NBA thread

14Red

So now that LeBron is gone, I'm sure the banter on the pro hoops thread will be diminished greatly.

So let's get this started. Who do you like for 2018-19? I'm a Sixers fan and am ready, for once, to get the season started!! Simmons/ Embiid and Foltz will make up a great core for years to come. JJ Redick, Dario Saric, Amir Johnson, Robert Covington and TJ McConnell will add to this mix and make the Sixers contenders in the east. Losing Marco Bellanelli and Ersan Illysovia will hurt, but I think this team can be more athletic with Fultz coming on strong after a disappointing rookie campaign.

Celtics appear to be the team to beat. Raptors will be right there and I'm not saying the Cavs will be 3rd, but I look for them to be better than anticipated. You're going to see some young guys, plus a rejuvenated Kevin Love have a great season.

I'll be following the Knicks and to a lesser extent the Lakers. Wouldn't consider myself a real fan of either team (or any NBA team).

There is optimism about the Knicks' rookies this season but ultimately the team is expected to struggle with Porzingis still hurt.

Looks like James Borrego, the Hornets new head coach and a Pop disciple, has had some success with moving Michael Kidd Gilcrest into a Draymond Green-esque small ball 5 role. Since Draymond and MKG are such similar body types, MKG has struggled greatly as a wing, and given Draymond's success at that role since the end of his rookie year I'm surprised neither Dunlap nor Clifford tried moving him there. Love that more and more of the NBA is moving away from traditional positions and putting their best 5 on the floor.

Well, the Bucks have thrown their names in as an official contender. They went into Oracle arena and spanked the Warriors last night.

Jimmy to the 76ers for Saric, Covington, Bayless and a 2nd rd pick in 2020

76ers also get Justin Patton

If I’m a Wolves fan I’d rather have four first round picks from Houston, but the coach is also the GM and he thinks short term, understandably

Yeah but I thought I read somewhere that they may not be eligible to receive them bc of protections and rules against trading first rounders in back to back years.

Yeah but I thought I read somewhere that they may not be eligible to receive them bc of protections and rules against trading first rounders in back to back years.

That means the first round picks would be spread out to every other year, which ultimately is better for Minnesota IMO because it’s greater chance that Houston is bad by then

Jimmy to the 76ers for Saric, Covington, Bayless and a 2nd rd pick in 2020

76ers also get Justin Patton

I am so stoked that the Sixers got the Butler deal done. This gives Philly a legit 3 position player and a great running mate for Embiid. We can't have Joel playing 35-40 minutes a night, and needing to score 30+ for us to win. Butler can defend AND score. Hopefully we can keep his head on straight, add a few pieces and push Boston and Toronto for the tops in the East.

Covington and Saric is hard to give up, but Cov is just so streaky and his defense wasn't great vs. Boston last year in the playoffs. Saric really struggled with wide open 3's this season, and we need a guy who can make that shot with the floor spacers we have. Word is the Sixers are looking at bringing in Kyle Korver.