NCAA Coaches talk about moving CWS to last week in July by 2022

Been brought up before and is an interesting idea. Move the draft back to mid July and we might have something here. Years ago, Coach Todd of Ohio State talked about having two CWS's. One for clubs North of the Mason-Dixon and one for the colleges South. Moving the season back would eliminate the need for something like that.

Been brought up before and is an interesting idea. Move the draft back to mid July and we might have something here. Years ago, Coach Todd of Ohio State talked about having two CWS's. One for clubs North of the Mason-Dixon and one for the colleges South. Moving the season back would eliminate the need for something like that.

The P5 schools are more likely to be able to afford pushing the season back than the other schools in D1. I can't see this happening outside of D1. From what I've read, there's a lot of underlying cost that comes into play of having to support the student-athletes once the spring semester comes to an end.

Their argument is that it'd save roughly $200K a year in travel. This is based on the fact that most northern teams spend the first few months traveling south. I have no clue how much it cost to keep players on campus. But I know a lot that stay for summer courses each year if they aren't invited to a major summer league. I believe they kept whatever financial aid and rooming agreements they were under throughout the rest of the year.

I think it could also align with the likely cut of minor league teams. Instead of a Rookie League Team...maybe just have a month long instructional period. One hurdle I see is that a mid to late July draft is when teams are traditionally looking a trade deadline moves.

Their argument is that it'd save roughly $200K a year in travel. This is based on the fact that most northern teams spend the first few months traveling south. I have no clue how much it cost to keep players on campus. But I know a lot that stay for summer courses each year if they aren't invited to a major summer league. I believe they kept whatever financial aid and rooming agreements they were under throughout the rest of the year.

I think it could also align with the likely cut of minor league teams. Instead of a Rookie League Team...maybe just have a month long instructional period. One hurdle I see is that a mid to late July draft is when teams are traditionally looking a trade deadline moves.
The more I see this, the more I like it. The drafted players from CWS teams take a month off and then head to fall instructional leagues/rookie leagues. The minor leagues being consolidated, arms being saved. This idea has a lot to offer. Plus the players could take summer courses and catch up on graduation requirements. The D2 and D3 programs also travel in the early months (so do JUCOs for that matter), so maybe this might work for everyone.