NEDAB Announces New District Format

155 boys finished in D2 in 2019 at Boardman
151 girls finished in D2 in 2019 at Boardman
Are they really going to run 2 races because of 1 or 5 over?

Just reduce the teams and individuals down to a number to run one race each division! No one would complain about that.

What I never could understand is why the girls D2 at Boardman has 20 teams but boys have 19?? We couldn't have just made them both 20??
Because then you would have 65 DII boys teams competing at regionals around the state. Only 64 make regionals which has been the case for years. How those 64 regional spots are distributed is based on what percentage of full teams compete in each District. The NE has a slightly larger share of the state's total pie of DII girls teams, so they get 1 more team to regionals than the DII boys.

Do we have any idea how the seeding will be done? I have received nothing from the NEDAB or the OHSAA indicating how this will take place.

Do we have any idea how the seeding will be done? I have received nothing from the NEDAB or the OHSAA indicating how this will take place.
AFAIK, you'll seed via baumspage just like they do for the basketball tournament. You'll seed all teams in your division at your site. Your seed will ultimately determine which race you end up in, so there won't be an in-person meeting.

....or their starting line isn't wide enough for social distancing (6' between boxes). Will LCC run two races, then combined results?... The more we find out, the less we know.

ENA, know you've been to LCCC many times in the past, but for others... There are only 10 boxes currently painted on the starting line. With some effort, it can be stretched to accommodate 13 with the CoVid rules... but that's it. Any more, and you are in the weeds. Hence the need for 2 races.

In the past (1989-1991), both LCCC and Boardman have run double regionals on the boys side. I had teams be a part of those, but it wasn't for all divisions or genders, though. You qualified out of the district to that specific regional race, then qualified to the state from that regional race alone - no combination of races.

They have a lot of options. It will be interesting to see what the district choses.

Ohsaa has applied for a waiver from the state government to allow 180 per race at state. Hopefully it gets approved. The regionals have done the same thing with their local health dept. so we will see why they say.

It’s time to update these COVID rules for XC. We’ve had a ton of success as a State. Enough is enough and we shouldn’t have to wait till next year to make adjustments. What changes have any of the other fall sports made? Regional and State Championships should not be run in separate races. Adding 25-40 kids from 150 going to make these kids any less safe? Please! If the genius who came up with the 150 limit would have thought forward a little and came up with 175 we wouldn’t be in this post season mess.

I think they are over thinking this whole thing. If you want to run the races all together in each division then this year go back to only 16 teams qualify to state in these trying times. That is 28 less runners from teams alone and less individuals qualifying as well. Just for this season and you have a quality state meet.

So, they just arbitrarily choose Glen Oak to get one more team to the Regional for D2 boys with just one more team in the race? I'll give them the 4 extra individuals maybe, but I find it unfair that GlenOak gets an extra team.

Ohsaa has applied for a waiver from the state government to allow 180 per race at state. Hopefully it gets approved. The regionals have done the same thing with their local health dept. so we will see why they say.
180 probably wouldn't be enough for the DI races at Boardman. They're slated to have 24 teams competing, so that's potentially 168-175 runners right there plus any individuals. Last year, the DI boys race at Boardman had 24 teams and 196 runners, and the DI girls race had 24 teams and 189 runners. I would imagine it is a very strong possibility that DI would have to be contested as 2 races at Boardman in order to comply with any guidelines set forth by the local Health Dept. If the number stays at 150, then DII might also have to be contested as 2 races at Boardman. DIII at Tiffin is another one that sticks out to me as presenting a possible numbers issue.

Last edited:
How does this voting process work? Who picks when? I tried to read into it but got lost quickly.
Luckily, it appears DII is not seeding any of its races.

The process works like so:
1. From Sunday through the end of the day on Wednesday, coaches submit their team bio (i.e. info on how the team placed at the meets it attended, who they beat, who was missing from the lineup, etc).

2. From Thursday through Saturday at Noon (why not give them until sometime Sat. evening seeing as how coaches are usually at meets on Sat. morning/afternoon?), coaches submit their votes to seed all the teams in their district.

3. The votes will be tabulated, and the seedings will be posted on Saturday afternoon. Any team that doesn't vote will not only be fined but will also lose the highest vote it received. It does not appear that they are doing like they do in basketball where every team's highest and lowest vote received are dropped. In the event of a tie, the teams that are tied will be separated based on whichever team received more votes at or above the tied position. For example, let's say Team A and Team B's point totals tie them for the 7th seed. Team A got 10 votes that placed them 7th or higher. Team B got 9 votes that placed them 7th or higher. Team A would prevail. If the teams are still tied after the 1st tiebreaker is applied, the tie will be broken by a computerized dice roll.

4. A virtual seeding meeting will take place on Sunday afternoon.
- Teams will go in order of seed to select their race.
- All schools with full teams will select a race first.
- When a team's seed is called, they have 3 minutes to decide.
- The top 2 seeds per race have the option to "pass," so if there are 2 races, the top 4 seeds will have the option to "pass" when their seed is called. The language on how many teams would get to pass is somewhat confusing. For basketball, I get it, but for cross country, if there is only 1 race, then there's nothing to pass because all teams will be in that 1 race regardless of who is allowed to pass. If a team passes, it is the next team's turn. If that next team chooses a race, the choice comes back to the team that passed. For example, let's say the top 3 seeds already picked a race. #4 seed decides to pass. It's now #5's turn, and they pick a race. The next choice goes to #4 who can either select a race or pass the choice to #6.
- If a team arrives after their seed is called, it will be treated as a "pass."
- If a team "no-shows" for the meeting, they will be assigned last. If multiple teams "no-show," they will be assigned last in the order of the their seed.
- If a team misses any of the voting deadlines but attends the seed meeting, they will be seeded accordingly.

I was previously told that a team's seed would automatically lock them into 1 race or the other, but that is clearly not the case according to the info that was sent out regarding the seeding instructions.

I hope any of this helps.

Last edited:
Word from GlenOak is the variance to expand the number of competitors was approved, so the DI competition at GlenOak will now be contested as 1 race. The coaches who put in a lot of time and effort to create their team bios did it all for naught.

I still don't know what will happen for the DI regional at Boardman since the size of the field would likely exceed the number stated in the variance.