NEO DI Districts (East)

My thoughts on the games:

Mentor is the team I am obviously most familiar with. They have a Hall of Fame coach. They have a Mr Basketball candidate. They have very strong #2 and #3 scoring options. The rest of the team are guys that have bought into their roles. The team plays good defense in the half court. They are undefeated. But like any team, they are not perfect. The lack of depth is possibly their biggest weakness. Second would be a reliance on the three ball more than they should IMO. In the district final, it paid off. But they will not be able to maintain that level of outside shooting for four more games. Even though their top three scorers are pretty good outside shooters, they are at their best when attacking the hoop.

Jackson seems more balanced inside and out. They have strong guard play, but also some solid bigs. Unlike Mentor, they are going to aim to keep the score much lower. If the game becomes high scoring, I don't know if the Polar Bears will be able to keep up. Both teams will try to dictate tempo. It should be very telling to the result of the game. Jackson was down double digits in the first half in their last two games and came back. So if Mentor has an early lead, that won't phase this team. Should be a good one, but I expect Mentor will move on.

As for Medina/Hoover, I originally looked at this like Medina caught a huge break. That was because I looked at the fact that Hoover had 8 regular season losses. But when I took into context how they have won 16 of their last 19 (including two against McKinley), I can see how this team is on quite a roll. Medina will have the best player on the floor (Tripp), so that means something at this stage. Hoover has pretty good size, but I think Medina can match up pretty well with them. I think Medina will win in a very tight, low scoring game.

My thoughts on the games:

Mentor is the team I am obviously most familiar with. They have a Hall of Fame coach. They have a Mr Basketball candidate. They have very strong #2 and #3 scoring options. The rest of the team are guys that have bought into their roles. The team plays good defense in the half court. They are undefeated. But like any team, they are not perfect. The lack of depth is possibly their biggest weakness. Second would be a reliance on the three ball more than they should IMO. In the district final, it paid off. But they will not be able to maintain that level of outside shooting for four more games. Even though their top three scorers are pretty good outside shooters, they are at their best when attacking the hoop.

Jackson seems more balanced inside and out. They have strong guard play, but also some solid bigs. Unlike Mentor, they are going to aim to keep the score much lower. If the game becomes high scoring, I don't know if the Polar Bears will be able to keep up. Both teams will try to dictate tempo. It should be very telling to the result of the game. Jackson was down double digits in the first half in their last two games and came back. So if Mentor has an early lead, that won't phase this team. Should be a good one, but I expect Mentor will move on.

As for Medina/Hoover, I originally looked at this like Medina caught a huge break. That was because I looked at the fact that Hoover had 8 regular season losses. But when I took into context how they have won 16 of their last 19 (including two against McKinley), I can see how this team is on quite a roll. Medina will have the best player on the floor (Tripp), so that means something at this stage. Hoover has pretty good size, but I think Medina can match up pretty well with them. I think Medina will win in a very tight, low scoring game.

Good breakdown, I agree with all of this and should be two great games. Beyond matchups, I look at a couple of other things and don't see anything that strikes me as something where one of these teams will be exposed. One thing that is evident is all four teams are really well coached. Krizancic and Debevec both have won state championships; Medina has won 4 district titles in 7 years under Hassinger; and learning about Bluey's background and it appears he has a chance to be a great one for Hoover.

All four teams are battle tested playing in two of the best leagues in NEO. Medina and Jackson, on top of that, played rugged non-conference schedules. But really, none of these teams will feel out of their elements on this stage.

I don't think that there is an overwhelming overall talent difference between the teams (none are stocked with multiple D1 players), but an advantage for Mentor and Medina, IMO, is that they will have the best player on the floor in both matchups in Chicone and Tripp. Both are 25 point scorers who can carry a team and both also are playmakers who also get their teammates involved. The other advantage for the GCC schools is that they both were in this same position last year (and played one of the best HS games I ever saw with Mentor coming out on top in a 2OT thriller). Mentor, though, has that sour taste because they were set to take on Shaker Heights (which easily handled McKinley in the first game that night) in a game they probably win to advance to state and then everything got shut down before they had the chance. Medina, on the other hand, has had to live with that loss to Mentor in a game they just as easily could have won. And like Mentor, Medina would have been a clear favorite over Shaker Heights, who they beat by 20 about a month earlier.

