakes out I think a lot of schools will be in better situations in the next couple of years if the AD's and communities can get behind the idea of losing some traditional rivalries and possibly having to travel a little farther a few times a year. Was it poor foresight or just crazy demographic shifting that's leading to another big league shuffle in less than a decade?

I do understand the hesitance to make big changes when there are some serious risks financially with revenue and travel but some of these teams are being beaten consistently or dominating certain sports yearly. In my opinion you'll see a lot more fans show up when they believe they'll see a pretty competitive game every week. Sometimes those programs who don't win now will have a better chance to win and will play in big games with bigger crowds they cant now. You can keep rivalries in the non-conference like Defiance and Napoleon have. The teams who dominate now may not win every season anymore but when they play for a championship it will have been harder earned and you'll be tougher for the playoffs. Lastly the stability of sports and having teams for each sport or level of the sport is important.

Last edited:

The WBL is at 10.....there's no place for another team.....besides, I'm fairly certain Kenton wouldn't enjoy that drive to Bryan.

There are some that put some deep thought into these sort of things and others that just pick their local favorite and say "I'd like to see school X in this league."

So much goes into this, so many aspects need considered, and it has to make sense for everyone.

There are some that put some deep thought into these sort of things and others that just pick their local favorite and say "I'd like to see school X in this league."

So much goes into this, so many aspects need considered, and it has to make sense for everyone.
Most of these conversations are just wild speculation. Most that post only think about one sport. Not all sports.

The BVC has an opening right now (they never filled the H-L spot)
Not sure the BVC wants to fill that spot as based on how few 9th and 10th graders Vanlue had playing football I would guess next year will finally be the last year they field a 11 man football team.