NBA thread

If OKC is really blowing it up... Westbrook to the Cavs isn’t nearly as crazy as it sounds...

Not many teams have cap space to offer like Cavs do with JR and expiring contracts... Westbrook & Love played together at UCLA... Cavs could offer young piece like Sexton and/or Zizic...

Gilbert has demonstrated he has no problem going deep into luxury tax to win. With Love and Westbrook, Cavs are a playoff team in East and definitely contender for Conference Finals.

Westbrook's contract is going to be very difficult to trade

Exactly.

Not a lot of teams are in the position to acquire Russell Westbrook, but the Cavs clearly are.

Kevin Love is 30 years old with a contract expiring in 2023. Russell Westbrook is 30 years old with a contract expiring in 2023. There’s only two moves here... You either trade Love or trade for Westbrook to recreate the 2008 duo out of UCLA. I think Gilbert is more of a win-now owner so my guess is Koby on the phone as a buyer right now.

Sexton and Zizic aren't bringing Westbrook in any event.
I'm trying to visualize how hard Sam Presti would be laughing if he seriously got a call from Koby Altman about a bountiful harvest of horrid JR and TT expiring contracts, Sexton (who overlaps with the young guard they just acquired), and a couple future 1st rounders.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Why would you want a 30 year old point guard who is going to make something like $47 million in his last year of his contract? Even with Westbrook they would only be a slightly better than average ... sorry, no thanks! Where did OKC go this year ... with PG? Why would you think he would go farther with KL? I’l Say it again, NO THANKS!

My concern about Russ is that he's an awful shooter and his game is entirely predicated on athleticism. The odds of him hitting the cliff at some point in his deal and becoming Chris Paul-esque dead value seems pretty high.

Milwaukee and Philly would still be better than the Cavs. Brooklyn as well when KD returns. This would be a 2nd round team for 2-3 years followed by a major cliff and reset.

Westbrook's contract is going to be very difficult to trade
Normally yes, but given how the landscape has changed I think they could readily move him over the summer if they want.

With the Warriors going down and the way free agency has gone, there's probably a dozen different teams that legitimately believe they have the pieces or are a piece away from contending next year. Someone (Miami, Minnesota, Detroit, Orlando) is going to convince themselves they have a legit shot with him on their roster.

I wouldn't be too surprised if OKC ends up keeping Russ and trading for Kevin Love. At that point they'd be a piece away from contending

I think resigning Love was a good decision especially with the way the NBA landscape has changed. Cavs could potentially get some good assets for him

The Lakers have one heck of a front court...…..

C-DeMarcus Cousins
F-Anthony Davis
F-Lebron James

* Even if Cousins is only 75% of what he was,that's one heck of a front court.

The Lakers have one heck of a front court...…..

C-DeMarcus Cousins
F-Anthony Davis
F-Lebron James

* Even if Cousins is only 75% of what he was,that's one heck of a front court.

And backing these guys up...……

Kuzma
McGee
Dudley
And a couple other dudes.

Summer league is usually pretty lame, but Jaxson Hayes dropped 28 points in 20 minutes in his debut tonight, including a violent PNR dunk where he pretty much murdered some poor scrub that tried to slide over and take a charge.

Steven A. had a rant on the silliness of the NBA doing away with the term "owner." I thought the change was silly too, but given Steven A's position, I now have to reconsider.

Summer league is usually pretty lame, but Jaxson Hayes dropped 28 points in 20 minutes in his debut tonight, including a violent PNR dunk where he pretty much murdered some poor scrub that tried to slide over and take a charge.

And blocked a shot with his elbow. :eek:

Nice article about why free agents don't want to go to the Lakers.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/07/06/lebron-james-lakers-nba-free-agency-kawhi-leonard-paul-george

" I think a lot of players around the league identified with Kyrie's frustrations with LeBron and would worry about that with another potential partnership with LeBron. "

You don't play with LeBron, you play for LeBron. He's not the best teammate to have. The only guy that's it's worked for is DeWayne Wade. And he was established in Miami and Pat Riley had his back.

It looks as if Miami is the lone front runner at the moment to land Westbook next season.

Miami could offer Dragic's expiring $19 mil contract, one or both of James Johnson and Kelly Olynyk who are both on two-year deals at $10-15 mil/year with the second year being a player option, and possibly other young assets like Bam Adebayo or Justice Winslow.

I believe they're tapped out on being able to offer draft picks.

It looks as if Miami is the lone front runner at the moment to land Westbook next season.

Miami could offer Dragic's expiring $19 mil contract, one or both of James Johnson and Kelly Olynyk who are both on two-year deals at $10-15 mil/year with the second year being a player option, and possibly other young assets like Bam Adebayo or Justice Winslow.

Why would you want Russ? Can you build a team around him? Obviously not. Yes, you get a great talent, but you can't get enough pieces to go around him. Russ needs to change his game some, make it more attractive to play with him.

You don't play with LeBron, you play for LeBron. He's not the best teammate to have. The only guy that's it's worked for is DeWayne Wade. And he was established in Miami and Pat Riley had his back.

If LeBron decides to play more like Magic did, and learns to just play his age all season and turn it up at playoff time, he really is capable of making everyone better.

But can he ignore the media in LA and national NBA commentators and just be the best version of LBJ for the team that gets assembled ? Or will he trip over his own ego again ?

Why would you want Russ? Can you build a team around him? Obviously not. Yes, you get a great talent, but you can't get enough pieces to go around him. Russ needs to change his game some, make it more attractive to play with him.

3 words- butts in seats.

Since OKC owns a lottery protected future first round pick from Miami, I think one thing Miami could offer would be to remove the lottery protections

If LeBron decides to play more like Magic did, and learns to just play his age all season and turn it up at playoff time, he really is capable of making everyone better.

But can he ignore the media in LA and national NBA commentators and just be the best version of LBJ for the team that gets assembled ? Or will he trip over his own ego again ?

LeBron can't check his ego. He decides how much he plays, he decides who plays and how the team is run. That's ok if your winning, but if you're not, it fractures the team.
Biggest issue for the Lakers this coming season is how and when LeBron and AD's "load management" games happen. Do they happen together, do they split them? What if teams really start to go after LeBron defensively and he just can't do it? Is he able to check down and take the weakest offensive player on the other team?
The Lakers have done a decent job of grabbing up the leftover free agents, but are they going to be any better than a bunch of NBA journeymen and a .500 team?

If I'm OKC, I'm asking for Dragic, James Johnson and Bam with a first round pick, the elimination of the protection on the one first round pick they're already owed, and a pick swap at some point down the road. If Miami really wants Westbrook they'd do that.

For OKC Dragic is worth either $20 million in savings after this year or 1-2 draft assets for eating an equal contract at the deadline.