NCAA 21 Natty results / discussions here!

For a down year with Ohio wrestling, it still was a pretty fun tournament for me to watch! Shane Griffith blasting a spotlight on Stanford cutting wrestling. Even though Iowa won the team title, Penn State looked scary as ever. The two celebratory flips (David Carr in an homage to his coaches Brent Metcalfe kerfuffle with Darrian Caldwell 12 years ago) and Gable Stevensons showing us Big men can do it too. And in a sport where African-American participation is not the greatest, to have half of the champs be of African-American descent, man I hope this could somehow lead to more kids in the inner cities eschewing the basketball court for the awesome sport of wrestling in future winters.

For a down year with Ohio wrestling, it still was a pretty fun tournament for me to watch! Shane Griffith blasting a spotlight on Stanford cutting wrestling. Even though Iowa won the team title, Penn State looked scary as ever. The two celebratory flips (David Carr in an homage to his coaches Brent Metcalfe kerfuffle with Darrian Caldwell 12 years ago) and Gable Stevensons showing us Big men can do it too. And in a sport where African-American participation is not the greatest, to have half of the champs be of African-American descent, man I hope this could somehow lead to more kids in the inner cities eschewing the basketball court for the awesome sport of wrestling in future winters.
290 pounds doing a flip. Ouch

That is not securing the left leg, it has to be behind the leg to secure it.

you mean like this?

1616420198049.png

Next year will be interesting. Eierman and Marinelli both have posted that they will be back. That leaves Desanto, Young and Kemmerer as the other seniors. Earlier indications were that they would be coming back. Who knows if NCAAs have changed their thoughts. I would think that Kemmerer is the most likely to return, to try to get the elusive championship. I think Young is engaged or married to T or T's daughter. So, he's probably back. Desanto is a wildcard, but he seems to have benefitted from the Iowa program and Coach Brands (even tho he still has issues). So, I think he's back as well. Spencer is a mess medically but has shown he can win without any ACLS (who needs them?). He could take a year off (hasn't used a RS yet) and have surgery, but my guess is the others all come back, Spencer will go as well. Maybe he waits until February, does a short season, and burns thru the NCAAs.

I think the cupboard is bare as far as incoming talent (recruits). Who knows what the transfer portal will bring, but there are not many places in this lineup to accommodate anyone.

So, does this lineup hold off the young and impressive PSU squad? A lot went wrong for Iowa at NCAAs - Marinelli (-18pts), Eierman and Kemmerer (-4 each after winning B10s). So, the surprisingly close 15.5 pt victory w/ just a healthy Marinelli could have been a +30 pt victory. But it wasn't. The question is, does PSU make up 16 pts on Iowa next year. And the answer lies not in the 4 champs (cna only do worse), but in their 2nd tier. 125 Howard was R16, 149 DNQ, 157 Berge MFF'ed out after a R12 finish, Joe Lee was 0-2, 197 Bread was 7th, and 285 Kerk was 7th. They have some potential here, but other than Kerk, none of them really underperformed, or even look to be a rising star, except perhaps Kerk. And Kerk has injury issues that are 2nd only to Spencer Lee.

On paper right now, I see it as a 2 team race w/ IOWA as a leader by double digits, but not a blowout. Obviously, a lot can happen between now and next year. tOSU might climb back into a top 5 or so program if things go right. St Eds Gallagher wrestled 160 this year. If he can go 157, that fills a hole. I'd love to see AA Smith bump to 174 (making room for Kharch at 165), Romero bump to 184, and let Jordan and Hoffman battle it out for 197.

OK, I'm out of NCAA talk for a while (probably a lie). Can't wait for the OTT.

Last edited:
Next year will be interesting. Eierman and Marinelli both have posted that they will be back. That leaves Desanto, Young and Kemmerer as the other seniors. Earlier indications were that they would be coming back. Who knows if NCAAs have changed their thoughts. I would think that Kemmerer is the most likely to return, to try to get the elusive championship. I think Young is engaged or married to T or T's daughter. So, he's probably back. Desanto is a wildcard, but he seems to have benefitted from the Iowa program and Coach Brands (even tho he still has issues). So, I think he's back as well. Spencer is a mess medically but has shown he can win without any ACLS (who needs them?). He could take a year off (hasn't used a RS yet) and have surgery, but my guess is the others all come back, Spencer will go as well. Maybe he waits until February, does a short season, and burns thru the NCAAs.

I think the cupboard is bare as far as incoming talent (recruits). Who knows what the transfer portal will bring, but there are not many places in this lineup to accommodate anyone.

