NE8 conference 2019-2020

330Football

With football season ending and a lot of teams showed some success in year one, we move into year 2 of the NE8. Everyone except Poland and Hubbard have at least 2 games under their belt, poland had games moved for their football season success.

So far here are some things

SOUTH RANGE 2-0- wins over Labrae and Canfield, next up they have lakeview

STRUTHERS 2-0- wins over JFK and Columbiana, next up Laurel Pa 2-0

POLAND 0-0 - no games yet, preseason game win over Columbiana tho

LAKEVIEW 2-1 - wins over falls and champion, loss to boardman by a lot. Next up at SR

GIRARD 1-2 - win over Salem and losses to champion and McDonald “by 50”

JEFFERSON 0-1 - loss to Edgewood, next vs girard

NILES 1-2 - win over Labrae and losses to champion and liberty”OT” next vs Hubbard

HUBBARD 0-1 - loss to Louisville by 30.

It should be a somewhat competitive league I think the league title will come down to struthers and south range, poland is a wildcard depending on how quickly the young kids can be coached up in the bulldog system.

South Range, Struthers, Poland... 3 team race. Maybe Lakeview a Dark Horse?

How have the Cats looked so far? I saw they beefed up their scrimmage schedule... Canton McKinley and McDowell, with East Palestine sandwiched in as a tune up. They've won their first 2 against JFK and Columbiana, by 21 and 19 respectively... so I guess everything is going according to plan. But Saturday is going to be a real challenge.

Should be an exciting season... Cats have the talent to make a run the next couple years. I hope they can put it all together.

Girard actually lost by almost 70 points to McDonald. It was 115-47. Nice, though, that the Indians got a win last night at Salem.

Girard super young. Will be a tough start for them, but could be decent by middle of the year. Poland, SR, and Struthers. I don't trust the Cats though. Lot of talk usually comes out of there, without a lot of backing it up.

Girard super young. Will be a tough start for them, but could be decent by middle of the year. Poland, SR, and Struthers. I don't trust the Cats though. Lot of talk usually comes out of there, without a lot of backing it up.

Not untrue. Hope the Cats get it together this year.

This struthers team has finally bought into a system that the new coach has brought with him, last year they were talented but had weak spots in the court, this years I believe their only starter under 6’4 is slocum and he has made a big difference on both sides of the ball. The coach before was up and down and did everything off of emotion, it’s more of a basketball team now, south range will be the only team able to matchup in my opinion and I have been very critical of the cats but this gear seems a lot different. Especially the way they played against McKinley who is loaded, scrimmage yesterday but the kids battled and that’s something you haven’t seen in the last couple years since they lost in the district final. Which was only 2 years ago

Happy to see the Raiders beat Canfield last week. Wasn't expecting that after a number of graduations from last year, but it looks like they have a nice mix of seniors and juniors on the team including Gehring coming back to play basketball after a year off.

Happy to see the Raiders beat Canfield last week. Wasn't expecting that after a number of graduations from last year, but it looks like they have a nice mix of seniors and juniors on the team including Gehring coming back to play basketball after a year off.
They play hard, that’ll keep you in games alone

Lakeview big win over south range last night 55-44
Hubbard over Niles 51-45
Jefferson over girard 60-58

Struthers plays laurel Pa today
Poland plays Mooney

Lakeview big win over south range last night 55-44
Hubbard over Niles 51-45
Jefferson over girard 60-58

Struthers plays laurel Pa today
Poland plays Mooney
Cats won 78-65.
The Laurel Spartans were 4-0 until this afternoon. Cats trailed by 1 at the half.
Next games are Springfield Tigers vs Neshannock Lancers and
Canton McKinley Bulldogs vs. Butler Area Golden Tornadoes.

Last edited:
I was impressed with Struthers today. Very nice TEAM win... extra emphasis on TEAM. Big statement by the Cats.
Next up... at Lakeview on Tuesday and home vs Jefferson on Friday. Should be 5-0 going into the Fitch game.

Poland lost to Mooney, 38-34... were they playing stall ball or what?

