My new favorite HS wrestler

TheFan1

I'm far from a fan of Iowa wrestling, but now I'm a huge fan of Drake Ayala. I don't know if you saw the story a couple weeks ago, but being #1 in the country at 126 and pretty high P4P, he bumped to 132 for a tourney knowing super soph Ryder Block was going to be there. Citing that it's not about wins and losses this year, but to get better and prepare for the next level. They met in the finals and he lost. First time in a long time. Wrestled 126 last weekend and dominated. This weekend was the start of their state series. Drake decided to put his 4th state title on the line and weighed in at 132.
FB_IMG_1613238230431.jpg

Something to think about when the annual "easiest path" conversations start up in a couple weeks

Last edited:

It's a risky move. He should be able to flip that loss to Block anyway.

I can think of one weight in Ohio where there's a lot of stubborn people right now, and it would behoove one or both of the stubborn people to move.

I can think of one weight in Ohio where there's a lot of stubborn people right now, and it would behoove one or both of the stubborn people to move.

If (when) they make the state finals I'll pay for it if it's an option. Win or lose either way, it will be a springboard to both of their careers.

Wow bucks.... I very rarely disagree with you, and respect your knowledge of wrestling, but you having never had your hand raised after the work put in shows. "Stubborn"??? I guess you missed my easiest path part of comment. I guess Ayala is stubborn too. Any kid being stubborn wanting to beat the best to be the best, I want on my team. I'll take a runner up or 3rd all day on my team over a kid that "moved" because of fear they might have a rough road to the top. Stubborn.... Ugh

Didnt read up on this but I hope the kid that was 32 can go to 26 or has a spot on the team.
Bucksman seldom minces words and that upsets people.

Didnt read up on this but I hope the kid that was 32 can go to 26 or has a spot on the team.
Bucksman seldom minces words and that upsets people.
I saw others inquire on another site about the same. I gather (take it as hearsay) the 32 can, and would be 26 if drake not there. So he probably welcomes the move.

Not mincing words is part of why I like Bucksman, and far from has ever upset me. It being risky, of course. Being stubborn (and yes I pick up on what he's talking about, or have a couple guesses) is maybe just a poor choice of verbiage. Not taking the easier road to the top isn't being stubborn. I now see why Louden Swain never cracked into the Intermat rankings :unsure:?

Maybe those two are not stubborn. Maybe they want to challenge themselves. They want beat the best and not run up or down a weight class to get a title. These 3 kids are not only preparing themselves for a state title but they’re preparing themselves to become a NCAA champ and All-American. Paddy, Enrique, and Derek go put on a show and best of luck to you three.

I agree with both sides of the coin here. Being a 4 timer may not be as important to others. I think Desanto dropping a weight class in high school to wrestle Spencer lee is gonna live on for a very long time. The fact that the match has millions of views on youtube may have a big factor as to why they would want the blockbuster state final.

Just a correction from original post.... Ayala not going for 4th, was runner up as a freshman (what a scrub lol) won 113 consecutive matches up until loss to Block. Not including super 32 and flo's WNO.... This weekend final (barring something happens) should be great

Looks like they are starting at 106 if it goes by what is on track right now. I'll be watching.

Ayala wins 11-3, four takedowns to none. Complete dominance.
It worked out for him, as I thought it would/should, even though I thought it was a needless risk.

Other than his choice of higher learning.... Hard not no like this kid. Adjustments made were very apparent and that's what separates the elite. He knew he couldn't lose if was never underneath Ryder, so he made sure he never was. Great attitude, pretty chill after a huge win.
"Drake Ayala caps a magical high school career with a 3A title at 132 pounds" https://www.desmoinesregister.com/v...-school-career-3-title-132-pounds/4529907001/