My coach interviews

LICKING COUNTY FAN

I did this a year or two back and it was fun.
I have interviewed 10 coach's and as I did the last time I will post the questions and their responses word for word as they respond.
All coaches no where the results are being posted and knew so before they answered.

Here is the first interview

Coach's Name- Chris Mobley Position- Head Coach School- Hughes
1) What is the most gratifying thing you get from coaching? Turning athletes into good solid young men on and off the field.

2)As a coach and/or player What was your biggest win? Our win vs Aiken this past season. It was our first time beating them since I have been here.

3)What is the hardest offense to prepare for? Spread w/RPO action

4)Do you thing open enrollment and/pr the competitive balance has helped or hinder the sport? With how much transferring and recruiting that goes on it doesn't matter what system you have in place. We have a 25-30 man roster but we are D3 and would face teams with 50-70 man rosters in the playoffs.

5)Who has been the best player you have faced as a player or coach? As a player Javon Ringer, as a Coach Kayvon Britton from West Hi

6)What would you change about the playoffs and the state final game? I wouldn't change the playoff format but would love to see the final games in Columbus.

7)How do you feel about playing out of state opponents? No issue with it but I think teams should prioritize in state games before looking out of state.

8)As fans we often look at a match up and say there is no chance for this team to beat that team. If this holds true for coach's. How do you prepare your team for a game you know/think you can't win? We prepare for every game the same and expect to win.

9) Who is the one coach you most enjoy coaching against and beating? Armand Tatum at West Hi is a great guy. Also the first game of my career was vs Pete Hollon at Paint Valley, hes a class act also.

(Coach Mobley knows I am friends with Coach Hollon from Paint Valley)

10) If you were not coaching football what other sport could you coach? I probably would not be coaching anything haha.... Possibly basketball, I enjoy watching and playing it in my free time.

Last edited:

Coach's Name Curtis Moody Jr
Position
School

1) What is the most gratifying thing you get from coaching?I love seeing players be successful in life and push through adversity

2)As a coach and/or player What was your biggest win? beating licking valley to play for a state championship

3)What is the hardest offense to prepare for?wing T

4)Do you thing open enrollment and/pr the competitive balance has helped or hinder the sport? I am not really sure but I wish open enrollment was available at our school

5)Who has been the best player you have faced as a player or coach? Malik Harrison as a coach

6)What would you change about the playoffs and the state final game? make it easier to view on local tv

7)How do you feel about playing out of state opponents? I don’t mind it to me it means that we are a very good program to play out of state opponents

8)As fans we often look at a match up and say there is no chance for this team to beat that team.
If this holds true for coach's.
How do you prepare your team for a game you know/think you can't win? you feel that way but if you come off that way they play that way but if you believe that you are going to win and inspire them in practice and in the game the more likely you upset teams and we have upset allot of teams especially when I thought we were going to lose but just believing and putting in the work and a good game plan

9) Who is the one coach you most enjoy coaching against and beating? I have to say walnut ridge in a rivalry game you never know who is going to win

10) If you were not coaching football what other sport could you coach? I be coaching track and maybe basketball

Coach's Name Harlee Estepp
Position Wide Receivers/Defensive Backs Coach
School West Carter High School in Kentucky

1) What is the most gratifying thing you get from coaching?
I believe the most gratifying thing I get from coaching is seeing a player finally get something that they’ve been working hard to achieve but struggled with. Seeing them finally get over the hump is awesome.

2)As a coach and/or player
What was your biggest win?
District Championship win over Shelby Valley this year. I’ve only coached four years, I’m just 23 so hopefully many more to come.

3)What is the hardest offense to prepare for?
Not really a scheme, but the hardest offense to prepare for is one that executes well, doesn’t make mistakes, and has answers. If I had to say a scheme, a team that can RPO is tough.

4)Do you thing open enrollment and/pr the competitive balance has helped or hinder the sport?
Doesn’t really bother me. Don’t think it’s helped the sport, but I don’t think it’s hurt it either. At least in my experience.

