NE8 conference 2019-2020

So I have seen this a few times from Struthers fans about the shot clock, and I just can't get past it. Does it really bother you that much that a team, that is at a disadvantage in talent, uses the rules in their favor? So much so, that you want to add a shot clock because of this? I love that you talk about a 40 point beatdown years ago as though Ken Grisdale give a damn about that. He puts his kids in the position to win, which he did once, and almost did it again. Maybe instead of complaining about wanting a shot clock, Struthers should find ways to speed the game up and play to their advantage.

So I have seen this a few times from Struthers fans about the shot clock, and I just can't get past it. Does it really bother you that much that a team, that is at a disadvantage in talent, uses the rules in their favor? So much so, that you want to add a shot clock because of this? I love that you talk about a 40 point beatdown years ago as though Ken Grisdale give a damn about that. He puts his kids in the position to win, which he did once, and almost did it again. Maybe instead of complaining about wanting a shot clock, Struthers should find ways to speed the game up and play to their advantage.
I can’t get on board with a coach who complain about recruiting using other antics to keep his teams in games, if you’re going to complain about things teams do then don’t do things that other teams will complain about, or simply stop complaining. Girard did the same thing against struthers until struthers is speed them up and went up 30 in less then a quarter, it’s a statewide problem with the shot clock not just this area. Nobody wants to go watch a state title or state semi game when the final score is in the 30’s. Sure you’ll have more blowouts, but you’ll be able to guage more on who the better teams are

I watched a bit of Poland-SR. Was sitting at 14-9 for the longest time due to the slowdown tactics. (Was 19-9 at half)

I don't know about anyone else, but there needs to be a shot clock. You can fall asleep watching Poland play. The only reason they do it against us is they're afraid of a 40-point beatdown, like several years ago.
I sure hope they get knocked off early in the tournament. Definitely don't want nothing to do with Grisdale's group anymore this year.
Poland does it because they don’t have talent and soon they’ll be on the lower end of the league in sports besides baseball i give it 5-7 years. Gris said it in the paper last week that look at struthers kids and look at ours we shouldn’t have a chance. That’s embarrassing and not right to say that about your kids especially when it’s published.

I watched a bit of Poland-SR. Was sitting at 14-9 for the longest time due to the slowdown tactics. (Was 19-9 at half)

I don't know about anyone else, but there needs to be a shot clock. You can fall asleep watching Poland play. The only reason they do it against us is they're afraid of a 40-point beatdown, like several years ago.
I sure hope they get knocked off early in the tournament. Definitely don't want nothing to do with Grisdale's group anymore this year.
I swear everything in Poland must be slow motion. Lol

You can't blame Poland for playing a style within the rules that fits their team's abilities and gives them the best chance of being successful.

Gauging who the best teams are isn't what any coach is out to do. WINNING is what a coach is out to do, and if Grisdale, who has about 11 district titles, playing 11 different styles, feels this style best suits his team, then that is what he will, and should, do. Struthers keeps complaining about a shot clock because of what other teams are trying to do to them, maybe they should do a better job in game of making the game more to their comfort. I think a shot clock will lead to worse basketball in the area. Kids aren't skilled enough anymore to understand how to play with a shot clock.

Yeah.... I don’t know how you could be proud of holding the ball all game. It’s embarrassing. Why there isn’t a shot clock is beyond me.

Might be a long night according to Scorestream:

18-3 Jefferson Area over Struthers 013120.png

Hannon is a great coach, big win
Gauging who the best teams are isn't what any coach is out to do. WINNING is what a coach is out to do, and if Grisdale, who has about 11 district titles, playing 11 different styles, feels this style best suits his team, then that is what he will, and should, do. Struthers keeps complaining about a shot clock because of what other teams are trying to do to them, maybe they should do a better job in game of making the game more to their comfort. I think a shot clock will lead to worse basketball in the area. Kids aren't skilled enough anymore to understand how to play with a shot clock.
kids are more skilled then they ever have been. The bad teams will look worse but I have no problem with it just like football it happens

Watched Struthers and Jefferson game last night the talent level in this league is down quite a bit from previous years always goes in cycles this was a tough bball league a couple of years ago

Updated standings...

1. Struthers 13-2, 9-1
2. Poland 10-6, 7-3
3. Girard 7-10, 6-4
4. South Range 10-6, 5-5
4. Lakeview 8-9, 5-5
6. Jefferson 5-10, 4-6
7. Hubbard 5-11, 2-8
8. Niles 3-13, 2-8

Tuesday's games...

