NE8 conference 2019-2020

Sectional tournaments start on the 17th on the ohsaa calendar, and the Southeast districts have sectional games starting that day. So that would be a week before, well 8 days

Ok... but why does the Southeast district start on the 17th? Most teams in the Northeast haven't even finished the regular season by then. Why not have all the District Tournaments going on at the same time? Or if they want to have the Southeast tournament early, then just vote for that district this week and vote for the other districts later on.

Bottom line... if the OHSAA wants to vote for each districts seeding at the same time, then all the district tournaments should be held at the same time. If the OHSAA wants to have the tournaments at different times, the seedings should be determined at different times. Is it that difficult?

Ok... but why does the Southeast district start on the 17th? Most teams in the Northeast haven't even finished the regular season by then. Why not have all the District Tournaments going on at the same time? Or if they want to have the Southeast tournament early, then just vote for that district this week and vote for the other districts later on.

Bottom line... if the OHSAA wants to vote for each districts seeding at the same time, then all the district tournaments should be held at the same time. If the OHSAA wants to have the tournaments at different times, the seedings should be determined at different times. Is it that difficult?
The OHSAA mandated the same date for draws because they were all different times and not well publicized. When the technology became available, they started putting the statewide brackets on their site. I think this is the main reason for having a uniform draw date. That's pretty much where their part in sectionals/districts ends. They've always had a calendar when the different stages of the tournament need to be completed but it's up to the six districts to determine the rules for draws, sites for sectional/districts, etc. The SE starts earlier because they use the Convo in Athens for all their district games and have to have their sectionals done so they can start playing district games when it is available. They don't use a bunch of different district sites like the NE does. In order to use the Convo, they are sort of at the mercy of OU and their events at the arena. That's why most years, there will be Sunday games because they're working around OU's schedule. I actually like it. Use a great college arena as an incentive for winning a sectional. Plus it centralizes everything in a very wide-spread district.
I'd like to see the NE use one or two college arenas as a central location for the districts. This would get the games out of smaller high school gyms, allow more tickets to be available and stop the nonsense of the 2 semis in a district being played on different nights. Bring back doubleheaders.

The OHSAA mandated the same date for draws because they were all different times and not well publicized. When the technology became available, they started putting the statewide brackets on their site. I think this is the main reason for having a uniform draw date. That's pretty much where their part in sectionals/districts ends. They've always had a calendar when the different stages of the tournament need to be completed but it's up to the six districts to determine the rules for draws, sites for sectional/districts, etc. The SE starts earlier because they use the Convo in Athens for all their district games and have to have their sectionals done so they can start playing district games when it is available. They don't use a bunch of different district sites like the NE does. In order to use the Convo, they are sort of at the mercy of OU and their events at the arena. That's why most years, there will be Sunday games because they're working around OU's schedule. I actually like it. Use a great college arena as an incentive for winning a sectional. Plus it centralizes everything in a very wide-spread district.
I'd like to see the NE use one or two college arenas as a central location for the districts. This would get the games out of smaller high school gyms, allow more tickets to be available and stop the nonsense of the 2 semis in a district being played on different nights. Bring back doubleheaders.

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the explanation.

No problem. I think it's just a logistical thing for them. BTW, I really liked your breakdown of the seeds for the Boardman District. Good info on those teams and who they've played. Very good stuff.

If schools are closed today, does that mean that those games are cancelled for tonight? Well, I found out some games are being played. So probably need to check your schools

Last edited:
The vote for playoff seeding has already begun, therefore "winning out" has no bearing on what the seeds will be. Brackets will be out this weekend.
Wrong the voting happens Sunday morning with the seeding as to where teams choose to play comes an hour after

Girard has always played it's best basketball in February and March under this current coaching staff, and this year is no different. The margin is razor thin in most of these games though, and they could win them all or lose them all. That seems to be the common theme in the area this year; 50/50 games that come down to the last 4 minutes. Struthers should beat Girard at home, but the Cats better not take the Indians lightly.
3 quarters, they played tough but struthers eventually won by almost 30

I know both of those schools were closed today. Nothing to do with this conference, but Boardman/Harding is still on. Maybe being on live TV had something to do with that one
The voting window opened Thursday at 12:01am and closes at noon on Saturday.
That’s true but coaches usually don’t put their votes in until the last minute, it’s going to be interesting which teams take a bye depending on how the bracket is shaping up

That’s true but coaches usually don’t put their votes in until the last minute, it’s going to be interesting which teams take a bye depending on how the bracket is shaping up
They don’t get to choose where they go on the bracket any longer, at least in the NE district. They are placed based on their seed like the NCAA tournament. They will be placed on a 16 team bracket and the top seeds will get the byes depending on how many there are.

They don’t get to choose where they go on the bracket any longer, at least in the NE district. They are placed based on their seed like the NCAA tournament. They will be placed on a 16 team bracket and the top seeds will get the byes depending on how many there are.
That’s odd I haven’t been there in a Sunday in 2 years now, why did they change it?

Was the Girard/Struthers game actually cancelled, or just postponed? Poland/Jefferson was also called off tonight, but rescheduled for tomorrow. Struthers already plays Perry tomorrow.

Being that it's an NE8 game, doesn't the Girard/Struthers game have to be made up at some point?

The game was postponed, it will be made up soon, the Perry game is still on Jv start at 430.

I figured they would have cancelled Perry and played the league game but they’re going to find a way to get both in

I think they changed it because the top seeds elected to play games instead of byes and it resulted in some pretty bad blow outs.
A lot did do that just because looking at the easiest road to boardman and beyond, takes a cool element that the average fan who didn’t know how the seeding used to take place

Updated standings...

1. Struthers 15-3, 10-2
2. Poland 13-6, 10-3
3. Girard 9-10, 8-4
4. South Range 11-7, 6-6
5. Jefferson 7-11, 6-7
6. Lakeview 8-12, 5-8
7. Hubbard 6-13, 3-10
8. Niles 3-15, 2-10

Friday's games...

Struthers at Hubbard
Poland at Niles
Girard at Lakeview
Jefferson at South Range

Notes...
The Girard/Struthers game that was postponed last Friday will be made up on Monday 2/17, as previously mentioned. The South Range/Niles game that was postponed last Friday will be made up on Thursday 2/20.

Struthers took it to Niles who played stall ball the first time around and jumped on them early and created turnovers and made Niles play from behind.
The cats got into a funk a couple of weeks ago, and looked better the last 2 games then they have looked all year right in time. Girard will be huge next Monday, then they will most likely play for the third time 2 weeks later

Struthers beats Hubbard tonight 78-60... they play girard Monday at home... with a win they will be NE8 champs! With a loss they most likely tie Poland for the league crown

Just saw that Lakeview clobbered Girard 73-50 (@ Lview)
Hopefully we play to our potential on Monday against the Indians, then Southern and Sebring will be afterthoughts.
The Cats should finish 19-3.