I know that Jackson team was loaded, but it’s hard to imagine anybody beating Mentor like that. Sheesh!

Yeah like I said earlier, I haven't really seen a good Mentor team get beat up like that in a long, long time. That Mentor group won their district that season. But they had a very similar kind of game with St Eds in the regional that season as they did with Jackson. Game was close for most of the first half, and then boom...gave up huge runs and got completely dominated. Jackson and St Eds were both very, very good that season. Jackson won state. St Eds lost to Jackson in the state semifinal that season.

The last time I remember dominance resembling that was when WGH beat Mentor pretty good back in Cole Krizancic's freshman season. But that group was physically overmatched on top of everything else. In 2017, Mentor had some size and athletes to hang with Jackson and St Eds at least a little.

Yeah like I said earlier, I haven't really seen a good Mentor team get beat up like that in a long, long time. That Mentor group won their district that season. But they had a very similar kind of game with St Eds in the regional that season as they did with Jackson. Game was close for most of the first half, and then boom...gave up huge runs and got completely dominated. Jackson and St Eds were both very, very good that season. Jackson won state. St Eds lost to Jackson in the state semifinal that season.

The last time I remember dominance resembling that was when WGH beat Mentor pretty good back in Cole Krizancic's freshman season. But that group was physically overmatched on top of everything else. In 2017, Mentor had some size and athletes to hang with Jackson and St Eds at least a little.

That ‘08 WGH squad was special. They were way more dominant than the ‘09 squad that made it to the Final Four.

Ironically, it’s been almost 13 years to the day that WGH got screwed vs. St. Eds in the ‘08 Regional Final. It’s easy for me to remember cause my sister’s birthday is March 9. I was super distraught by the time I talked to her that day,

I remember the 2015 game better than the one in 2017. Late in the 4th quarter Jackson took a small lead {5 points or so) and Debevec implored the team to only take sure shots. After a failed possession or two where they failed to do so, Evan Bailey drove the lane from the top of the circle and threw down a big dunk.

I remember a little snow on the road for the ride home also.

That ‘08 WGH squad was special. They were way more dominant than the ‘09 squad that made it to the Final Four.

Ironically, it’s been almost 13 years to the day that WGH got screwed vs. St. Eds in the ‘08 Regional Final. It’s easy for me to remember cause my sister’s birthday is March 9. I was super distraught by the time I talked to her that day,

Was that the Frankie Dobbs 3 pointer as time expired?

Was that the Frankie Dobbs 3 pointer as time expired?

You mean the one after the buzzer? Yes. The OHSAA issued WGH a written apology. As if that was going to do anything.

That said, gotta give it to St. Eds for the consistency & stability within their athletic programs over the years. WGH used to be a fierce rival of the Eagles in both basketball & football. Sure miss those days.

You mean the one after the buzzer? Yes. The OHSAA issued WGH a written apology. As if that was going to do anything.

That said, gotta give it to St. Eds for the consistency & stability within their athletic programs over the years. WGH used to be a fierce rival of the Eagles in both basketball & football. Sure miss those days.
Yeah, you and me both. Man I miss those battles between WGH and Ed’s on the football field and basketball court. Back then it was such a big deal to win those games. I remember listening to them on my radio before they streamed all these games now a days.
Yes, that was a little tongue in check with the buzzer beater comment. You guys had a stacked team that year and I believe Ed’s was playing without Alex Sterba ( Ed’s QB lost in like 2nd game) and all everything Delvon Roe? I’m too old too remember the details but I’m sure you do.

Yeah, you and me both. Man I miss those battles between WGH and Ed’s on the football field and basketball court. Back then it was such a big deal to win those games. I remember listening to them on my radio before they streamed all these games now a days.
Yes, that was a little tongue in check with the buzzer beater comment. You guys had a stacked team that year and I believe Ed’s was playing without Alex Sterba ( Ed’s QB lost in like 2nd game) and all everything Delvon Roe? I’m too old too remember the details but I’m sure you do.

