NATIONAL TRAIL

XCFan98

What do we know about National Trail this week? What course are they using? How much will they Christmas display impact things etc. What steps are being taken to remedy the problems of last year?

What do we know about National Trail this week? What course are they using? How much will they Christmas display impact things etc. What steps are being taken to remedy the problems of last year?

They are praying to every known god that it doesn't rain as much as last year.

I'm pretty sure it will be the course that was used for the pre-season meet and the one that was eventually used for the state meet last year. The issue with the original course is that the field that abuts National Road/Rt 40 is too prone too flooding if there is a lot of rain during the week.

I love the new course. For many reasons:
(1) The coaches can view the entire course except for the woods
(2) Coaches can coach on the course more- the gated portion was not good.
(3) The new course is faster- could be if the weather and footing is agreeable.
(4) Easier for spectators- 2 loops...
(5) You are in the woods
(6) You hit the hills twice before the woods

"Mama, what's vacation?".... "It's when you go away...and you ain't never comin back"
- mama always had a way of saying things so I could understand them.

I thought they eliminated that part of the course because of parking.
While that part of the course is now parking, I believe that the original reason that it was eliminated was because of how much water that part of the course holds. After all of the rain last year, and the postponement of the meet, the course was modified.

The course will be soft next Saturday. The Wed forecast in Hebron is for around ½" of rain and the Thurs forecast is for around 1". Parking will seemingly be an issue in that field.

No that portion of the course was eliminated because national trail sold the land across the street that was parking and they changed that area to parking. The new area they bought to replace was to be the course but it held water and could not be run so the current course was created on friday morning before the state meet (moved date) last year.

Just saw an updated weather forecast. 2-3” on Wednesday and Thursday.

Will National Trail drain enough before Saturday if we get that much rain?

Just saw an updated weather forecast. 2-3” on Wednesday and Thursday.

Will National Trail drain enough before Saturday if we get that much rain?
Either start building the Ark, or book your hotel for next weekend. ;)

The forecast I saw said 1/4" on Wed. night and possibly another 1" on Thurs. Rain was supposed to start on Wed. afternoon, but it didn't predict a significant amount prior to nightfall. That would make it muddy but shouldn't flood the entire place.

Oh man. Woodridge loves mud.
Woodridge boys might 15 the state meet if it's ankle-deep mud.

Last edited:
Here's the weather.gov forecast. They are usually the most accurate when determining rain totals. It looks like they project the rain to fall mostly on Wednesday night and all day Thursday.

It looks like last year weather all over again.

It looks like last year weather all over again.

Last year had seemingly non-stop rain all fall. The ground was really saturated then we got a few more inches the week of the meet. I don't think the forecasted amounts of rain will cause any major problems and nothing like last year.

I pray your right. Waiting another week sucked last year.

I looked at the rain total last year on the archived climate data on that Thursday on the National Weather Service and it was 1.8" but it could of been more because that total was taken in Columbus. (I sound like such a nerd)

Does anyone know the current ground conditions at the site? It rained alot on Saturday.

Does anyone know the current ground conditions at the site? It rained alot on Saturday.

I do not know NT conditions. I live in east central ohio and the trails I jog were very dry this morning. At this time last year prior to the rain the week of the state meet I had to move to concrete because there was standing water everywhere and small creeks were 18 inches or more deep. Normally they are 2-3 inches.

The 1.8" last year came on top of many prior inches of rain.

If that much rain falls, I might be more concerned about what damage could be done to OSU's golf course when the Big 10 Meet is held there on Sunday.