Struthers at South Range
Poland at Lakeview
Girard at Niles
Jefferson at Hubbard

Watched Struthers and Jefferson game last night the talent level in this league is down quite a bit from previous years always goes in cycles this was a tough bball league a couple of years ago
Hard to get up for a game when you already beat a team by 30. When the top teams play it’s a fun watch

This league is bad across the board this year sorry be hard pressed to name 5 top players in the league good coaches though

Agreed just seemed like the last 5 or 6 years most of the teams had a couple of really solid players looks like a lot of inexperienced kids that will only get better appears like a lot of good coaches getting the most out of them

Updated standings...

1. Struthers 13-3, 9-2
2. Poland 11-6, 8-3
3. Girard 8-10, 7-4
4. South Range 11-6, 6-5
5. Lakeview 8-10, 5-6
5. Jefferson 6-10, 5-6
7. Hubbard 5-12, 2-9
7. Niles 3-14, 2-9

Friday's games...
Girard at Struthers
Poland at Jefferson
Niles at South Range
Lakeview at Hubbard

Updated standings...

1. Struthers 13-3, 9-2
2. Poland 11-6, 8-3
3. Girard 8-10, 7-4
4. South Range 11-6, 6-5
5. Lakeview 8-10, 5-6
5. Jefferson 6-10, 5-6
7. Hubbard 5-12, 2-9
7. Niles 3-14, 2-9

Friday's games...
Girard at Struthers
Poland at Jefferson
Niles at South Range
Lakeview at Hubbard
That Hannon has this Girard group at near .500 and still in contention for the league title is certainly a testament to his coaching ability. A young, inexperienced squad, with virtually no depth, and one of his better players--Malito--in and out (recently: out) of the line-up all year due to injury/illness, and he's still got them competing at a high level, albeit winning some games, as they say, "ugly". But wins nonetheless.

Girard has league games remaining against Struthers, South Range, and Lakeview, the latter two just below them in the standings; before finishing up at home against a pretty strong Division III team Springfield. If the Indians could possibly pull off an upset at Struthers (not likely, although we would have said the same thing a week ago about beating Poland), and then beat South Range and Lakeview; and if Poland and Struthers were to each lose another league game, then we'd be potentially looking at a three-way tie for the league crown.

Struthers looked horrible against south Range last night. But what was curious was that Struthers only had three fouls going into the fourth quarter, and was called for seven fouls in the fourth.

Worst officiated game I’ve seen in some time, doesn’t surprise me with a poland guy running the show making it all about him, but it happens, cats don’t turn the ball over they win every game by 15 but that’s been killing them as of late.

girard will play everyone tough but they could easily lose all of them

On a positive note, Struthers has for the most part been a lot better at home than they've been on the road. And 5 of the Cats's 6 remaining games are at home. The only road game is at Hubbard.

2/7 vs Girard
2/8 vs Perry
2/11 vs Niles
2/14 at Hubbard
2/18 vs Southern
2/21 vs Sebring

Cats will probably need to win the 3 remaining NE8 games to win the NE8 outright. And they probably need to win out in order to lock up the #1 seed at Boardman.

On a positive note, Struthers has for the most part been a lot better at home than they've been on the road. And 5 of the Cats's 6 remaining games are at home. The only road game is at Hubbard.

2/7 vs Girard
2/8 vs Perry
2/11 vs Niles
2/14 at Hubbard
2/18 vs Southern
2/21 vs Sebring

Cats will probably need to win the 3 remaining NE8 games to win the NE8 outright. And they probably need to win out in order to lock up the #1 seed at Boardman.

The vote for playoff seeding has already begun, therefore "winning out" has no bearing on what the seeds will be. Brackets will be out this weekend.

Girard has always played it's best basketball in February and March under this current coaching staff, and this year is no different. The margin is razor thin in most of these games though, and they could win them all or lose them all. That seems to be the common theme in the area this year; 50/50 games that come down to the last 4 minutes. Struthers should beat Girard at home, but the Cats better not take the Indians lightly.

The vote for playoff seeding has already begun, therefore "winning out" has no bearing on what the seeds will be. Brackets will be out this weekend.

That's interesting. Why not wait until the final week of the regular season to vote? Voting with 2 and a half weeks left in the regular season seems kinda ridiculous to me. Is it just one of those things where that's the way it's always been done so that's why they do it that way?

That's interesting. Why not wait until the final week of the regular season to vote? Voting with 2 and a half weeks left in the regular season seems kinda ridiculous to me. Is it just one of those things where that's the way it's always been done so that's why they do it that way?

Sectional tournaments start on the 17th on the ohsaa calendar, and the Southeast districts have sectional games starting that day. So that would be a week before, well 8 days