So, does this lineup hold off the young and impressive PSU squad? A lot went wrong for Iowa at NCAAs - Marinelli (-18pts), Eierman and Kemmerer (-4 each after winning B10s). So, the surprisingly close 15.5 pt victory w/ just a healthy Marinelli could have been a +30 pt victory. But it wasn't. The question is, does PSU make up 16 pts on Iowa next year. And the answer lies not in the 4 champs (cna only do worse), but in their 2nd tier. 125 Howard was R16, 149 DNQ, 157 Berge MFF'ed out after a R12 finish, Joe Lee was 0-2, 197 Bread was 7th, and 285 Kerk was 7th. They have some potential here, but other than Kerk, none of them really underperformed, or even look to be a rising star, except perhaps Kerk. And Kerk has injury issues that are 2nd only to Spencer Lee.

On paper right now, I see it as a 2 team race w/ IOWA as a leader by double digits, but not a blowout. Obviously, a lot can happen between now and next year. tOSU might climb back into a top 5 or so program if things go right. St Eds Gallagher wrestled 160 this year. If he can go 157, that fills a hole. I'd love to see AA Smith bump to 174 (making room for Kharch at 165), Romero bump to 184, and let Jordan and Hoffman battle it out for 197.

Add Desanto to the list of returning seniors for Iowa.

Some fun stats I found out there.

• Carter Starocci and AJ Ferrari won titles as Freshmen in this season that eligibility doesn't count. 5x Champs?

• 8 of the 10 Junior FS World Team Members From 2019 Qualified For NCAA's. The two that didn't: Vito Arujau and Gabe Tagg.

• Six of those JR FS WTM's made All American: Yahya, Brayton, Carr, Brooks, Trent Hidlay and Mason Parris.

• Penn State went 6-0 on the final day including four as underdogs (per seeds).

• Penn State's four champions have 10 total seasons of eligibility remaining: Roman (2), Nick Lee (1), Starocci (4), Brooks (3)

• Sacred Heart has its first qualifier since 2007. In fact, they got two to the dance this year.

• Three teams qualified all 10 starters. In addition to Lehigh, Iowa and Missouri also did.

• Two teams qualified all 10 in 2020. Iowa and Nebraska. The Huskers had nine this year.

• The EIWA received 45 pre allocations from the NCAA. The tournament's entire field consisted of just 91 entries.

• There were only 2 All Americans from the EIWA.

• The EIWA led the tournament in 0-2's with 23. The next highest conference was Big 12 w/ ten.

Road Warriors (Lost First Round But AA'd):
Jaden Abas, Stanford, 149
Wyatt Sheets, Oklahoma St., 157
Jackson Turley, Rutgers, 174
Rocky Elam, Missouri, 197

Semi Slide (Made Semi's, Placed 6th)
165 - Zach Hartman, Bucknell
197 - Jake Woodley, Oklahoma

Quarterfinalist To DNP (Lost First WB Match)

25% of Quarterfinal losers lost their next bout and didn't AA
125: Schroder, Teske, Camacho
133: Phillippi, Schmitt
141: Simon, Woods, Hart
149: Murin, Andonian
157: Berge, Franek, Wright
165: Mekhi, Marinelli
174: Kaleb Romero, Andrew McNally
184: Venz
197: Norfleet
285: Laird

Some fun stats I found out there.

• 8 of the 10 Junior FS World Team Members From 2019 Qualified For NCAA's. The two that didn't: Vito Arujau and Gabe Tagg.

• Six of those JR FS WTM's made All American: Yahya, Brayton, Carr, Brooks, Trent Hidlay and Mason Parris.

Results from all eligible Junior World Team members:

Spencer Lee- 1st, 125lbs
David Carr- 1st, 157lbs
Aaron Brooks- 1st, 184lbs
Gable Steveson- 1st, 285lbs
Daton Fix- 2nd, 133lbs
Trent Hidlay- 2nd, 184lbs
Mason Parris- 2nd, 285lbs
Yahya Thomas- 3rd, 149lbs
Ryan Deakin- 3rd, 157lbs
Jacob Warner- 4th, 197lbs
Brayton Lee- 5th, 157lbs
Anthony Valencia- 8th, 165lbs
Lou DePrez- 8th, 184lbs
Dom Demas- R12
Brady Berge- R12
Mekhi Lewis- R12
Tanner Sloan- R12
Lucas Davison- R16
Zach Elam- R16
Jordan Wood- R16
Gabe Tagg- DNW

That's 13/21 that placed and 20/21 that won at least two matches. Additionally, RBY made a Cadet team and Ferrari won a Cadet world medal, without a world championships last year. Very happy that top level kids continue to wrestle freestyle and compete of the world stage, I think it might help a little when they get to NCAAs.