Cats won 78-65.
The Laurel Spartans were 4-0 until this afternoon. Cats trailed by 1 at the half.
Next games are Springfield Tigers vs Neshannock Lancers and
Canton McKinley Bulldogs vs. Butler Area Golden Tornadoes.

Caught the 4th quarter of the first game... Western Reserve girls beat Laurel... I think by single digits.

Springfield lost a close one... I think it was 53-56. That was another back and forth game. Tigers missed a 3 to tie it at the buzzer.

Left with a couple minutes left in the Canton/Butler game... Canton was up 59-51. Canton's big man is a beast.

I was impressed with Struthers today. Very nice TEAM win... extra emphasis on TEAM. Big statement by the Cats.
Next up... at Lakeview on Tuesday and home vs Jefferson on Friday. Should be 5-0 going into the Fitch game.

Poland lost to Mooney, 38-34... were they playing stall ball or what?
I watched from halftime on. (18-17 Poland I believe). Poland played a serious slowdown game. Poland looked really sloppy, missing plenty of shots and had mucho turnovers. Mooney didn’t look much better, they just got some lucky breaks near the end.
This terrible game reminded me of when they played the slowdown game against the Cats in a district final 46-43. We beat them rather convincingly twice during the season and all they could hope for was slowdown and it almost worked. God I hate a slowdown game. Might as well take an afternoon siesta. ???

I watched from halftime on. (18-17 Poland I believe). Poland played a serious slowdown game. Poland looked really sloppy, missing plenty of shots and had mucho turnovers. Mooney didn’t look much better, they just got some lucky breaks near the end.
This terrible game reminded me of when they played the slowdown game against the Cats in a district final 46-43. We beat them rather convincingly twice during the season and all they could hope for was slowdown and it almost worked. God I hate a slowdown game. Might as well take an afternoon siesta. ???
The game at home the cats win by almost 50 and scored in the 90s that night lol.

I’ve been telling people this struthers team this year just looks different, haven’t had this type of team since sav was at the helm

Struthers moves to 4-0 with a win on the road vs lakeview who falls to 3-3 on the year with bac to back losses.

Poland pulls out a good win 51-45 at South range to move to 1-1, SR falls to 2-2

Girard beats Hubbard 63-59

couldn’t find the Jefferson niles score

I figured Struthers and Niles would win. But I thought the Hubbard/Girard score would've been reversed. And I thought Poland/SR could go either way... but I gave SR a slight edge because they were at home. That's a nice early season win for Poland.

I think these are the up to date standings...
Struthers 4-0, 1-0
Poland 1-1, 1-0
Lakeview 3-2, 1-1
Hubbard 1-2, 1-1
Jefferson 1-2, 1-1
Niles 2-3, 1-1
Girard 2-3, 1-1
South Range 2-2, 0-2

I figured Struthers and Niles would win. But I thought the Hubbard/Girard score would've been reversed. And I thought Poland/SR could go either way... but I gave SR a slight edge because they were at home. That's a nice early season win for Poland.

I think these are the up to date standings...
Struthers 4-0, 1-0
Poland 1-1, 1-0
Lakeview 3-2, 1-1
Hubbard 1-2, 1-1
Jefferson 1-2, 1-1
Niles 2-3, 1-1
Girard 2-3, 1-1
South Range 2-2, 0-2
Poland and SR lost a good bit of scoring from last year, the bottom half of the league at the end will have very early exits in the lost season.

Tonight’s games

Struthers vs Jefferson
Hubbard vs south range
Niles vs lakeview

Poland plays Howland on the 23rd
Girard off till the new year

Tonight’s games

Struthers vs Jefferson
Hubbard vs south range
Niles vs lakeview

Poland plays Howland on the 23rd
Girard off till the new year

Hmmm...my schedule for Girard shows the following:

Tonight 12/20: @ Poland
Saturday 12/21: vs. Youngstown East (@ Girard)
Saturday 12/28: vs. Newton Falls (@ Girard)

MaxPreps many times does have complete schedules. It’s decent for scores, etc but not accurate most of the time.