NCAA Championships in Cleveland 2026

Was looking forward to the Minnesota trip, and experiencing the football stadium venue. Would love to see them get a shot at it again.

???? Tulsa, OK ???? Kansas City, MO ???? Philadelphia, PA ???? Cleveland, OH
I get spreading out opportunities in the midwest for Big 10 and Big 12 fans, but there's something wrong to me with giving hosting opportunities to cities without a D1 team. Tulsa could have a team but doesn't, and UMKC is in KC and part of the Mizzou system but doesn't have a team. I like rewarding cities that invest in a D1 wrestling team.

I get spreading out opportunities in the midwest for Big 10 and Big 12 fans, but there's something wrong to me with giving hosting opportunities to cities without a D1 team. Tulsa could have a team but doesn't, and UMKC is in KC and part of the Mizzou system but doesn't have a team. I like rewarding cities that invest in a D1 wrestling team.
I am guessing airports and accommodations play a big part. Norman or Stillwater, Oklahoma and Columbia, Missouri don’t seem like big enough cities to host or have big enough arenas.

I wish they would pick a warm location one time.

Last edited:
I am guessing airports and accommodations play a big part. Norman or Stillwater, Oklahoma and Columbia, Missouri don’t seem like big enough cities to host or have big enough arenas.

No doubt. Do people really want the championships to take place in Lexington, VA? Or Mt. Pleasant, MI?

Curious why Columbus has never put in a bid. I realize they often host men's and women's BBall so maybe there's a conflict, but it seems like a great host city. Great arena, drivable from the wrestling hot belt states of PA, NJ, NY, Ill, Mi, not to mention Ohio, easy to get to by air also, downtown with lots of hotels, bars, restaurants, etc.

Been to several over the years, big fan of STL in general, looking forward to next year- fingers crossed.

I wish they would pick a warm location one time.
I would love them to go to the south and host a tourney or two if they aren't going to wrestling cities. A tournament in Atlanta or Nashville would be really fun I think.

To have an event somewhere requires there to be a bid. We don't know what CVB's put together bids, and which did not.

All four host venues for the 2023-2026 cycle were NOT part of the 2019-2022 cycle (PIT, MIN, STL, DET). CLE was in the 2015-2018 host cycle, PHI was in the cycle before that, while KC has also hosted before.

Tulsa is the surprise of the group because their arena capacity is smaller than that which has hosted events in recent years, in addition I don't think they have a great airport/hotel situation.

One of the limiting factors in the event going too south or too west is that the NCAA does fund (or at least I think they do) the travel arrangements for all the qualifying athletes. The more drivable the location of the event is for more competing teams/athletes, the better. Having hotels in close proximity to the competition venue is also something the NCAA values, for the teams along with the staff involved in staging the event.

The biggest question for Columbus in recent years has been in Nationwide wants to have the event.