NE District sites and teams

Looking at D2, the boys seem to be pretty balanced. The girls, on the other hand is confusing to me. GlenOak has 26 teams and 8 spots, Madison 23 teams and 6 spots, Lorain has 19 teams and 6 spots. Madison has 3 less teams than GlenOak but 2 less spots, 4 more teams than Lorain but the same amount of spots. Why is that?

Then you look at D1 and they have 28 teams at all 3 sites on the boys side and 24, 25, and 26 on the girls side. Why can't the D2 be more balanced?

Looking at D2, the boys seem to be pretty balanced. The girls, on the other hand is confusing to me. GlenOak has 26 teams and 8 spots, Madison 23 teams and 6 spots, Lorain has 19 teams and 6 spots. Madison has 3 less teams than GlenOak but 2 less spots, 4 more teams than Lorain but the same amount of spots. Why is that?
Number of teams divided by number of qualifying. 68 teams / 20 spots = 3.4. So one qualifying team per 3.4 teams. 26 / 3.4 = 7.65 round up to 8.
19/3.4=5.6 round up to 6. 23/3.4= 6.77 So they rounded down. to 6. I personally would go to 7 and let an extra team into the Regional.

Do you take the more stacked District that only has 19 and round it down to 5? Do that and you might as well not run the race cuz you know the 5 spots. The rest are going for one spot. The other 2 Districts at least have half the spots up in the air. They could take Beaumont and put them in Lorain, but that just takes that spot.

Who do you move? Tallmadge? That doesn't really solve anything. Anything you do just adds teams to the Lorain District and really doesn't do much. I don't think by law you can move $VSM. Woodridge and CVCA can travel all over the place but not $V$M.

So, either allow one more team, or round one of the Districts down.

Last edited:
I knew I should have gone to that Math class in college instead of playing another hand of Euchre!!
Which brings back to another topic of why 20 girls teams and 19 boys teams at Regional in D2 or 14 and 13 in D3? Why does it not come out to be an equal number? Isn't there some Title IX violation in there?

Those numbers are based on the ratio of the number of teams in NE District compared to the number of teams in the state in that division. Put simply, the NE has a higher percentage of D2 girls teams in Ohio than they have D2 boys teams. Another district will have a higher percentage of boys and thus the opposite will be true for that district.

This also goes to psycho_dad's question of why not just allow another team at regionals. Columbus decides how many teams make regionals from each administrative district. It's up to the DAB to determine how to allocate those qualifiers at the various competition sites.

This doesn't really answer your question, but technically, it's 20 teams at Madison, 19 at Lorain, and 22 at GlenOak. 3 of the schools at Madison and 4 at GlenOak are listed as having individuals only. A few of those designations will change as the season progresses. Some teams may not have even begun meeting yet to know if they have enough runners to be considered a team.

I knew I should have gone to that Math class in college instead of playing another hand of Euchre!!
Which brings back to another topic of why 20 girls teams and 19 boys teams at Regional in D2 or 14 and 13 in D3? Why does it not come out to be an equal number? Isn't there some Title IX violation in there?
Numbers between boys and girls will not be equal at districts because last year there was 563 boys teams and only 472 girls teams across the state.

So that means 10.7% of boys and 12.7% of girls teams will make it to state.

This doesn't really answer your question, but technically, it's 20 teams at Madison, 19 at Lorain, and 22 at GlenOak. 3 of the schools at Madison and 4 at GlenOak are listed as having individuals only. A few of those designations will change as the season progresses. Some teams may not have even begun meeting yet to know if they have enough runners to be considered a team.
I did not catch that. I just assumed that the "I" were taken out of the count. It does say schools and not teams though. Usually that number reflects full team numbers and not schools. Of course the only one I took the time to count was the only one that did not have any "I" designations, so I assumed the numbers being used were for the schools with teams.

So, 61 teams. for 20 spots = 3.05 22/3.05=7.21 (8?) 19/3.05=6.23 (6) 20/3.05 6.56 (6?) So, IMO, GlenOak should have 7, Lorain 6 and Madison 7, using elementary rounding rules.