NEDAB Announces New District Format

Do you believe there could be any thought to going back to balanced Regionals in this time of Covid?? I was just looking at how Pickerington gets out 7, Boardman 6, Troy 4, and Tiffin 3 in Boys Division 2 and 7, 6, 3, and 4 in Girls D2.
As I recall, this was suggested to Dale Gabor during the OATCCC presentation for meet managers last month. I remember him saying either it was an option being considered or that he would bring it up for consideration. I don't think it's going to happen though.

Do you believe there could be any thought to going back to balanced Regionals in this time of Covid?? I was just looking at how Pickerington gets out 7, Boardman 6, Troy 4, and Tiffin 3 in Boys Division 2 and 7, 6, 3, and 4 in Girls D2.
I'm trying to figure out why. Going back to balanced Regionals creates a nightmare of setting up districts. If anything, I would think that eliminating the Regionals and advancing from the districts to state would be better.(covid wise) I might be missing something, but trying to figure out how to send schools from NE out to NW and keeping boys and girls together was a nightmare before. Seems it could be even more complicated if covid shuts some teams down. (I do not think that will happen, but we have to be prepared)

It would seem to me that Sectional - District -State makes more sense. The NW might chose to only hold a District depending on how many teams decide to participate. Meets would be smaller and there would be less contact of people from different areas. It would allow for stricter compliance to the covid recommendations and requirements.

It just seems that proportional representation from each District is fair and in some cases, can eliminate a a step. The East is guaranteed representation and doesn't have to travel to Pickerington. The NE would still run small meets to qualify to Boardman. The downfall is that there could be a really strong team from the East left home if they only get 1 team to the State. Could be second best team in the state in theory. At least the best team gets through and we need to focus on being thankful there is a season and a State meet.

I'm a little concerned that there is little to no information anywhere on anything. Even the State meet.

I'm trying to figure out why. Going back to balanced Regionals creates a nightmare of setting up districts. If anything, I would think that eliminating the Regionals and advancing from the districts to state would be better.(covid wise) I might be missing something, but trying to figure out how to send schools from NE out to NW and keeping boys and girls together was a nightmare before. Seems it could be even more complicated if covid shuts some teams down. (I do not think that will happen, but we have to be prepared)

It would seem to me that Sectional - District -State makes more sense. The NW might chose to only hold a District depending on how many teams decide to participate. Meets would be smaller and there would be less contact of people from different areas. It would allow for stricter compliance to the covid recommendations and requirements.

It just seems that proportional representation from each District is fair and in some cases, can eliminate a a step. The East is guaranteed representation and doesn't have to travel to Pickerington. The NE would still run small meets to qualify to Boardman. The downfall is that there could be a really strong team from the East left home if they only get 1 team to the State. Could be second best team in the state in theory. At least the best team gets through and we need to focus on being thankful there is a season and a State meet.

I'm a little concerned that there is little to no information anywhere on anything. Even the State meet.

I looked at the Regional Information from last year and it had date of "Sept. 24th - Revised" on it. Not sure if that's when they finally published the information or not. The board is not scheduled to meet until Oct. 1st according to the schedule I found. I would hope we would receive information before then. Other than potential issues to changing the typical Regional / State format due to Covid, that information should already be determined and available.

There isn't really anything up on the District site except Golf. So, it's not like it's just CC that's in the dark. I didn't see anything on soccer either.

It will be interesting to see if they use "the number of teams on the line" this year to determine placements/qualifiers for next year. It seems like there are a lot of schools that are not fielding teams this year.

Currently only 16 of the 25 boys DI teams in the Madison district have 5 boys with times in the milesplit database this season.

The front end is tough with Kenston, Ignatius, and Mentor - 3 of the top 6 or 7 teams in the state in one district. With two races, I doubt all three teams will be in the same race, so someone will have an "easy" path; though, none of those 3 will have a problem being in the top 8.

BTW - If they are taking 8 from the district and there are two races, does anyone know if that means the top 4 from each race or how they are selecting those 8 teams?

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if they use "the number of teams on the line" this year to determine placements/qualifiers for next year. It seems like there are a lot of schools that are not fielding teams this year.

Currently only 16 of the 25 boys DI teams in the Madison district have 5 boys with times in the milesplit database this season.

The front end is tough with Kenston, Ignatius, and Mentor - 3 of the top 6 or 7 teams in the state in one district. With two races, I doubt all three teams will be in the same race, so someone will have an "easy" path; though, none of those 3 will have a problem being in the top 8.

