National HS rankings

OCEagle

Just looked at the HS rankings put out by Trackwrestling. It is not looking good for Ohio HS talent. I don't know if Flo has different rankings, but the drop in the numbers for Ohio wrestling is notable. It is easy to show those ranked from Ohio - there are not that many:

106 - #5 Beric Jordan, Fr; (SPG) #13 Dillon Campbell Fr. (Legacy Christian)
113 - none
120 - none
126 - none
132 - none
138 - #11 Nick Moore, Sr. (SPG)
145 - #4 Alek Martin, Sr (SPG); #12 Gavin Brown, Jr. (Legacy Christian)
152 - #2 Victor Voinovich Sr. (Brecksville);
160 - #1 Padraig Gallagher, Sr. (LStEd); #4 Derek Fields, Sr. (Brunswick); #8 Enrigue Munguia, Sr. (Elyria); #14 Brody Conley, Jr. (Tiffin Col.)
170 - #13 Logan Messer, Sr. (Wadsworth); #14 Luke Geog, Jr. (LStEd); #15 Dillon Walker, Sr. (LaSalle)
182 - #13 Dylan Fishback, Jr. (Aurora); #16 Sal Perrine, Sr. (Nordonia); #17 Jake Evans, Sr. (Elyria); #20 Hudson Hightower, Sr. (LStEd)
195 - #7 Seth Shumate, Jr. (Dublin Coff.)
220 - #8 Ben Vanadia Sr. (Brecksville)
285 - none

So that is 20 in total out of 280 spots listed - about 7% of all wrestlers. 5 weight classes with no one listed.

I went back and counted the numbers from Pa. By weight class:
106 - 3 including #1
113 - 1 (listed at #15)
120 - 7 (including #5,6,7,8,10)
126 - 2
132 - 4 (including #1 and #2, both Jrs.) #1 is from Florida but attending Wyoming Seminary (Bouzakis)
138 - 2
145 - 3 (including #2 and #3)
152 - 3
160 - 4
170 - 3
182 - 6 (including #1, #2, #3, #5, #7)
195 - 5
220 - 4 (including #1, #3)
285 - 3

So that's a total of 50 out of 280, or about 18% of the total and at least 1 wrestler in every weight class.

I find myself looking for something, then next thing I know - I'm compiling lists...

Do you believe Rankings for Ohio wrestlers were hurt by the lack of a State Tournament last year?
Possibly. Noticed Michigan had a fair number of ranked wrestlers - more than usual. Both they and Pa. held their state tourneys. Don't know about other states like Illinois and Iowa.

Lack of State tournament hurt for sure and if individuals didn't have any national wins prior to 2020 then they had less opportunities to put their names on the map in the offseason or at Ironman, Beast, Brecksville, Powerade this year

Last edited:
Possibly. Noticed Michigan had a fair number of ranked wrestlers - more than usual. Both they and Pa. held their state tourneys. Don't know about other states like Illinois and Iowa.
Ohio was the ONLY state to not have its state tourney last year. Huge bummer.

This will certainly draw a lot of ire—but I gotta be honest...to my eye Ohio kids had a rough go in the big preseason national events. Michigan seemed to do much better than usual. I’m not happy to report it—but just being honest.

As the post above me notes, Ohio kids had a very poor performance across the preseason national tournaments.

This will certainly draw a lot of ire—but I gotta be honest...to my eye Ohio kids had a rough go in the big preseason national events. Michigan seemed to do much better than usual. I’m not happy to report it—but just being honest.
Agreed. Georgia too.

I think you have to take these lists with a grain of salt, too. If you took all the kids at Blair, SEM, etc, and placed them in the state they’re from, it would not look quite as bad.

Cernus, Lillard, Craft, Donahue immediately come to mind from Ohio. I am sure there are plenty of others.

The bottom line is the wrestling is getting much better across the country, but a lot of the really elite kids are concentrating in a handful of private schools, thereby skewing the numbers a bit.

Lillard isn't from Ohio, though he attended St Ed's as a freshman and Aurora as a sophomore.
Lillard IS from Ohio. We (I'm his mother) moved to Ohio (Lakewood) in August 2018 - so Tyler has ONLY wrestled in Ohio officially in high school - until we recently relocated to PA.

Could he be back in Ohio next year ?
Make it a different singlet for each year of high school..
Smiley2424 - wouldn't you like to know? LOL. Funny thing is Ohio would take him back in a heartbeat - you know for the rankings and all (SMH).

And maybe he will go to another high school....although this Sem thing is working out (keep your singlets Boo). But I'll let you claim him.....

Wo

Just look at the FACTS, which you have obviously overlooked to conform your bias.
1. Tyler is a great wrestler. Like very good, he would have been a finalist had the state tournament happened last year. This is not disputed
2. You mentioned earlier you are from Ohio, but you aren't really from Ohio, it's just a stop on your journey. You moved to Ohio (Lakewood as you say) in 2018, but you're previously from Georgia.
3. Tyler won a GISA high school state title in Georgia, shows he really isn't from Ohio.
4. Tyler has attended a different school, in 3 different states, each of the past 4 years. Obviously this isn't his choice, so it must be driven by a parent. But looking at the schools something must be amiss (2 perennial top 10 schools nationally and aurora).
5. Great thing sem is working out this year because a program like that isn't satisfied with what they have. They are always looking to improve.

