NCAA Ranking 11/20/2019 & Who's Number 3

bdhof

The big news...
#3 tOSU loses to #21 VT! Slamming Sammy gets pinned by an Ohio kid! The world is coming to an end! OK, that last one was not real, but the first two were. Ryan doesn't really care all that much about wins and losses in duals, so I don't think he loses too much sleep on the VT loss. And most will consider the Sasso pin a learning step for a freshman. He'll be fine, altho will drop in some polls.

Other big news...
OKST lost to #12 LEH, but this is not a big deal to them as several guys were out of the lineup and, again, duals don't mean that much, particularly in November.

Perhaps the biggest news...
PSU's 197 Conel fell to #7 (IM) after losing to a guy no one ever heard of, and just after winning by a point to another guy no one ever heard of. Then he INJ DF'ed out of the brutal Black Night Inv (sarcasm emoji needed here). National power, Army (unranked) won the team title at this prestigious event. To be fair to PSU, they were w/o a couple of NCAA champs in Cassar and Joseph. Also of note, PSU has a plan B (Beard) in case Conel doesn't work out. The last thing about this team, they have the weakest schedule of any top team that I can remember. The Black Night Inv is it for PSU until they get to the B10s. No CK, no Midlands, no Scuffle, nada. They do have a tough dual schedule, w/ non conference #6 AZST & #12 LEH along w/ B10 powers #2 IOWA & #5 tOSU. I guess it's by design - stay healthy and use the B10 (which they don't mind losing) to prep for the NCAAs.

Now on to the rankings...

As w/ tOSU, OKST didn't look like the 3rd or 4th best team in NCAAs. And it's very likely that neither will be. The field is crowded for 3rd. One of these days I'll break down the rankings of those chasing the spot for runner-up to the runner-up. Oh, that day is today (see below).

These rankings compile the average rankings of five venues - Amateur Wrestling News (AWN), Intermat (IM), The Open Mat (TOM), Trackwrestling (TW), and Wrestler Insider Magazine (WIN). Last year Flowrestling (Flo) was included but they took their rankings behind a paywall this year so they won't be included unless that changes (which I doubt). When one or more of these venues do not submit a ranking, then the compilation will be of those venues that did. This week all 5 submitted rankings. I will focus on the top four teams and the normal standard bearers are the top four - PSU, tOSU, IOWA and OKST. PSU and IOWA are clearly 1 & 2 this year, altho the order is in doubt as the season begins. The battle for 3rd is very crowded. I will always include tOSU and will include OKST for now unless a clear selection for the 4th team develops. I give each team an average ranking for their lineup, awarding advancement and placement points (no bonus pts). The plus/minus is the difference between this week and last week.

Weekly Rankings
1 PSU 115 (minus 9)
2 IOWA 114.5 (plus 3)
3 tOSU 49.5 (minus 2)
4 OKST 44.5 (minus 3.5)

IOWA is 0.5 behind PSU, in what is expected to be a tight race from November thru March.

Last edited:
Who's Number Three?
As stated above, tOSU standings in the team race is uncertain with 3rd place up for grabs. IM has them 5th (WIS & NEB 3rd-4th), TW has them in t-4th w/ WIS (NEB 3rd), WIN has them 4th (WIS 3rd) and TOM has them 5th (WIS & NEB 3rd-4th). Looking at 11 different colleges (top 7 below) that are competing for the 3rd place slot, the current landscape looks like this:
3rd Wisconsin 58
4th Nebraska 54.5
5th Ohio State 53.5*
6th Arizona State 49
7th OKST 48.5*
8th Northern Iowa 45
9th Iowa State 42

*These numbers are different than what I use in the Top 4 calculation above, due to using IM's team points which include bonus pts. Other venues do not use bonus pts, nor do I.