I think PSU can do it even if Iowa brings everyone back. A fully healthy Kerk with a year of training with Snyder/Varner etc and being healthy with 20 lbs of muscle added on is going to be major major problems for everyone not named Gable Steveson and Mason Parris. At 149 Shayne Van Ness is an absolute monster, that dude is AAing right away next year and probably pretty highly. At 165 Alex Facundo steps in and AAs as well, I don’t like him quite as much as Van Ness but he’s really really good. Between 125 and 157 one of Howard or Berge is AAing next year, maybe both.

'How Many Top 8 Seeds AA’d Per Weight

75% - 60 of 80

125: 5 of 8
133: 6 of 8

141: 6 of 8
149: 6 of 8

157: 6 of 8
165: 6 of 8

174: 6 of 8
184: 7 of 8

197: 7 of 8
285: 5 of 8

At 133 all eight All Americans came from Top 10 seeds.
At 165 and 184 all eight were Top 11.

Number of Top 4 Seeds To Make The Semi’s

72.5% - 29 of 40

125: 3 of 4 (#7-Lamont over #2-Latona)
133: 4 of 4

141: 4 of 4
149: 4 of 4

157: 4 of 4
165: 1 of 4 (Read below)

174: 2 of 4 (#12-Truax over #4-Labriola)
184: 3 of 4 (#6-Poznanski over #3-Deprez)

197: 2 of 4 (Read Below)
285: 2 of 4 (#6-Gremmel for #3-Stencel and #5-Cassioppi over #4-Schultz)

165 was the most busted up, but it still wasn’t all that crazy as all lost to the highest seed they possibly could in the quarters: Marinelli to #8-Griffith, Mekhi by default to #5-Hartman, and Valencia to #7-Smith. In fact, the big dogs held serve like no other year I’ve ever seen. The highest seed to reach a semi was #26-Jake Woodley who filled the #2-Eric Schultz void. Also at 197 was #6-Nino beating #3-Norfleet. #12-Bernie Truax who beat the 4 and 5 (Massa and Labriola), was the only other double digit seed to make a semi.'

Qualifiers That Made A World Team
Junior

2014: Anthony Valencia, ASU (9th / FS)

2015: Spencer Lee, Iowa (Gold / FS)

2016: Spencer Lee, Iowa (Gold / FS)
2016: Daton Fix, Oklahoma St. (Bronze / FS)
2016: Nick Reenan, NC State (11th / GR)
2016: Jordan Wood, Lehigh (11th / FS)

2017: Malik Heinselman, Ohio St. (7th / FS)
2017: Daton Fix, Oklahoma St. (Gold / FS)
2017: Ryan Deakin, Northwestern (Silver / FS)
2017: Cohlton Schultz, Arizona State (15th / GR)
2017: Gable Steveson, Minnesota (Gold / FS)

2018: Daton Fix, Oklahoma St. (Bronze / FS)
2018: Taylor Lamont, Utah Valley (11th / GR)
2018: Dom Demas, Oklahoma (9th / FS)
2018: Peyton Omania, Michigan St. (30th / GR)
2018: Brady Berge, Penn St. (Bronze / FS)
2018: Mehki Lewis, Virginia Tech (Gold / FS)
2018: Aaron Brooks, Penn St. (Silver / FS)
2018: Louie DePrez, Binghamton (9th / FS)
2018: Jacob Warner, Iowa (15th / FS)
2018: Zach Elam, Missouri (Silver / FS)
2018: Cohlton Schultz, Arizona State (Bronze / GR)
2018: Gable Steveson, Minnesota (8th / FS)

2019: Dylan Ragusin, Michigan (DNP / GR)
2019: Yahya Thomas, Northwestern (12th / FS)
2019: Brayton Lee, Minnesota (15th / FS)
2019: Peyton Omania, Michigan St. (Bronze / GR)
2019: David Carr, Iowa State (Gold / FS)
2019: Aaron Brooks, Penn St. (17th / FS)
2019: Zach Braunagel, Illinois (10th / GR)
2019: Trent Hidlay, NC State (Bronze / FS)
2019: Lucas Davison, Northwestern (Silver / FS)
2019: Tanner Sloan, SD State (15th / FS)
2019: Cam Caffey, Michigan St. (8th / GR)
2019: Mason Parris, Michigan (Gold / FS)
2019: Cohlton Schultz, Arizona State (Silver / GR)