5)Who has been the best player you have faced as a player or coach?
Cameron Hergott- Beechwood QB. Accurate ball, can kill you with his legs.

6)What would you change about the playoffs and the state final game?
I’d have sister districts for your “region” ex- District 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8. The best teams will emerge either way, but I like that better than playing your same district the first two rounds after playing them the weeks before. A neutral site semifinals would be cool as well.

7)How do you feel about playing out of state opponents?
Whatever helps our team get better. If a tough out of state opponent could make us better, then I’d be all for it.

8)As fans we often look at a match up and say there is no chance for this team to beat that team.
How do you prepare your team for a game you know/think you can't win?
I’ve yet to coach against a team I didn’t think we could beat, but in a situation like that it really comes down to getting your players ready for the challenge. Anything can happen on a football field.

9) Who is the one coach you most enjoy coaching against and beating?
Honestly, nobody specifically. No personal negativity towards any coach or school.

10) If you were not coaching football what other sport could you coach?
believe I could coach baseball right now. Anyone can coach anything though, just have to be willing to put in the time and effort. Coaches are teachers, you can learn any subject.

Brian Cooper Defensive Coordinator Paint Valley 1) What is the most gratifying thing you get from coaching? Watching players achieve success, while playing at a high level

2)As a coach and/or player What was your biggest win? 2015 Newark Catholic

3)What is the hardest offense to prepare for? RPO, any offense that executes to perfection

4)Do you thing open enrollment and/or competitive balance has helped or hinder the sport? Doesn’t really effect our numbers much

5)Who has been the best player you have faced as a player or coach? Lane Ruby

6)What would you change about the playoffs and the state final game? Nothing

7)How do you feel about playing out of state opponents? Allows players a special experience

8)As fans we often look at a match up and say there is no chance for this team to beat that team. If this holds true for coach's. How do you prepare your team for a game you know/think you can't win? Prepare the same as every game

9) Who is the one coach you most enjoy coaching against and beating? Huntington, rivalry game

10) If you were not coaching football what other sport could you coach? Baseball

Coach Rodger Horton Cincinnati Hughes high school Associate head coach (RB, LB, special
teams) I have been coaching for 17 years (8 years varsity, 9 years Jr. High)

1. The most gratifying thing for me as a coach is to watch a player grow in ability, and
adapt to an established culture for 4 years. In return for me coaching him up he know
has the ability to use what I taught him on the field to use football to change his life
situation. Regardless if it is continuing his playing career, going to school, or entering the
work-force.

2)As a coach and/or player What was your biggest win?
2. Believe it or not I’m still looking for my biggest win. It has eluded me over my coaching
career. Our program is working hard toward establishing longevity as a program to check
for and we cannot achieve this until we beat a CMAC league rival. The saying is “Iron
sharpens iron” and we cannot measure ourselves against the upper echelon of the
league until this goal is achieved.

3-What is the hardest offense to prepare for?
This is an easy one. I highly respect what Coach Earl White does. I think he is a
mastermind when it comes to his design and execution of the triple option. At every stop
he has made he has put his stamp and molded the athletes to his liking. His physical
players and use of the FB and QB leave you with many sleepless nights

4-Do you thing open enrollment and/or competitive balance has helped or hinder the sport?
Being that I currently Coach at an urban public school, I am aware of competing balance.
Have I let it affect my coaching methods or preparation for games, no. I’ve always been
of the mindset to coach up the young men in your school and encourage those in your
building to come out and play

5-Who has been the best player you have faced as a player or coach?
Three years ago Dayton Dunbar had a running back named Tavion Thomas. He looked
the part and played the part. As a back he had great vision and he displayed an
incredible speed to power ratio. He could run over you or away from you. Even as a high
school player you knew he could play at the D-1 level.

