Nevada, Fresno St. to join MWC

Clyde Frog

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5474774

With Nevada and Fresno joining the Mountain West Conference, I believe that if BYU decides to stay in the MWC instead of going independent in football and joining the WAC in all other sports, the MWC would have a legitimate gripe if they would not receive an automatic BCS bid. I'm up-in-the-air about it now, but the additions of Fresno and Nevada, plus Boise State, makes the future MWC much stronger than the one that is currently constructed.

Adding Neveda doesn't. Fresno and Boise does. Unless, Boise falls off. I just wanna know where the ---- these kids from Boise came from?

Adding Neveda doesn't. Fresno and Boise does. Unless, Boise falls off. I just wanna know where the ---- these kids from Boise came from?

The same place all the athletes in the PAC10+2, MWC, WAC, Big Sky, Big West, and the WCC come from, California... While I agree that the new MWC features some really nice football programs, I doubt that the BIG10+2 or the SEC or the PAC10+2 would allow one their schools to miss out on a BCS Bowl just so the MWC Champion would get an automatic BCS bid.....I don't see the MWC getting an automatic bid, and it looks like BYU is very serious about going indepedent in football.

It would be interesting to see what kind of schedule BYU could paste together as an independent. I'd assume none of the other MWC members would play them. They might get a game with a Pac 10 team. Maybe they'd play Utah and Notre Dame every year. I have a feeling they'd end up playing Utah, ND, a Pac 10 team, one big-time BCS program elsewhere, and a bunch of patsies.

1. Boise State
2. TCU
3. BYU
4. Fresno State
5. Nevada

Comparing this group with the Big East, the middle of the Big East is stronger than the middle of the potential MWC, but the MWC conference is stronger at the top, IMO.

Utah staying would have pretty much guaranteed the conference an auto-bid to the BCS. Boise, BYU, TCU, Fresno, and Air Force is still pretty solid. Nevada is understandable given the geography, but the program isn't anything special. Wyoming, Colorado State, New Mexico, SDSU, and UNLV are all below average.

It would be interesting to see what kind of schedule BYU could paste together as an independent. I'd assume none of the other MWC members would play them. They might get a game with a Pac 10 team. Maybe they'd play Utah and Notre Dame every year. I have a feeling they'd end up playing Utah, ND, a Pac 10 team, one big-time BCS program elsewhere, and a bunch of patsies.

Why list ND seperate from the other patsies? :shrug:

1. Boise State
2. TCU
3. BYU
4. Fresno State
5. Nevada

Comparing this group with the Big East, the middle of the Big East is stronger than the middle of the potential MWC, but the MWC conference is stronger at the top, IMO.

Very debatable with UC, WVU, Pitt, Rutgers, and USF. I'd say MWC's top-2 are stronger...after that it's either even or BE is a bit stronger.

Are Fresno State and Nevada just being "selfish?"

http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten...sno-nevada-selfish-wac-commissioner-says.html

I don't think you can blame any athletic department trying to put their student athletes in the best possible situation. If that makes them "selfish," then so be it.
With as bad as the WAC is without Boise State now, I can't blame Nevada and Fresno in the least bit for jumping ship. The WAC is pretty irrelevant without Boise now, and I'll be surprised if it survives for more than a couple more years without Fresno and Nevada.