Yeah Roe was a problem. The previous summer, Harding & Eds played a summer league game in Cleveland that was pretty even, but Eds came to Warren for a preseason scrimmage and ran Harding off the floor. It was a blessing in disguise for Harding though cause they knew they were going to be very good, so it humbled them before the season started. Roe dominated us! Didn't he get injured on that natoinally televised game on ESPN? Or was it after? That part I don't remember, but I just knew that he'd do well at Michigan State, but injuries derailed his collegiate career as well. Sad, but I recently found out that he's acting now. Great for him!

It's crazy when you think about just how good you have to be to play at the next level. You think that you've seen it all until you run into a player like Roe, Kosta Koufos, Raymar Morgan, Jared Sullinger, JD Weatherspoon, Trey Burke, Terry Rozier, etc. Then, you really see the difference. Harding has had a few guys with potential, but there's always other obtacles in the way (seems like it's worse than ever now). Makes me appreciate college & professional athletes even more.

Amazingly, I made it to my first in person game this season. And what a Mentor game to get to. Going into this game, I knew Jackson would be good. But I did expect Mentor to get a win. The team that most concerned me overall in this region was McKInley, but Hoover took care of them. Medina was probably the next team I was concerned about. Jackson was third. Well, the Polar Bears were much better than I thought. They gave Mentor all they could handle and then some. They shot extremely well. Took very smart shots on offense and proved to be incredibly efficient. Mentor played good defense all night, but Jackson was patient and worked their offense until they got a shot they liked.

The game was completely at Jackson's pace. Mentor looked uncomfortable at times, and that isn't surprising. This is a team that has been able to dictate pace in pretty much every game.. Jackson's guards took care of the ball extremely well, making it difficult for Mentor to use their patented full court pressure to force turnovers and change the pace and complexity of the game. Instead, they leaned into what Jackson was trying to do and allowed it to be a grind it out kind of game.

Luke Chicone played well. After his hot start, connecting on triples on their first two possessions of the game, I thought he was due for a 35+ point night. That didn't happen, but he did prove to be the best player on the floor. Jackson got great play out of their guards though.

Hard fought win for Mentor. Hopefully this will give them the confidence they need if/when they play in another game like this.

Amazingly, I made it to my first in person game this season. And what a Mentor game to get to. Going into this game, I knew Jackson would be good. But I did expect Mentor to get a win. The team that most concerned me overall in this region was McKInley, but Hoover took care of them. Medina was probably the next team I was concerned about. Jackson was third. Well, the Polar Bears were much better than I thought. They gave Mentor all they could handle and then some. They shot extremely well. Took very smart shots on offense and proved to be incredibly efficient. Mentor played good defense all night, but Jackson was patient and worked their offense until they got a shot they liked.

The game was completely at Jackson's pace. Mentor looked uncomfortable at times, and that isn't surprising. This is a team that has been able to dictate pace in pretty much every game.. Jackson's guards took care of the ball extremely well, making it difficult for Mentor to use their patented full court pressure to force turnovers and change the pace and complexity of the game. Instead, they leaned into what Jackson was trying to do and allowed it to be a grind it out kind of game.

Luke Chicone played well. After his hot start, connecting on triples on their first two possessions of the game, I thought he was due for a 35+ point night. That didn't happen, but he did prove to be the best player on the floor. Jackson got great play out of their guards though.

Hard fought win for Mentor. Hopefully this will give them the confidence they need if/when they play in another game like this.

Looked like a good crowd in Matt Goul's footage. Glad that you got to see your Cards play! Hope that you guys punch your ticket to Columbus!

Jackson -
Outrebounded Mentor by 4
Shot 61% from the field
Forced the tempo
Held Mentor to 26 points under their scoring average
Probably played their best game of the season

Impressively, Mentor won 60-53.

What's it going to take to beat the Cardinals?

I wish Mentor luck and would like to see them win, but Moeller is big and athletic. They don't have many weaknesses. I think they'll be a tough matchup for Mentor.
If the question was "What's it going to take to beat Moeller?", my answer would be Mentor. Either way it would be a heckuva game if it worked out that way!

Yes, Jackson did play extremely well yesterday. I guess it is a good sign that Mentor was able to beat Jackson when they were playing their best.

I also agree that Moeller is an incredibly difficult task for every remaining team, including Mentor. I'm rooting hard for Mentor and Centerville on Saturday.

Congrat on the win. How you get a ticket?.