Last edited:
tOSU has 3 wrestlers ranked in the top 8. Here's the list of Ohio wrestlers ranked Top 8 by IM, including affiliates.
none
none
1 Luke Pletcher Ohio State

2 Dom Demas Oklahoma
none
none
2 Alex Marinelli Iowa
none
5 Ben Darmstadt Cornell
1 Kollin Moore Ohio State

7 Kyle Conel Penn State
7 Matt Stencel Central Michigan
8 Chase Singletary Ohio State

Consensus #1
197 Kollin Moore Ohio State

Other tOSU ranked wrestlers:

133 Quinner #13, 149 Sasso #11, 165 Smith #13

Let me know if I missed any OH guys in the top 8.

Coming up this week...
#5 tOSU off
#1 PSU vs #6 AZST
#2 IOWA vs #8 IOWA ST
#9 OKST vs #17 MINN

The last thing about this team, they have the weakest schedule of any top team that I can remember. The Black Night Inv is it for PSU until they get to the B10s. No CK, no Midlands, no Scuffle, nada. They do have a tough dual schedule, w/ non conference #6 AZST & #12 LEH along w/ B10 powers #2 IOWA & #5 tOSU. I guess it's by design - stay healthy and use the B10 (which they don't mind losing) to prep for the NCAAs.

I think this was done also because of they Olympic year as some of their guys have aspirations of making that team.

I think this was done also because of they Olympic year as some of their guys have aspirations of making that team.
I agree, but they could have just sent the others like they did at the Black Night. Probably Joseph, Hall and Cassar are the only guys who may give the OLY a try.

The big news...
#3 tOSU loses to #21 VT! Slamming Sammy gets pinned by an Ohio kid! The world is coming to an end! OK, that last one was not real, but the first two were. Ryan doesn't really care all that much about wins and losses in duals, so I don't think he loses too much sleep on the VT loss. And most will consider the Sasso pin a learning step for a freshman. He'll be fine, altho will drop in some polls.

Other big news...
OKST lost to #12 LEH, but this is not a big deal to them as several guys were out of the lineup and, again, duals don't mean that much, particularly in November.

Perhaps the biggest news...
PSU's 197 Conel fell to #7 (IM) after losing to a guy no one ever heard of, and just after winning by a point to another guy no one ever heard of. Then he INJ DF'ed out of the brutal Black Night Inv (sarcasm emoji needed here). National power, Army (unranked) won the team title at this prestigious event. To be fair to PSU, they were w/o a couple of NCAA champs in Cassar and Joseph. Also of note, PSU has a plan B (Beard) in case Conel doesn't work out. The last thing about this team, they have the weakest schedule of any top team that I can remember. The Black Night Inv is it for PSU until they get to the B10s. No CK, no Midlands, no Scuffle, nada. They do have a tough dual schedule, w/ non conference #6 AZST & #12 LEH along w/ B10 powers #2 IOWA & #5 tOSU. I guess it's by design - stay healthy and use the B10 (which they don't mind losing) to prep for the NCAAs.

Now on to the rankings...
Conel's problem was he drew the same referee both times. Refs fault, LOL!!

Weekly Rankings
1 PSU 115 (minus 9)
2 IOWA 114.5 (plus 3)
3 tOSU 49.5 (minus 2)
4 OKST 44.5 (minus 3.5)

Penn St or Iowa......... which team do you hate the least??????

Reactions: GWF
Weekly Rankings
1 PSU 115 (minus 9)
2 IOWA 114.5 (plus 3)
3 tOSU 49.5 (minus 2)
4 OKST 44.5 (minus 3.5)

Penn St or Iowa......... which team do you hate the least??????
Brands acts like a punk as do many of his wrestlers.
Cael is pretty classy most of the time as are most of his wrestlers.
So, obviously, I hate PSU the most (because they win too much) and would love to see Brands and his team of punks win B10s and NCAAs.

Brands acts like a punk as do many of his wrestlers.
Cael is pretty classy most of the time as are most of his wrestlers.
So, obviously, I hate PSU the most (because they win too much) and would love to see Brands and his team of punks win B10s and NCAAs.

I'll be rooting for whichever team crooked bdhof is rooting against!