6-What would you change about the playoffs and the state final game?
The state playoff game should rotate between Cincinnati Columbus and Stark County.
The atmosphere for high school football is infectious in Southwest Ohio. We would
certainly pack the house to support the teams that were playing. I just think it is more
equitable if you rotate the site. I wouldn’t be upset if we increased 10 teams instead of 8

7-How do you feel about playing out of state opponents?
As we continue to build the depth of our program I think we would be open to playing an
out of state opponent. It would have to be the right fit (i.e. the right division or class). In
the past at my former school we have traveled a hour in state to take on opponent.
There is some great football being played in a 5 state radius why not take the trip to see
how you measure up, get to see close up what type of football is being played in the
surrounding areas

8-As fans we often look at a match up and say there is no chance for this team to beat that team. If this holds true for coach's. How do you prepare your team for a game you know/think you can't win?
As I sit down to prepare each week I keep in mind that our team has a “junkyard dog”
mentality. Meaning nothing will be given to us. We have to create opportunities in a
game to give us an edge on opponents. As you game plan you have to have the mindset
of how your players can apply their skill set to create on field success. Sure the “Jimmies
and the Joes” theory is in the back of your head, but as a coach you drill and practice
situations where your players can use their ability and intelligence to create success and
hope that will transfer to the game Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night. Even if you don’t
win the game you seize the opportunity to learn from your mistakes and improve on your
shortcomings. You never decline to play an opponent that you reasonably match up
against. You use it as a tool to measure the growth and development of your program.

9-Who is the one coach you most enjoy coaching against and beating?
I don’t have a favorite coach to coach against. I enjoy being well prepared so that I do
not panic or cringe in tense situations. Studying tendencies and decisions of opponent
coaches help me gain confidence that I can defeat an opponent. I watch a lot film to
gain an edge on my opponent. These are things I do not take for granted

10-If you were not coaching football what other sport could you coach?
I previously coached girls softball at Walnut Hills in Cincinnati for 3 years.

Harry McCall Head Coach Aiken High School(Cincinnati,OH) 1) What is the most gratifying thing you get from coaching? The opportunity to see the development process for a kid on and off the field. Grow from a boy to a young man.

2)As a coach and/or player What was your biggest win? As a coach the biggest win I been apart of was Aiken over Indian Hill(2018) after being picked to lose by 30 points.

3)What is the hardest offense to prepare for? A Fast tempo hurry up offense. Just cuts off the player to coach communication before every play if it’s ran right.

4)Do you thing open enrollment and/pr the competitive balance has helped or hinder the sport? Helped

5)Who has been the best player you have faced as a player or coach? As a player I would say it’s a Tie between Dante Love(Withrow High School) & Russel Wilson( N.C. State) they both was unstoppable and different ways. Love was a freak Athlete in High School.

6)What would you change about the playoffs and the state final game? I’m pretty fine with the way things are. Maybe rotate the state final game to a different big city in the state every two years(Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland)

7)How do you feel about playing out of state opponents? I’m fine with it.

8)As fans we often look at a match up and say there is no chance for this team to beat that team. If this holds true for coach's. How do you prepare your team for a game you know/think you can't win? You shouldn’t be coaching if you ever go into a game thinking you can’t win it. Always a chance in my eyes and we prepare as so.

9) Who is the one coach you most enjoy coaching against and beating? The opponents coach.

10) If you were not coaching football what other sport could you coach? Basketball for sure, and we would play a lot of 1-3-1 full press.

Coach's Name - Jeremy Pflug Position - Head Varsity Football Coach School - Cincinnati College Preparatory Academy

Getting to see my kids faces light up when they accomplish something that they never thought they could do. I have always been someone that is driven by being told "I can't do something" and I feel like I instill that mentality into my football program. Also, having a player tell me "they love me" and know that they probably haven't told that to many people in their life. You know they actually trust you when that happens because kids can tell who is full of crap or not better than most people. When they believe in you and know that you actually love them, you see them achieve more than anyone thought they could ever dream of.

2)As a coach and/or player What was your biggest win?

Beating Madeira was the biggest win in my career. They beat us by like 35 the year before at their place and are a perennial playoff team. It was pouring the entire time and we beat them 28-14 securing one of the biggest upsets in the city that week. Kievaughn Sanks and Tim Williams had 2 TD's each. We went on to make the playoffs for the first time in Aiken High School history.
The Wing-T is the hardest to prepare for. Everyone is going to all these spread and RPO offenses so when you run into the Wing-T, you have to change your mindset for a week while still teaching and progressing within your defensive scheme. It's like when everyone plays Navy in college. It's a unique style of play that isn't seen very often.