BTW - If they are taking 8 from the district and there are two races, does anyone know if that means the top 4 from each race or how they are selecting those 8 teams?

I would assume the top 4 teams and top 16 individuals will be advancing from each race.

Was this worth the wait? It seems there are more questions than answers!

Just odd to see schools like Elyria Catholic D3. Waterloo and Rootstown D2.... Crazy world.
I would assume the top 4 teams and top 16 individuals will be advancing from each race.
You really have to. Has to be head to head.

Was this worth the wait? It seems there are more questions than answers!

Just odd to see schools like Elyria Catholic D3. Waterloo and Rootstown D2.... Crazy world.

You really have to. Has to be head to head.

Aurora comes to GlenOak for DI, but Twinsburg and Nordonia go to Madison. Hudson goes to GlenOak while Walsh Jesuit goes to Lorain CCC. Stow is listed at the bottom for DI which makes me think they forgot to assign them to any location.

Rootstown had me thrown for a loop in that their girls ran in the DII race at Boardman on Saturday and had a good showing. I thought they were DIII, and the districts assignments indicate that they are. Since it's the same coaching staff for both genders, Rootstown must've only wanted to come to Boardman once, and having their girls run up a division and competing on Saturday was the only way to make that happen.

Any guess how D2 girls will be set up? 7 teams advance. Can't be 3 and 3 ...
You asked for a guess. In the case of Lorain, it claims 21 teams will be there. I'll guess 1 race would have 12 teams and the other would have 9. The 12-team race would get 4 to regionals, and the 9-team race would get 3 to regionals. That's my guess.

Why can't it? Makes about as much sense as anything else these days. Not sure why they can't communicate with each site and make decisions on the fly for each division based on how many actual full teams show up. About 10 seconds before the gun, make an announcement. "Because we only have 8 full teams in this race, there will only be 2 teams moving on to the Regional instead of the 3 we thought. Good luck. Whistle...Boom."

In North Carolina it's all based on how many teams show up to the line that day. They have a minimum of say 3 teams that move on to the state, but it could be as many as 5 if all the teams show up. Not all do. It's all straight percentage of teams on the line.

I'm hearing indirectly from 1 of the meet managers that your seed will automatically determine which race you're in using the S-curve like they use for the NCAA basketball tournament. For example, the #1 seed goes into race 1, #2 and #3 go into race 2, #4 and #5 go into race 1, #6 and #7 go into race 2, etc, etc.

Below is how NW District handles 7 teams moving on.

Two boys’ races will be held at this site. Race 1 will have 4 qualifiers and Race 2 will have 3 qualifiers to the Tiffin Regional

· All full teams will be seeded in their races. Teams will be assigned by their rank.

· #1 will be assigned to Race 1, #2 will be assigned to Race 2, #3 and #4 will be assigned to Race 1, #5 and #6 will be assigned to Race 2, #7 and # 8 will be assigned to Race 1, etc…, until all teams are assigned.

· In Race 1, 4 teams and those individuals not on a qualifying team who finish in the top 16 positions will advance to the Regional Tournament in Tiffin. In Race 2, 3 teams and those individuals not on a qualifying team who finish in the top 12 positions will advance to the Regional Tournament in Tiffin.

For Lorain D2 boys it has 6 qualifiers from 21 teams advancing from 2 races, but only 19 schools are listed.
Bay and Woodridge get "B" teams this year.

I think I sat at the kitchen table yelling at my youngest son about homework assignments that he turned in with mistakes like this. "c'mon...pay attention and at least try!" "Did you get this assignment yesterday?" "Wasn't this supposed to be done weeks ago?"

At Lorain, it is my understanding that the meet manager has the option of making the D2 district one or two races. If it’s one race then 6 and 24 advance. If it’s 2 races then 3 and 12 from each race advance

New (to me at least) on the District Roster Submission page on Baumspage: A button that says "Submit Seed Bio and Vote".

After clicking the button, the following time schedule is listed:

Dist. Tournament: Lorain County Community College Div II...
Bios Window:
Sunday, 10/04/2020 at 12:01 am - Wednesday, 10/07/2020 at 11:59 am
View All Team Bios After:
Thursday, 10/08/2020 at 12:01 am
Voting Window:
Thursday, 10/08/2020 at 12:01 am - Saturday, 10/10/2020 at 2:00 pm
Results Available After:
Saturday, 10/10/2020 at 4:00 pm

New (to me at least) on the District Roster Submission page on Baumspage: A button that says "Submit Seed Bio and Vote".

