New(er) Band CAAMP

Steel Valley FB

Is anyone familiar with CAAMP or like their sound? I started listening to them about a year ago and they’re pretty solid in their genre. Alt-County/Folk, I guess it would be. I think listening to the Avett Brothers made Spotify recommend them.

They formed at Ohio U and two of the three members are from Upper Arlington. If I can imbed a decent video of All the Debts I Owe, that’s probably their most-known song. Not sure how big they are nationally; my buddy said he heard their new release Peach Fuzz on CD102.5 here in Columbus, but it might be getting airplay only because of the local ties. I did get to see them at the Newport in December, where they sold out three nights. I had four free tickets to the second show, but it was the night of the OSU/Clemson game...so, absolutely not, I couldn’t go.

Let’s see if I did this right. This is just off the studio album...they don’t have actual music videos yet (ever?) or any good quality live videos that I could see.

It’s about a bank robbery by a dad with his wife and three kids, possibly waiting in the car; I can’t tell.

Last edited:
Good stuff. I'm a fan of folk music and glad its made a resurgence over the past decade or so. Big fan of the banjo (minus hearing it on a Tennessee canoe trip) and think Mumford and Son has $ucked since losing it.

Good stuff. I'm a fan of folk music and glad its made a resurgence over the past decade or so. Big fan of the banjo (minus hearing it on a Tennessee canoe trip) and think Mumford and Son has $ucked since losing it.

I’m glad at least one person likes it. Here’s another one off that album. It’s more bluegrassy than some of their other stuff as you said that’s your thing. You’d probably like See the World, 26, and Ohio of this same album for the banjo. His voice is haunting...I guess would be the best word to describe it.

Yeah, it was strange how Mumford did an abrupt 180 and pretty much abandoned what got them to where they were at that point. I like a lot of stuff off Wilder Mind, but it’s like I’d found a new group to listen to. I first saw them on Edge of Country in 2010 or so...the video for The Cave and it blew me away. Then the radio and the bars overplayed I Will Wait to death and now I hate that song lol.

This is a very short song that starts slow then after the “yip” it banjos hard.

Last edited:
The adult rock station Spectrum on Sirius is all over Caamp and play them a lot. They have a nice 1st album that is cool, let's see if they can continue the songwriting skills when they have to come up with new material for their next one. By the way here is the "hit" that is getting most of the air play, much more "pop" than the 2 tracks above>

Haim is another new(er) band in the same genre if you like the more pop sounding Peach Fuzz>

I’m glad at least one person likes it. Here’s another one off that album. It’s more bluegrassy than some of their other stuff as you said that’s your thing. You’d probably like See the World, 26, and Ohio of this same album for the banjo. His voice is haunting...I guess would be the best word to describe it.

Yeah, it was strange how Mumford did an abrupt 180 and pretty much abandoned what got them to where they were at that point. I like a lot of stuff off Wilder Mind, but it’s like I’d found a new group to listen to. I first saw them on Edge of Country in 2010 or so...the video for The Cave and it blew me away. Then the radio and the bars overplayed I Will Wait to death and now I hate that song lol.

This is a very short song that starts slow then after the “yip” it banjos hard.
As soon as you posted your OP I went and downloaded all things CAAMP. ;)

I'm that guy that finds a new song(s) and plays it to death. Been listening the past two days. It is yet to be killed. lol

Agree 100% on Mumford pulling a 180. Their first two mainstream albums were dynamite and then they sold out. There is really not a bad song on those first two and as a matter of fact many are better than what the studio execs decided to push on the radio (Ghosts That We Knew & their cover of The Boxer).

Regardless, I really love the bluegrass/folk sound.

The adult rock station Spectrum on Sirius is all over Caamp and play them a lot. They have a nice 1st album that is cool, let's see if they can continue the songwriting skills when they have to come up with new material for their next one. By the way here is the "hit" that is getting most of the air play, much more "pop" than the 2 tracks above>

Haim is another new(er) band in the same genre if you like the more pop sounding Peach Fuzz>

How’s it going Auggie? I can always count on you to join a music thread. :)

Actually the two songs I posted are from their debut album CAAMP and their latest single Peach Fuzz is from their 2019 follow-up album By and By, which is the tour I just went to. By and By is good, but not as strong their debut, just IMO.

Peach Fuzz is definitely at attempt to be more mainstream/pop, as you pointed out; but it’s the only song like that. The rest of the songs are like the first album. Peach Fuzz is ok, but not the sound that drew me to them. The same friend I mentioned above sent me a YouTube video of Peach Fuzz played alongside of an older song called Brimful of Asher by Cornershop that got some airplay on alt-rock stations in the late 90’s and the guitar melody is either a complete ripoff or an amazing coincidence. It’s like CAAMP is singing over the other song lol. I’m not sure what to think about it as they don’t seem like guys who would intentionally do that, let alone intend for it to go unnoticed. I’ll see if I can find it later.