4)Do you thing open enrollment and/pr the competitive balance has helped or hinder the sport?

I think that competitive balance helps the sport in the small divisions. It keeps teams from picking and choosing the kids that they want and staying under a certain enrollment figure. When you have to play with the 30-40 boys that you have in the entire school, you have to play with the cards that we dealt in public schools where in private schools, you can make decisions based on numbers.

As a player, BJ Flowers from Mt. Healthy... he was the ORIGINAL Human Joystick. What he could do with the football was unbelievable. You could have him surrounded 11-1 and somehow, he would figure out ways to wiggle out and take it to the house.

As a coach, Will Coker from Woodward... he had the same agility at Flowers except Will was strong and would lower his head and run you over if need be. I have never seen a kid make more with less. He didn't have a line or much offensively around him, so your entire game plan was to stop him.

I would rotate the State Championship game to 5 different places. That way, you would get a State Championship Game in the every corner of Ohio and in Columbus twice during a decade. The only other alternative would be to do it like the rest of the rounds are done and find a spot in the middle of both schools in the playoffs. I don't think the State Championship for every division needs to be played at the same spot. I would also bring more teams into the mix. I like the proposed idea of 12, that way 8 teams are getting a home game to start the playoffs and eliminate one scrimmage week.

I actually enjoy playing teams from other states. It gives you an opportunity to venture out and scout things that aren't being done in your own state. You never know what you mind find outside of your own little bubble.

8)As fans we often look at a match up and say there is no chance for this team to beat that team. If this holds true for coach's. How do you prepare your team for a game you know/think you can't win?

I make sure our players prepare for every game EXACTLY THE SAME EVERY WEEK. We talk about the "Faceless Opponent" and that everyone is 0-0 and fighting to be 1-0 every single week. Football is funny sport where I truly believe that anyone can beat anyone on any given Friday.

I had a blast coaching against Jimmy Spears from St. Bernard this year. He was my little league football coach so it was special to coach against him... and even more special to win on the last play of the game.
I also love coaching against Chris Mobley. Very schematically sound defensive minded coach. Hughes was my rival back when I played high school football. He has that program going in an upward direction. It's exciting to see such great football being taught by inner city schools. If you look at Cincinnati Public Schools as a whole, you see teams in the top 10 of Harbins every single year, so it's exciting to return to the CMAC in 2021.

Without question... baseball. I love sitting on a bucket, spitting seeds and watching the game unfold in front of you. I like old school NL style baseball with bunting, hit and runs, utilizing your bench to hit for pitchers... all about defense and organized aggression. Plus, I think I look pretty good still in baseball pants!!! Hahahaha!!!!

Coach's Name: Daniel Barker
Position: Head Coach
West Carter (KY)

Seeing a player’s growth from their freshman year to young adulthood.

2)As a coach and/or player
What was your biggest win?

2019 District Championship game. 2nd District title in school history. Great night for WC Football. We had a really special group of kids and I’m glad they got to experience that night.

Anything balanced. Teams that can run and pass are always the most difficult to prepare for in my opinion.

Not really sure. I think in our area you kind of just play with who you have. Kids move some, but not at a huge rate.

Coached against a lot of really good players. I would say the best I’ve coached against was Kash Daniel at Paintsville.

Honestly, not much. I think now that teams can schedule for the RPI it will help. Anything is better than cross-bracketing.

Not interested in it.

How do you prepare your team for a game you know/think you can't win?

I’m too competitive to ever feel that our team doesn’t have a chance or isn’t going to win. Against opponents that other people think we shouldn’t beat, we try not to do anything different. It’s a game, and the team that plays the best will win.

There isn’t anyone that I explicitly like beating.
I do enjoy coaching against some of our area teams because of the challenge. Russell has a great staff and always have a great gamelan. Our games with Fleming have been really good. It’s always good to have a win against East too. But I try to make the games about our kids and not my personal feelings about any coach. That said, I make every effort to be friends with all the coaches we face. Football is a game, and I respect the leadership all football coaches display for their players. NEKY has some great football coaches than are even better men.