After clicking the button, the following time schedule is listed:

Dist. Tournament: Lorain County Community College Div II...
Bios Window:
Sunday, 10/04/2020 at 12:01 am - Wednesday, 10/07/2020 at 11:59 am
View All Team Bios After:
Thursday, 10/08/2020 at 12:01 am
Voting Window:
Thursday, 10/08/2020 at 12:01 am - Saturday, 10/10/2020 at 2:00 pm
Results Available After:
Saturday, 10/10/2020 at 4:00 pm

If it's anything like the basketball seeding process, you'll get to see how other coaches seeded, and they'll get to see how you seeded.

Threshold92. What race is Woodridge in at LCCC? Are they in the same race as CVCA?

This makes less sense now. At GlenOak they get 7 teams out in the boys, but there are only 19 teams. LCCC gets 6 with 19 teams. Madison 6 with 18 teams.

Why is GlenOak and Madison running 1 race and LCCC 2?

This is where I'm having an issue with the District Board. They are unnecessarily complicating things. This year is just wide open to do whatever they want without anyone complaining, but they come up with something that does no make sense from the start. That's with Pat Ritchie helping.

I was going to fax over my suggestions, but good luck finding where I can send that.

Threshold92. What race is Woodridge in at LCCC? Are they in the same race as CVCA?

This makes less sense now. At GlenOak they get 7 teams out in the boys, but there are only 19 teams. LCCC gets 6 with 19 teams. Madison 6 with 18 teams.

Why is GlenOak and Madison running 1 race and LCCC 2?

This is where I'm having an issue with the District Board. They are unnecessarily complicating things. This year is just wide open to do whatever they want without anyone complaining, but they come up with something that does no make sense from the start. That's with Pat Ritchie helping.

I was going to fax over my suggestions, but good luck finding where I can send that.
Meet manager’s discretion? Easier to create a race schedule? D2 coaches at Madison and GlenOak not interested in seeding? 1 race = no need to seed. I shall inquire and see if I get a response.

Each of these races should have less than 150 runners, but maybe there are narrow parts of LCCC where that many will crowd or funnel too much....or their starting line isn't wide enough for social distancing (6' between boxes). Will LCC run two races, then combined results?... The more we find out, the less we know.

With the with the 150 max quota, the DII Regional at Boardman will be interesting. if there is more than 17 individual qualifiers.... that will mean over 150 runners. That will be the case in some divisions at other regionals too. Will they allow more than 150 in a race at the State Meet?

Would any of you be happy if they had 2 races and combined the results? I wouldn't. Girls D2 has 20 teams at Regional, so that's already 140 runners.

Won't the D1 races at Boardman be larger than 150 runners already with just teams.

I would never like combining races for a team score or individual places.... but we have been at meet this year where that's what they did. Boardman had scores both ways and 150 is the magic number. I don't have any of the real answers...only questions. Maybe the State meet will be fine... after all, it takes place 5 days after the election.

Regional Information

DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC AND THE POTENTIAL LIMITATIONS

AND RESTRICTIONS IMPOSED BY GOVERNMENT
GUIDELINES, ALL TIMES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
4.1 Time Schedule
Friday, October 30 – Division III
3:30 P.M. – Boys – Section 1*
4:10 P.M. – Boys – Section 2
4:50 P.M. – Girls – Section 1*
5:30 P.M – Girls – Section 2
Saturday, October 31 – Division II
9:30 A.M. - Division II - Boys – Section 1*
10:10 A.M. – Division II – Boys – Section 2
10:50 A.M. – Division II – Girls – Section 1*
11:30 A.M. – Division II – Girls – Section 2
Saturday, October 31 – Division I
2:30 P.M. – Division I – Boys – Section 1*
3:10 P.M. – Division I – Boys – Section 2
3:50 P.M. – Division 1 – Girls – Section 1*
4:30 P.M. – Division I – Girls – Section 2
*NOTE: IF LESS THAN 150 TOTAL COMPETITORS IN A DIVISION, ONLY ONE
SECTION WILL BE RUN, BUT THE TIME SCHEDULE WILL REMAIN THE SAME

What I never could understand is why the girls D2 at Boardman has 20 teams but boys have 19?? We couldn't have just made them both 20??