I like this.

New to me recently but around for a decade or so is the duo (band) Mandolin Orange. Check out "The Wolves".

Seriously? I just found them this summer and really liked them. They are SO mellow and relaxing. I don’t sleep to music, but if I did that would be what I’d use lol. I was surprised to see they were just two people, maybe husband and wife though I’m not sure. Old Ties and Companions was the first song I heard then I saved about 10 more to my Spotify. Wildfire is also great, with a post Civil War reconstruction theme.

Irish Buffalo, you should check them out. Grab a pillow lol.

As soon as you posted your OP I went and downloaded all things CAAMP. ;)

I'm that guy that finds a new song(s) and plays it to death. Been listening the past two days. It is yet to be killed. lol

Agree 100% on Mumford pulling a 180. Their first two mainstream albums were dynamite and then they sold out. There is really not a bad song on those first two and as a matter of fact many are better than what the studio execs decided to push on the radio (Ghosts That We Knew & their cover of The Boxer).

Regardless, I really love the bluegrass/folk sound.

I’m the same way and it’s so bad that I ruin songs/groups for myself lol. I play them so much I start to detest them.

I recently heard a group called Sumbuck that the singer sounded so much like CAAMP that I laughed out loud then was kind of pissed about it...thought it was such a ripoff. So I googled and couldn’t find them. YouTube had two live songs, taken from really far away in a field with just a few dozen people in the crowd at some gathering, like a campground or something. Then I was barely able to determine that it was the same guy from CAAMP with I think the bass player. So I gathered it was a side project. They have only two songs on Spotify now, but without the banjo player so it’s not bluegrass at all, but still pretty good. I’m not sure why they started a side band without the banjo player as he and the singer are best friends from grade school. Maybe because of royalties or something.

Edit: correction...they have four songs on Spotify now.

Last edited:
Didn't mind Peach Fuzz. Like IB, I prefer the earlier Mumford stuff. For some reason, I like this one:

That said, when I think of the Alt Country/Folk genre, though, I think of these groups/songs (Some of these have already been played to death; some, not so much, lol);

Saw Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes at a festival this past year and it was a weird set, the lead singer was rambling and all over the place. Was next to a couple that are friends with the band and said they are in a bad place. Still have not gotten over the split with the chick singer and the vibe is all messed up, additionally there are so many folks in the band that they are all basically broke because they don't make enough $s to tour this large ensemble.

I know several of those bands. Haven’t heard that particular song but that Art of Sin song is the voice of the guy from Deer Tick, who was also in Middle Brother. I love both of those bands. Blind Pilot is another group in that vein. They’re unbelievable, IMO.

I know several of those bands. Haven’t heard that particular song but that Art of Sin song is the voice of the guy from Deer Tick, who was also in Middle Brother. I love both of those bands. Blind Pilot is another group in that vein. They’re unbelievable, IMO.

Yep, Art Isn't Real (City of Sin) is by Deer Tick. Good ear!

This is the only song that I already had downloaded by Blind Pilot:

“Lord it’s a mighty hard livin’, but a damn to feeling to run these roads”.

It’s like you guys have my Spotify account password lol. Absolutely, yes. Tyler Childers is my new go-to guy. I’ll be honest...I had no idea who he was until a few months ago when I saw he was opening for Sturgill Simpson so I looked him up and now I’m hooked. I’ve got about 8-10 of his songs saved in my library.

I saw Sturgill Simpson open for the Avett Brothers 3-4 years ago. I’m a SS fan now, but back then I thought he was just a Waylon Jennings wannabe and pretty much ignored his set and walked around waiting for the Avetts to come on. It’s a big regret of mine.

They are both playing in KY late february. Both are great acts. Love Tyler and Sturgill.

Very few modern country acts I like and Sturgill is one of them. Sounds like you would like some of the Red Dirt genre.

They are both playing in KY late february. Both are great acts. Love Tyler and Sturgill.

Very few modern country acts I like and Sturgill is one of them. Sounds like you would like some of the Red Dirt genre.

I may know about Red Dirt. It sounds familiar and I likely know some of the artists if you’d please name some.

As long as it’s not the Dirt Road genre lol, as I call it. I was thinking yesterday about starting a thread to get a list compiled of all the recent pop country songs about dirt roads, trucks, etc...maybe last ten years. What prompted the thought was hearing Outlaw You by Shooter Jennings, and the indirect verse about Jason Alden singing “another man’s song with s big drum loop” and “hey pretty boy with baseball hat, couldn’t hit country with baseball bat”. I’m sure you know the artists I mean.