I could coach basketball, but in truth the only sport I would ever want to coach is football.

Coach: Jason Lee Head Coach: Lakewood (Hebron)
⦁ What is the most gratifying thing you get from coaching?
Watching the growth and the development a young person gains from the game of football. This includes how a young man develops physically, mentally and emotionally. The leadership skills they develop and other attributes including the value of hard work and teamwork. Seeing them develop later on into a man that is both an ELITE father and husband is ultimately the most gratifying of all!
⦁ As a coach and or player what was your biggest win?
This year our win versus Watkins Memorial was huge for the program! In 2018 they hung 62 points on us in a loss. Our victory this year showed the growth we have made as program and the ability to finish a game that so often we haven’t done in the past. The 2nd half of the season, we were playing our best ball and gaining momentum. Most importantly, we began to believe more and execute more efficiently!
⦁ What is the hardest offense to prepare for?
Option teams that make it a staple in their offense becomes very difficult to prepare for. Requires a lot of discipline to maintain consistency with knowing your assignments, especially when you don’t have the time to rep or see many option teams.
⦁ Do you think Open Enrollment and / pr the competitive balance has helped or hinder the sport?
I never have been a fan of open enrollment. The days of growing up and playing with the same guys you played with in youth league, are gone. Often the feeling of family /community is often impacted because of this. Also, for those schools who can’t compete because of facility’s or tradition often lose players to other schools, only widening the competitive balance.
⦁ Who is the best player you faced as a player of coach?
Joe Burrow was QB at Athens when we played them and I coached at Zanesville (2012-2016). Enough said
⦁ What would you change about the play-offs and the state final game.
Don’t believe we need to expand the play-offs, I like it the way it is! We need to keep the games in Massillon. Ohio State is just too large of a stadium and it effects the game environment.
⦁ How do you feel about playing out of state opponents?
I would rather not play an opponent out of state, unless absolutely necessary to complete a schedule. 10 games always better than 9!
⦁ As fans we often look at a match up and say there is no chance. How do you prepare your team for a game you think you can’t win?
We focus on us! We focus on what we can do against their weaknesses! Our approach doesn’t change if we are considered a favorite or not. It starts with the coaches and their attitudes and how we prepare.
⦁ Who is one coach you enjoy coaching against and beating?
We are fortunate to be able to coach against the best every year in Randy Baughman. Although, I have yet to beat him, I enjoy the challenge! He runs an ELITE program and I respect him the most of all the coaches in our League.
⦁ If you were no coaching football what other sport could you coach?
Track or basketball? But probably would go back to private QB lessons that I used to do before becoming the Head Coach at Lakewood. It was called Southeast Ohio Elite Qb Training. I really enjoyed developing Qb’s at all age levels and skill set!

Nathan Mcpeek
Head Football Coach Frederick Douglass High School

1) What is the most gratifying thing you get from coaching?- I enjoy seeing our players succeed on and off the field. The quote of we influence more kids daily as a coach than most people do in a lifetime is so accurate. I don’t take that responsibility lightly.

2)As a coach and/or player What was your biggest win?- As a coach winning 2 state-semi final games in 2012 at Fairview and 2019 at Frederick Douglass. I’m 0-2 in that state title game but feel blessed to have gotten the opportunity to coach in those games. As a player coming back from 38-8 down in the GMAC bowl against East Carolina when I played at Marshall. We came back and won 64-61 in Triple overtime,

3)What is the hardest offense to prepare for? Wing-T offense- Double Wing- so much deception- Tempo

4)Do you thing open enrollment and/pr the competitive balance has helped or hinder the sport?- We are in a very entitled society that is about about ME instead of WE. It’s a challenge to get players, parents, and families on board to be selfless. I do think the players need to know how much you care and what are you doing to help them achieve dreams. We are in transit society with kids playing at 4 different high schools in 4 years because of playing time or opportunities so that makes the overall level of competition suffer at times,

5)Who has been the best player you have faced as a player or coach? Last season we got beat in the state championship and a kid named Michael Meyer from Covington Catholic he was the best HS player I’ve ever seen. He signed to attend Notre Dame and is a beast. The best player I ever played against was Julius Peppers from North Carolina just retired recently from the NFL.