Smiley2424 - Honey, you seem a little obsessed with my son (and I). I suggest you back off - you sound creepy as hell. Like I said, HS is 9th - 12th grade (so now you guys want to count his 8th grade HS state title - GTFOH). Remember, when he AAs at the NCAAs, the won't count GISA ---- And your "facts" are a bit off. Tyler was invited - nah, recruited, to Lakewood BECAUSE he is a great (you said it right first) wrestler. He came in nearly toe to toe with St. Eds current wrestlers (yeah, I said it - he lost his second - only given 2 wrestle off to the top wrestler in the St. Eds room and the country 8-10 and was not granted a second wrestle off). On top of that, he was taunted and down right harassed and racially mistreated (and I know you don't want to go there, but push me and we will....) by his St. Eds teammates. Hell, the even told him that his "black people's deodorant was too stinky" and made him sleep outside in the hallway - oh yes, we call that hazing where I'm from. They talked about his mother (derogatory things and totally inappropriate for a "top team" AND one of their wrestlers put a picture of him in black face and with watermelon and chicken around it and put that on Snapchat. So, yes, my son and I made the decision to stay in Ohio and go to a top school with fabulous coaches and program with our club coach, Aurora and Arsenal. Because there was no way in HELL St. Edward HS (who didn't fully punish the kids involved until I pushed it) deserved the recognition of my son's name - now or later. When he became a Fargo AA, we didn't even want Eds to get that recognition. Now, all you guys can associate and affiliate with that program if you want to, but we didn't (I think it was the the spray painting of the full N-word [rhymes with trigger] on my home).

As far as Aurora goes, we would have never left if COVID didn't hit. We were far from family and quarantined. And since Sem and us had been in contact since before August 2018, we took a chance. Aurora will ALWAYS be our home (since you are so worried about my home. We are Greenmen for life.

NOW, here is the fun part - I love how you left some of your details out so I needed to fill in the blanks for you and the people in the back. And the college coaches calling him don't care. And the most important part, his GPA never waivered ;) and he could graduate after the end of this year if he wanted to (he went to summer school and online classes too - I guess his "driven parent" made a good choice.

Trust me, Sem is very satisfied with Tyler Lillard and his mother (I'm a Physics/Chemistry/Math teacher here (check the website and my resume)- you better recognize and put some respect on his name. #yeahIsaidit

Finally, we live in a very sad world where Dad's can take there kids in and out of schools, take their kids all over the country, but when a mom does it, it is ridiculed. Let me clarify, unless you are donating to the "Tyler Lillard" fund, quit worrying about his high school career. #goharasssomeoneelse #Ivegotalldaythough #quithidingbehindascreenname

Mrs Lilliard, Good on you for raising a great young man and giving him opportunities to develop and showcase his talents. I know you know this, but keyboard warriors hiding behind a screen name do not matter. Simply put, they are idiots, and by the way, what a ridiculous thing to debate about anyway- what state someone is “from”. None of it matters, what does matter is your kids future and and he have set him up for great future success. athletically and academically. Cheers to you!

Mrs Lilliard, Good on you for raising a great young man and giving him opportunities to develop and showcase his talents. I know you know this, but keyboard warriors hiding behind a screen name do not matter. Simply put, they are idiots, and by the way, what a ridiculous thing to debate about anyway- what state someone is “from”. None of it matters, what does matter is your kids future and and he have set him up for great future success. athletically and academically. Cheers to you!
LucMurphy134 - Thank you for the kind words of encouragement and support. I do agree with you, and as I stated the obsession with my son's stats and background kind of creeps me out (what that poster wrote is beyond wrestling stats). I also stand by until someone is financially or emotionally contributing to my son's successes and/or failures, the term "kick rocks" comes to mind. LOL. In all seriousness, most people who know me know I am pretty easy going until you mess with, talk about, or discuss my son. I didn't see these people commenting on the Ferrari young man when they went to different schools in the same year (for whatever reason - those guys are friends of ours, so yeah I can say that). I can name countless of athletes that went a non-traditional route. And while I don't owe anyone our story, trust me, I'll ALWAYS be the one to tell it - the right way.

Many blessings to you and yours. Good luck and stay safe.

OCEagle - I don't know what your comment means, but I damn sure know where he is from - I'm his mother. #Ohiofolksarecrazy
It was tongue in cheek sarcasm. I read the prior post where you indicated who you were. That's why I added the "lol" to the comment. Once again proving that written messages don't carry a tone with them and are often misconstrued as something else. Reading it again, I can see how it would have been confusing to you and taken the wrong way.

All I know is that It was awesome coaching and working with the Lillards. Big things coming form that young man. His mom was awesome because she called a spade a spade and I loved it. They will always be part of the Greenmen family. Great people