NCAA Eligibility Extended

Yes so this year is exempt and does not count towards eligibility. So basically nobody will redshirt and this is a free year.
This is huge for senior loaded teams like Iowa all those kids get to come back again next year leaving a possiblity of a 5x NCAA champ.

So, my take is last year's seniors (Pletcher, Moore, etc) do not qualify for this extra year, but all underclassmen (juniors, sophomores, freshmen) basically got a redshirt last year (Sasso, Romero, etc). Am I reading this correctly?

Yes so this year is exempt and does not count towards eligibility. So basically nobody will redshirt and this is a free year.
This is huge for senior loaded teams like Iowa all those kids get to come back again next year leaving a possiblity of a 5x NCAA champ.

So, I don't claim to be the smartest guy, but how does it allow a 5x champ since last year there were no champs?

Never mind - this year's freshman. I get it.

Its going to be a money issue for mid majors next year the 9.9 scholarships are still in tact plus the seniors can still return so essentially some schools may have 12 or more guys on scholarships. Yes last years seniors really got the short end of the stick sadly.

Here's the language from the NCAA Council:

"Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the Division I Council decided. The same flexibility was provided to student-athletes after the spring season was canceled in 2020 and the fall season was seriously impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic."

To me, this sounds like last year's seniors do not qualify. But I'm not sure about it.

Regardless of last year's seniors qualifying (probably not), mark down Iowa for the next two team championships.

This from Intermat:

"Graduating seniors did not receive any eligibility relief, with the council noting that those athletes had the opportunity to complete their regular seasons."

Won’t this be very harmful to HS kids’ recruiting chances?
I guess I don’t understand the logic of an additional year of eligibility for everyone. The only kids that were harmed or missed out were a handful of guys that qualified for the National Tournament that was cancelled. Not saying it’s wrong, just looking for someone to help me understand it and how it will influence HS kids as well. Because on the surface, a bunch of college wrestlers just got a windfall year at the expense of future opportunities for HS kids?

I guess I don’t understand the logic of an additional year of eligibility for everyone. The only kids that were harmed or missed out were a handful of guys that qualified for the National Tournament that was cancelled. Not saying it’s wrong, just looking for someone to help me understand it and how it will influence HS kids as well. Because on the surface, a bunch of college wrestlers just got a windfall year at the expense of future opportunities for HS kids?

I don't quite understand the timing of it. I'd understand if at some point they just shut it down and said that they get an extra year, but why preemptively make this move?

I thought I read that they were doing something special with the scholarships, but I could be wrong on that.

So, I don't claim to be the smartest guy, but how does it allow a 5x champ since last year there were no champs?

Never mind - this year's freshman. I get it.
Yanni from Cornell and Mekhi Lewis have shot at being 5x also as they won it there freshman year.

Yes Jaggers was on Flo saying this will affect the 2022 class of high school now juniors. Many wont be recruited they same because alot of colleges will stick with a kid they have had for 3-4 years vs taking a chance on a unproven freshman.Take a chance on losing a star recruit vs keeping a roster guy around.He said it will be a tough decision for tons of programs.Some 2022 will likely go prep school for a year.Tell it evens out.

Yes Jaggers was on Flo saying this will affect the 2022 class of high school now juniors. Many wont be recruited they same because alot of colleges will stick with a kid they have had for 3-4 years vs taking a chance on a unproven freshman.Take a chance on losing a star recruit vs keeping a roster guy around.He said it will be a tough decision for tons of programs.Some 2022 will likely go prep school for a year.Tell it evens out.

This will affect more than just the 2022 class. It will have affects on all kids in high school right now. I think you will see recruiting being very slow for kids for next few years as colleges will be very select who they offer scholarships money too. With college juniors, sophomores, and freshman getting an extra year that goes towards colleges 9.9 you will see a lot more college kids going into transfer portal and you will see more high school kids grey shirting and training at OTC. D1 College wrestling scholarship money will be harder to get for this group of high schoolers.

Very tough situation for high school kids right now as most can’t visit colleges campus or meet with coaches and are expected to make a huge life decision with limit information about places and coaches.

In my opinion this has nothing to do with whatever happens this season. This is the NCAA saying we don't want to deal with the whole OPT-OUT thing so everyone gets a year. Now it's up to each school and coach to figure out. Seems to be a pattern.

This will affect more than just the 2022 class. It will have affects on all kids in high school right now. I think you will see recruiting being very slow for kids for next few years as colleges will be very select who they offer scholarships money too. With college juniors, sophomores, and freshman getting an extra year that goes towards colleges 9.9 you will see a lot more college kids going into transfer portal and you will see more high school kids grey shirting and training at OTC. D1 College wrestling scholarship money will be harder to get for this group of high schoolers.

Very tough situation for high school kids right now as most can’t visit colleges campus or meet with coaches and are expected to make a huge life decision with limit information about places and coaches.

My boy has been on 2 visits already and we will be taking more.

And college scholarship money isn't really there already for many for athletics anyway (especially wrestling). It just reinforces what I hear high school coaches tell kids every year - GET GOOD GRADES!

My boy has been on 2 visits already and we will be taking more.

We are in the thick of this and have not been able to "officially" be on any D1 campus since the beginning of March. Unless you are talking D2 or D3 or non NCAA I would not be putting that out on the forum.

We are in the thick of this and have not been able to "officially" be on any D1 campus since the beginning of March. Unless you are talking D2 or D3 or non NCAA I would not be putting that out on the forum.

Kids and their families can visit. Can't have an "official visit" and the school can't "host". So basically if you show up to campus on your own dime a coach might meet up with you and possibly show the facilities. A lot of facilities are closed to anyone but necessary people now though. It'll be a mess for years but maybe...just maybe...this leads to more talent going nontraditional schools to get a spot. Maybe a few programs get better from this madness.

I'm searching for positives now

Yeah, I guess he was just talking specifically D1. It does suck for those wrestlers not being able to take visits.

But my second point still stands for those guys in the future.

Last edited:
Kids and their families can visit. Can't have an "official visit" and the school can't "host". So basically if you show up to campus on your own dime a coach might meet up with you and possibly show the facilities. A lot of facilities are closed to anyone but necessary people now though.

I'm searching for positives now

You can go to D1 schools on your dime but from the Major D1 colleges my son has talked with the coaches will not meet up with you during that trip. I have heard of D1 programs having wrestlers showing off wrestling rooms and other parts of the college.
I have not heard of D1 coaches meeting up with athletes on unofficial visits and giving them a tour of the campus during this dead period and risk getting busting meeting with an athlete.

I’m just lucky my son got to meet the staff at Virginia and visit the campus area several times when his oldest brother was going through the recruiting circuit multiple times.
I feel sorry for the kids that have to make such a big decision that can affect their careers without meeting coaches in person or maybe without visiting a campus or facilities. These kids also have to deal with tide up athletic scholarship money since kids was granted an extra year.

Glad my sons recruiting process is done early.

Best of luck to all the kids and families still looking for their future home. Best advice I can give young dads starting out is stay on top of your kids grades and social media accounts.

I wasn't saying campus tours or anything. Know some have been able to see the wrestling facilities. Didn't really think much into who let them in. I've stopped paying attention to NCAA recruitment regulations during this. Don't have kids and not coaching HS anymore so it's one less COVID topic I have to fit into my brain. I'm sure you're correct on the coaches meeting kids in the "dead period". I'm guessing the NCAA and individual schools wouldn't take kindly to those rules being broken.