I think PSU can do it even if Iowa brings everyone back. A fully healthy Kerk with a year of training with Snyder/Varner etc and being healthy with 20 lbs of muscle added on is going to be major major problems for everyone not named Gable Steveson and Mason Parris. At 149 Shayne Van Ness is an absolute monster, that dude is AAing right away next year and probably pretty highly. At 165 Alex Facundo steps in and AAs as well, I don’t like him quite as much as Van Ness but he’s really really good. Between 125 and 157 one of Howard or Berge is AAing next year, maybe both.
I think they could do it as well, but I give IOWA an early-season lead in the polls. That lead could lessen and maybe even flip as the season goes on. But I'd still call it a 2 team race, w/ either team capable of winning it all. PSU had a 12 pt lead in the early polls in the 2020 season, and heading into the NCAAs that flipped to a 50+ IOWA lead. So, things happen. PSU deteriorated in 2020 due to injuries, but that's part of the sport. Just ask Marinelli. And there's no shortage of HS superstars who disappoint in college. I'm not saying that Facundo and Van Ness will, but they wouldn't be the first.

And now you got me going back on my word saying I was finished talking about the NCAAs for a while.

Lowest Seeds To All American

#33-Wyatt Sheets, Oklahoma St., 157
#26-Jackson Turley, Rutgers, 174

#26-Jake Woodley, Oklahoma, 197
#25-Yahya Thomas, Northwestern, 149

#21-Tate Orndorff, Ohio St., 285
#19-Eric Barnett, Wisconsin, 125

#17-Killian Cardinale, West Virginia, 125
#17-Kyle Parco, Fresno St., 149

Qualifiers That Made A World Team
Junior

2014: Anthony Valencia, ASU (9th / FS)

2015: Spencer Lee, Iowa (Gold / FS)

2016: Spencer Lee, Iowa (Gold / FS)
2016: Daton Fix, Oklahoma St. (Bronze / FS)
2016: Nick Reenan, NC State (11th / GR)
2016: Jordan Wood, Lehigh (11th / FS)

2017: Malik Heinselman, Ohio St. (7th / FS)
2017: Daton Fix, Oklahoma St. (Gold / FS)
2017: Ryan Deakin, Northwestern (Silver / FS)
2017: Cohlton Schultz, Arizona State (15th / GR)
2017: Gable Steveson, Minnesota (Gold / FS)

2018: Daton Fix, Oklahoma St. (Bronze / FS)
2018: Taylor Lamont, Utah Valley (11th / GR)
2018: Dom Demas, Oklahoma (9th / FS)
2018: Peyton Omania, Michigan St. (30th / GR)
2018: Brady Berge, Penn St. (Bronze / FS)
2018: Mehki Lewis, Virginia Tech (Gold / FS)
2018: Aaron Brooks, Penn St. (Silver / FS)
2018: Louie DePrez, Binghamton (9th / FS)
2018: Jacob Warner, Iowa (15th / FS)
2018: Zach Elam, Missouri (Silver / FS)
2018: Cohlton Schultz, Arizona State (Bronze / GR)
2018: Gable Steveson, Minnesota (8th / FS)

2019: Dylan Ragusin, Michigan (DNP / GR)
2019: Yahya Thomas, Northwestern (12th / FS)
2019: Brayton Lee, Minnesota (15th / FS)
2019: Peyton Omania, Michigan St. (Bronze / GR)
2019: David Carr, Iowa State (Gold / FS)
2019: Aaron Brooks, Penn St. (17th / FS)
2019: Zach Braunagel, Illinois (10th / GR)
2019: Trent Hidlay, NC State (Bronze / FS)
2019: Lucas Davison, Northwestern (Silver / FS)
2019: Tanner Sloan, SD State (15th / FS)
2019: Cam Caffey, Michigan St. (8th / GR)
2019: Mason Parris, Michigan (Gold / FS)
2019: Cohlton Schultz, Arizona State (Silver / GR)
Lol. You have waaaay too much time on your hands...great stuff

I think they could do it as well, but I give IOWA an early-season lead in the polls. That lead could lessen and maybe even flip as the season goes on. But I'd still call it a 2 team race, w/ either team capable of winning it all. PSU had a 12 pt lead in the early polls in the 2020 season, and heading into the NCAAs that flipped to a 50+ IOWA lead. So, things happen. PSU deteriorated in 2020 due to injuries, but that's part of the sport. Just ask Marinelli. And there's no shortage of HS superstars who disappoint in college. I'm not saying that Facundo and Van Ness will, but they wouldn't be the first.