Oddly enough though I do like Colt Ford, who did Dirt Road Anthem originally with a then-unknown Brantley Gilbert. Ford is an outlier in terms of the country music I like, though. Related to my last paragraph, has anyone ever seen the five song mashup of recent pop country songs that overlay perfectly using what he calls the “snap track” that has infiltrated country radio lately? I’ll look for it. It’s hilarious.

Here it is. I was confusing this with another longer video with a guy who terms it snap track music. It’s an excellent breakdown but 10 minutes long. This is just a six song mashup but geez those similarities are sickening. It’s the record labels’ fault of course with their cookie cutter formulas.

“Lord it’s a mighty hard livin’, but a damn to feeling to run these roads”.

It’s like you guys have my Spotify account password lol. Absolutely, yes. Tyler Childers is my new go-to guy. I’ll be honest...I had no idea who he was until a few months ago when I saw he was opening for Sturgill Simpson so I looked him up and now I’m hooked. I’ve got about 8-10 of his songs saved in my library.

I saw Sturgill Simpson open for the Avett Brothers 3-4 years ago. I’m a SS fan now, but back then I thought he was just a Waylon Jennings wannabe and pretty much ignored his set and walked around waiting for the Avetts to come on. It’s a big regret of mine.

I also got hooked on Sturgill a few years ago will be looking at his concert schedule. Also would like to see Billy Strings sometime, both are excellent guitar players and write much of own stuff.

Just hanging out with his buddies in the living room....

I may know about Red Dirt. It sounds familiar and I likely know some of the artists if you’d please name some.

As long as it’s not the Dirt Road genre lol, as I call it. I was thinking yesterday about starting a thread to get a list compiled of all the recent pop country songs about dirt roads, trucks, etc...maybe last ten years. What prompted the thought was hearing Outlaw You by Shooter Jennings, and the indirect verse about Jason Alden singing “another man’s song with s big drum loop” and “hey pretty boy with baseball hat, couldn’t hit country with baseball bat”. I’m sure you know the artists I mean.

Oddly enough though I do like Colt Ford, who did Dirt Road Anthem originally with a then-unknown Brantley Gilbert. Ford is an outlier in terms of the country music I like, though. Related to my last paragraph, has anyone ever seen the five song mashup of recent pop country songs that overlay perfectly using what he calls the “snap track” that has infiltrated country radio lately? I’ll look for it. It’s hilarious.
red dirt is basically independent label country acts that are mainly based in Okie and Texas. Jason aldean certainly isnt one of them. Turnpike Troubadours are pretty good.

Whiskey Myers, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Randy Rogers. There a bunch,.some suck some are good.

Last edited:
Lol i remember my brother saw them in Minnesota four or five years ago and thought that was a sweet band name

I also got hooked on Sturgill a few years ago will be looking at his concert schedule. Also would like to see Billy Strings sometime, both are excellent guitar players and write much of own stuff.

Just hanging out with his buddies in the living room....

I saw this on youtube a week or so ago. The comments on the drug dealer in the background are pretty funny.

My son lived and worked in the Columbus area from 2016-July 2018 and he was telling me about this new band CAAMP that he had seen several times. I heard a couple of their first songs and really liked them. They are now being played on Sirius Channel 28 The Spectrum and since my son has moved to LA he's seen them in concert out there. It's cool to see a band finally make it after all the heard work.

red dirt is basically independent label country acts that are mainly based in Okie and Texas. Jason aldean certainly isnt one of them. Turnpike Troubadours are pretty good.

Whiskey Myers, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Randy Rogers. There a bunch,.some suck some are good.

Yes I’ve listened to all of those. Some more than others. I love Whiskey Myers and that song used to be my favorite of theirs along with Ballad of a Southern Man, which by the way I think borrows bits from All I Can Do is Write About It by Skynyrd. I discovered them at the same time as Lucero so I equate those two together in my mind.

I’m big on Texas alt country and have been a fan of Bruce and Charlie Robison, Kelly Willis, Dale Watson (I have a crazy Dale Watson story from one night I was in Austin) and more recently Ryan Bingham (technically from New Mexico but got known in Texas), Hayes Carll from Houston, Robert Earl Keen. Others like Shooter Jennings and Grayson Capps, the Wood Brothers, Deer Tick, not necessarily from Texas. Heck, I can’t even think of all the groups/singers I like. I’m glad this thread went in this direction though...just talking music.

I have been grooving to Margo Price lately, she has a great voice and I like her bluesy take on Americana music.

Speaking of the blues... Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes is going out on her own with a bigger band then the Shakes. She will be at a festival I am going to this summer and look forward to her set.

Whiskey Myers is coming march 12th to Taft theater in Cincy. Tickets arent too bad either.

In a similar vain Blackberry Smoke has interesting tour coming through these parts this summer>

image001-1-700x909.jpg