NBA plans to continue not testing for marijuana during 2020-21 season

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
The NBA will not test its players for marijuana in the 2020-21 season, per Ben Dowsett, the same policy adopted by the league for the bubble in Orlando.

In March, Yahoo Sports’ Chris Haynes reported that the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) reached an agreement to halt drug testing during the hiatus.

The agreement was only temporary at the time, as the league was looking to limit both close-contact situations and help mitigate stress levels during the extended quarantine and high-stress bubble experience.

Why test, in the past if anyone tested positive they did nothing anyway. Why drug test at all, these things have been in place for decades and guys still do it. If guys don't know the effects of addiction by now, they aren't ever going to get it.

Why test, in the past if anyone tested positive they did nothing anyway. Why drug test at all, these things have been in place for decades and guys still do it. If guys don't know the effects of addiction by now, they aren't ever going to get it.
The vast majority of people who use drugs never become addicted. You've been lied to.

Perhaps, but it's not all that different from harder drugs. Whether it's marijuana or heroine, the addiction rate usually falls between about 10-15% for those who use it. At least according to the sources I've seen.
Weed isn’t a bad addiction like heroin, food, cigs, and alcohol

The vast majority of people who use drugs never become addicted. You've been lied to.
The vast majority of people don't die not wearing seat belts in accidents, yet it's still a law. Why ingest drugs when there's so little positive from it, and there's so many negatives?? Do heroin addicts start with heroin? Nope. I've not been lied to, this is my own observation. And as you can guess, I've never taken or even tried illegal drugs. To me it simply isn't worth the risk.

And to this thread's topic, this again paints the NBA in a negative light. They don't need negative anymore, they've got a couple of years worth of negative publicity to try to overcome.

Half the country will tell you if you test for marijuana your a racist and pencil neck geek Adam Silver will do whatever LeBron tells him to do.

The reason Weed is illegal in the US - Harry Anslinger

How a racist hate-monger masterminded America’s War on Drugs
Harry Anslinger conflated drug use, race, and music to criminalize non-whiteness and create a prison-industrial complex

Who cares if the NBA tests for weed or not. They test for the hard stuff. No more Lewis Lloyd's, Michael Ray Richardsons, John Lucas, etc anymore. As long as we don't have strung out ballers like those anymore I'm good.
Their union can negotiate with the NBA just like any other employee/employer in the USA