And now you got me going back on my word saying I was finished talking about the NCAAs for a while.
Look out if Penn State picks up a couple of portal guys. Do they have some incoming impact guys?

Look out if Penn State picks up a couple of portal guys. Do they have some incoming impact guys?
I mean, their lineup is going to be loaded:

125- Robbie Howard, 2-2 at NCAAs
133- RBY, National Champ
141- Nick Lee, National Champ
149- Beau Bartlett/Shayne Van Ness
157- Brady Berge/Shayne Van Ness/Beau Bartlett
165- Joe Lee
174- Carter Starocci, National Champ
184- Aaron Brooks, National Champ
197- Michael Beard, 7th
285- Greg Kerkvliet, 7th

The biggest question for next year will be which Iowa seniors decide to come back. Spencer Lee, Austin DeSanto, Jaydin Eierman, Kaleb Young, Alex Marinelli, and Michael Kemerer are all seniors but have that additional year of eligibility next year. If even half of those guys come back they are probably the favorite, especially if Abe Assad comes back healthy.

All Americans by State

Pennsylvania (17)
Spencer Lee, Iowa (125), Austin DeSanto, Iowa (133), Korbin Myers, Virginia Tech (133), Sammy Sasso, Ohio St. (149), Hayden Hidlay (157), Kaleb Young, Iowa (157), Jake Wentzel, Pitt (165), Zach Hartman, Bucknell (165), Ethan Smith, Ohio St. (165), Michael Kemerer, Iowa (174), Carter Starocci, Penn St. (174), Mikey Labriola, Nebraska (174), Trent Hidlay, NC State (184), Dakota Geer, Oklahoma St. (184), Nino Bonnacorsi, Pitt (197), Michael Beard, Penn St. (197), Jake Woodley, Oklahoma (197)

Illinois (7)
Michael McGee, Arizona St. (133), Louie Hayes, UVA (133), Dylan Duncan, Illinois (141), Austin O'Connor (149), Yahya Thomas, Northwestern (149), Jacob Warner, Iowa (197), Tony Cassioppi, Iowa (285)

Indiana (5)
Drew Hildebrandt, C. Michigan (125), Nick Lee, Penn St. (141), Chad Red, Nebraska (141), Brayton Lee, Minnesota (157), Mason Parris, Michigan (185)

California (4)
Kyle Parco, Fresno St. (149), Jaden Abas (149), Anthony Valencia, Arizona St. (165), Bernie Truax, Cal Poly (174)

Michigan (4)
Cam Amine, Michigan (165), Logan Massa, Michigan (174), Myles Amine, Michigan (197), Trent Hillger, Wissconsin (285)

Minnesota (4)
Pat McKee, Minnesota (125), Clay Carlson, SD State (141), Gable Steveson, Minnesota (285), Greg Kerkvliet, Penn St. (285)

Missouri (4)
Jaydin Eierman, Iowa (141), Brock Mauller, Missouri (149), Brit Wilson, N. Illinois (184), Rocky Elam, Missouri (197)

New Jersey (4)
Chris Cannon, Northwestern (133), Sebastian Rivera, Rutgers (141), Shane Griffith, Stanford (165), John Poznanski, Rutgers (184)

Wisconsin (4)
Eric Barnett, Wisconsin (125), Keegan O'Toole, Missouri (165), Parker Keckeisen, N. Iowa (184), Stephen Buchanan, Wyoming (197)

New York (3)
Jesse Dellavechia, Rider (157), Jacori Teemer, Arizona St. (157), Louie DePrez, Binghamton (184)

Ohio (3)
Lucas Byrd, Illinois (133), Tariq Wilson, NC State (141), David Carr, Iowa St. (157)

Oklahoma (3)
Daton Fix, Oklahoma St. (133), Boo Lewallen, Oklahoma St. (149), Wyatt Sheets, Oklahoma St. (157)

No more NCAA stats. It's Freestyle/Greco time. Olympic Team Trials Last Chance Qualifier this weekend. ?‍♂️

The biggest question for next year will be which Iowa seniors decide to come back. Spencer Lee, Austin DeSanto, Jaydin Eierman, Kaleb Young, Alex Marinelli, and Michael Kemerer are all seniors but have that additional year of eligibility next year. If even half of those guys come back they are probably the favorite, especially if Abe Assad comes back healthy.
Eierman and Marinelli have both announced they are returning. The Hawkeye faithful assume that all will be back, but that's yet to be confirmed as far as I know. And will Spencer be wrestling without knees again, or have surgery/rehab? Maybe it doesn't matter.

Last edited: