National HS Club Tournament

ELKSONE

#EPND
One Ohio team called The Ville. Anyone heard of them or this tournament?
Screenshot_20230315_205632_Twitter.jpg

Too funny, I had no idea! How are they permitted to play in this tournament? Seems like OHSAA has some very strick rules on how many games you can play etc.

Too funny, I had no idea! How are they permitted to play in this tournament? Seems like OHSAA has some very strick rules on how many games you can play etc.
Yeah, there must be some sort of provision to allow them to play in this. Do it kinda like ACME but with basketball?

Name change means they are going as a club team not school related. Most likely fundraisers/ donors footed the bill

From the NBPA website...

*Some participating programs have opted to play as designated club programs. Though they are playing under their club program name, the players are all students at the same high school.

"The games will be showcased by FOX Sports across FOX, FS1, FOXSports.com and the FOX Sports App as well as NBA TV and the NBA App. The Championship game on Saturday, April 1 will air on the FOX broadcast network, the first-time high school basketball will air on a broadcast network in over twenty years. This will also be the first time that NBA TV will be broadcasting high school basketball live."

OHSAA has a dead period 30 days after your last game where coaches can't do any basketball related stuff with their kids. Also, this is billed as a "club" tournament so wouldn't it be non-interscholastic which would mean only three Centerville kids can be on the team? So many questions.....

OHSAA has a dead period 30 days after your last game where coaches can't do any basketball related stuff with their kids. Also, this is billed as a "club" tournament so wouldn't it be non-interscholastic which would mean only three Centerville kids can be on the team? So many questions.....
Is anybody sure it's the Centerville varsity team intact? Might just be seniors with some other area seniors. Maybe just wait and see.

I thought after a team's season is over the seniors are "free agents" to do as they want.. All they would lose is eligibility for any spring sports had they been so inclined to participate.

Is anybody sure it's the Centerville varsity team intact? Might just be seniors with some other area seniors. Maybe just wait and see.
If seniors are "free agents" as mentioned, maybe The Ville club team will consist of the 5 or 6 seniors with 3 underclassmen teammates if that is allowed by OHSAA.

I thought after a team's season is over the seniors are "free agents" to do as they want.. All they would lose is eligibility for any spring sports had they been so inclined to participate.
There are a few teams listed that have kids from other schools on the roster. This appears to be glorified AAU.

If seniors are "free agents" as mentioned, maybe The Ville club team will consist of the 5 or 6 seniors with 3 underclassmen teammates if that is allowed by OHSAA.
If the underclassmen want to give up their eligibility for next season(s). Just in case you don't get it, they would be giving up their eligibility
for all OHSAA sports forever.

If the underclassmen want to give up their eligibility for next season(s). Just in case you don't get it, they would be giving up their eligibility
for all OHSAA sports forever.
Follow me here:

Nobody from the Centerville staff coaches
The Seniors play
No more than three underclassmen play

This would be no different than an all-star game or AAU tournament.

Follow me here:

The Seniors play

You might be right, I combed through the OHSAA bylaws and can't find anything that directly addresses that situation.

Last edited:
Maybe The Ville is reserved for whichever team most recently won a state title in that particular sport?

Well rumor around the arena Saturday was that was Cupps coach and player last game at Centerville so would that make him allowed to coach?

Well rumor around the arena Saturday was that was Cupps coach and player last game at Centerville so would that make him allowed to coach?
Been the rumor all season, could definitely coach the seniors, not sure how that would impact coaching the underclassmen. There could still be 3 max.

Follow me here:

The Seniors play

Two out of three confirmed by the AD, but I think I was off on the third one. Cupps would be allowed to coach an AAU team with three Centerville kids, so he can probably coach this team.

Two out of three confirmed by the AD, but I think I was off on the third one. Cupps would be allowed to coach an AAU team with three Centerville kids, so he can probably coach this team.
What about the mandatory "no-contact" 28-day period for coaches after the last game? Would coaching this game fall under an exception?