6)What would you change about the playoffs and the state final game?- We have went to the RPI system in Kentucky so it’s new so at this time nothing other than maybe not taking the top 4 four teams from the districts.

7)How do you feel about playing out of state opponents? I love playing any opponents that can help our RPI and play good opponents that will expose weaknesses for us to improve

8)As fans we often look at a match up and say there is no chance for this team to beat that team. If this holds true for coach's. How do you prepare your team for a game you know/think you can't win?- just control what you can and prepare to win- get your kids to believe and go execute all you can do

9) Who is the one coach you most enjoy coaching against and beating?- Coach McKee at TTUN (Scott County High School) because he has a built an outstanding program there and are the team to beat in our district/region if you want to be the best version you can be.

10) If you were not coaching football what other sport could you coach?- I have coached Track and Youth Basketball in the past. Nathan McPeek

Last edited:
Coach Ramone Conley
Circleville High School

1-What is the most gratifying thing you get from coaching?
Building relationships with young people and watching them succeed (in whatever they choose to do). This is a relationship building career/job and it’s one of the reasons I got into it. I love football and the ability it has to change and impact lives and I want to share that with the next generation and generations to come.

2-As a coach and or player what was your biggest win?
As a coach my biggest win was probably my 5th year coaching. I coached for Eastern Pike and it was against Northwest High School in McDermott because it was my first career shutout as a Defensive Coordinator. It means a lot to me. I still have the game ball in my basement signed by the team. As a player, probably my Junior Year when we won our first playoff game against Jackson High School. It propelled our team (Waverly High School) to 11-0 which is the best record and most wins in school history.

3- What is the hardest offense to prepare for?
I think the hardest offense is the double tight wing t. Especially if they have a really athletic quarterback. It’s different because you rarely see it and when teams run it correctly, its TOUGH to stop. I coached against Lane Ruby from Southeastern when they ran it, and it seemed like we couldn’t do anything against it lol.

4- Do you think Open Enrollment and / or the competitive balance has helped or hinder the sport?
I am on the fence. I like open enrollment because I want a kid to be happy where he is. High school is a tough time for young folks. If going to another school makes them happy, do it. I do like the fact that kids can't just up and leave without repercussions though. There is something special about playing with your community and in front of the community that helped raise you. I can see both sides of the argument.

5-Who is the best player you faced as a player of coach?
Hands down Lane Ruby from Southeastern High School. The kid is an absolute stud. Fast, Strong, and just a heck of a football player. He’s playing at a college in Indiana right now.

6- What would you change about the play-offs and the state final game.
I like the fact that it’s expanding. Gives teams the opportunity to showcase what they have. Making the playoffs is an amazing thing.

7- How do you feel about playing out of state opponents?
I’ve never done it but I think it would be awesome. Getting a chance to showcase against other states would be awesome. I also would love to be able to take some of my players out of the state (some don’t get the opportunity)

8- As fans we often look at a match up and say there is no chance. How do you prepare your team for a game you think you can’t win?
You just have to emphasize that anybody is beatable. Nobody is perfect. The biggest obstacle is getting your team to believe. They hear the outside noise, they listen to what people say. Getting them to believe in the task at hand is the first step and having early success is the second.

9-With all that is going on with covid-19 Do you think football should go on as normal or move to the spring?
I don’t care when it happens, I just want the opportunity to play. Our seniors deserve it and the kids that have busted their butts all summer (without a guarantee of games) deserves it.

10-Who is one coach you enjoy coaching against and beating?
I love coaching against my buddies. It’s always fun to compete against them and talk a little trash lol Probably my favorite win against someone was against my high school football coach Rusty Wright who is now coaching for Piketon High School. It just brought things full circle for me. Love that man, he changed my life.