NCAA grants waiver allowing QB Justin Fields to play for Buckeyes in 2019

Yappi

Go Buckeyes

Just shows the NCAA is in bed with Ohio State. Pretty black and white Fields needs to sit a year.

Why ? Who does that benefit ?

It seems obvious that this young man's release to play was little more than a formality. The little white QB, Tate Martell, took off for greener pastures long ago.

The rules are changing, and the NCAA is under tremendous pressure from every corner to allow top players to have greater freedom.

The NCAA has acquiesced to being the NFL's "farm system", not only because it profits them greatly (to the benefit of every other sport, don't forget), but because the people in the grassroots - former players, parents, rising players themselves - demand it. There is a well-defined strata of talent that doesn't give a fig about education.

I think that this attitude has spun off from AAU basketball in many regards. It's about what these people value and the freedom to pursue it. I personally think it's a bad thing, but my values aren't that common any more. It's the changing tide of a cultural problem that the NCAA can't hold back. At some point, it's pointless to try.

It only makes sense that a top program like tOSU would be at the leading edge of a rule change :shrug:

Why ? Who does that benefit ?

It seems obvious that this young man's release to play was little more than a formality. The little white QB, Tate Martell, took off for greener pastures long ago.

The rules are changing, and the NCAA is under tremendous pressure from every corner to allow top players to have greater freedom.

The NCAA has acquiesced to being the NFL's "farm system", not only because it profits them greatly (to the benefit of every other sport, don't forget), but because the people in the grassroots - former players, parents, rising players themselves - demand it. There is a well-defined strata of talent that doesn't give a fig about education.

I think that the attitudes spin off of AAU basketball in many regards. It's the changing tide of a cultural problem that the NCAA can't hold back. At some point, it's pointless to try.

It only makes sense that a top program like tOSU would be at the leading edge of a rule change :shrug:

Called corruption. If Tate Martell can’t play, Fields can’t play. You can’t make different rules for different schools.

Called corruption. If Tate Martell can’t play, Fields can’t play. You can’t make different rules for different schools.

The NCAA has to be very careful about opening Pandora’s Box. Otherwise, any black player transferring could lie to say they felt racially intimidated at a certain school.

I do and I don’t blame Fields. For one, if he felt so intimidated at UGA bc of the issue with the baseball player, why didn’t he leave right away? Furthermore, why is his Sister still there? However, I appreciate him wanting to get on the field ASAP. That’s his job, and he’s doing everything possible to get out there.

I still think he’s ultimately a punk. He thought he’d come in, beat out Fromm with ease and when that didn’t happen, he pouted.

Fields knew what he was getting into at UGA - he should have to sit a year. The NCAA needs to make these transfer rules more black and white, it's too gray as is.

If you play a down at all, you have to sit the following season.
If you don't see the field at all, then you're eligible right away.
The grad transfer rule can stay in place but even that has basically become college free agency.

Just shows the NCAA is in bed with Ohio State. Pretty black and white Fields needs to sit a year.

These waivers are granted all the time. How does it benefit the NCAA to deny the waiver and face the racism accusations?

These waivers are granted all the time. How does it benefit the NCAA to deny the waiver and face the racism accusations?

They are becoming more and more commonplace. Just takes some Buckeye-butthurt to make some people take notice.....

...or private/public butthurt if it happens on the HS level. :D

They are becoming more and more commonplace. Just takes some Buckeye-butthurt to make some people take notice.....

...or private/public butthurt if it happens on the HS level. :D

The day they allowed the first waiver was the day they opened themselves up to this. Of course it was going to be abused. This is a multi-million dollar industry that can't afford to have an off season.