Never Have I Ever Retro Edition

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
1679018346621.png

My wife's cringing as I type this, but I still do a bunch of those things. Paper checks, AOL account, VHS tape (though the low quality does bug me now, think most all VHS were in 480), fax .

I still prefer a portable radio for listening to talk radio around the house, they are nearly impossible to find new now. I had 5 or 6 at one time now I am down to one and its barely functioning.

I to only had 1 point, the Myspace thing.

3 - MySpace, AOL, never owned an encyclopedia. I used them plenty of times, but never owned one.

There are six I still do.

2 for me -- no MySpace or AOL email address -- I still have 2 rotary phones in use at my house (my wife and I keep talking about getting rid of our land-line but...). still listen to CDs and vinyl, still write paper checks

Never had a Myspace account or accessed internet by dial up. I have been with someone who was accessing the internet by dial up and I thought to myself, what an irritating noise! My major/work field was computers and the last thing I wanted to do was get on one after work! I remember at work they had Mosaic which was used to browse the internet at the time.

Never had a Myspace account or accessed internet by dial up. I have been with someone who was accessing the internet by dial up and I thought to myself, what an irritating noise!
Brings back memories. My first use of dial-up was way back in '86 using my boss's Apple IIE. At the time that noise was the music of high-tech , lol.

1, MySpace.

Years after Facebook put MySpace out of business I used to get a kick out of my co-wokers and friends reactions when I'd tell them to "hit me up on MySpace".

It's hip to be square.

My score is two. No MySpace and haven't owned an encyclopedia. I am truly in shock that the majority of posters thus far OWNED encyclopedias. 😳 I also knew no one growing up that did. Me and everyone else I knew had to go to the school or community library to write our reports. 🤷‍♂️

My score is two. No MySpace and haven't owned an encyclopedia. I am truly in shock that the majority of posters thus far OWNED encyclopedias. 😳 I also knew no one growing up that did. Me and everyone else I knew had to go to the school or community library to write our reports. 🤷‍♂️
Many families made sure there were encyclopidia SETS in the house. It was normal here even in the inner where the library was a block away. We had two sets. Britanica and an alphabetized science set geared towards kids. Plus sets of classic authors, which I have most of to this day. This not even counting the monthly National Geographic and Ma's Photoplay and other Hollywood magazines to round out the education.

Last edited:
Many families made sure there were encyclopidia SETS in the house. It was normal here even in the inner where the library was a block away. We had two sets. Britanica and an alphabetized science set geared towards kids. Plus sets of classic authors, which I have most of to this day. This not even counting the monthly National Geographic and Ma's Photoplay and other Hollywood magazines to round out the education.

We had a set

2. Myspace and AOL. never got into Myspace. And I had an Hotmail and then a Yahoo email account years ago. I've sent a fax years ago, but can't remember ever receiving one. Do digital faxes count? Because if so I do probably 1 or 2 a month on average. Some old business like the paper trail. I get them as PDF files when they arrive, and I send PDF files via email and they're converted into faxes. It's a very cheap service.

As for paper maps, nothing against Google Maps et al, but there's something about being able to see a map with distinguishing information about routes that makes it better for planning a trip than to just follow your GPS and stick to almost every major road known to man.

I have a full set on my shelf now.

I was annoying my mom as a 9 year old child. I was complaining that there was nothing to do so she jokingly told me to read the encyclopedia. So I did. All 18 books in the set.

I have a full set on my shelf now.

I was annoying my mom as a 9 year old child. I was complaining that there was nothing to do so she jokingly told me to read the encyclopedia. So I did. All 18 books in the set.
I did something similar as a kid, but I'm sure I never made it through the whole set. Actually, we might not have had a complete set, come to think of it. :confused:

Add me to the list of '2: AOL and MySpace' responders.