MVAC

That goes for basically all the area teams, our valley isn’t very strong, boardman and the boardman district have a chance to win a game past districts, but the D2 will go through svsm which is a loss

Agreed. Really, it’s been this way for awhile. Hard to compete with other schools in the regions at all levels, even on the girls side of things.

Well, at least the winner of Struthers doesn’t get Richmond Heights in the Regional semi. McDonald-Sebring this Friday could be a preview of District Final. Sebring has a nice team and is well coached.

From what I hear, Richmond Heights may be the best team in the state. They have benefitted from an influx of talent.

Well, at least the winner of Struthers doesn’t get Richmond Heights in the Regional semi. McDonald-Sebring this Friday could be a preview of District Final. Sebring has a nice team and is well coached.
Sebring gets to play my struthers wildcats to end the season as well at struthers, getting familiar wit the gym will help

Southern also gets a warm up on the Fieldhouse floor.
Cats may manhandle them though.
Liked playing McDonald and Sebring in the regular season.
Lo-ville not so much.

Agreed. Really, it’s been this way for awhile. Hard to compete with other schools in the regions at all levels, even on the girls side of things.

I can’t even think of the last time a local boys team made it Columbus, Harding maybe about a decade ago? JFK in 2017 and Springfield last year both came up just short in the regional title.

Agreed about the girls side. Reserve and McDonald both have great teams this year, but whoever wins that district will run into Cornerstone in Canton who already beat WR pretty bad earlier this year. The good thing for McDonald’s girls is they are 17-2 and no seniors so maybe next year they’ll have a shot at Columbus.

Wellsville has been playing decent lately. Didn’t they beat the Clips recently?
Wellsville games have been all over the board. Beat Southern and Columbiana recently. On the flip side beat Leetonia by 3 and got swept by Lisbon. With the exception of McDonald, Wellsville can either beat or lose to any team in this district. I'm not sure if Wright is back on the court yet

I can’t even think of the last time a local boys team made it Columbus, Harding maybe about a decade ago? JFK in 2017 and Springfield last year both came up just short in the regional title.

Agreed about the girls side. Reserve and McDonald both have great teams this year, but whoever wins that district will run into Cornerstone in Canton who already beat WR pretty bad earlier this year. The good thing for McDonald’s girls is they are 17-2 and no seniors so maybe next year they’ll have a shot at Columbus.

Poland's girls are also very good. Went undefeated in the regular season and went on to win their district last year. Lost to SVSM in the Regional Final.
Currently 18-2 this year... only losses were to Harding and Canfield by 4. Went undefeated in NE8 play for the second consecutive year. They finish the season with Howland and a rematch with Canfield. They're the 2 seed in Austintown and definitely one of the favorites to repeat as district champs.

They're also relatively young. Most of their girls will be back next year.

Poland's girls are also very good. Went undefeated in the regular season and went on to win their district last year. Lost to SVSM in the Regional Final.
Currently 18-2 this year... only losses were to Harding and Canfield by 4. Went undefeated in NE8 play for the second consecutive year. They finish the season with Howland and a rematch with Canfield. They're the 2 seed in Austintown and definitely one of the favorites to repeat as district champs.

They're also relatively young. Most of their girls will be back next year.
Girls basketball yawn

Girls basketball yawn
Nowadays yes.
but back in the day when I got out of the service the first time there was a good looking girl who helped put Struthers on the map.
I remember those days distinctly.
Unbelievable crowds. People used to ask how to get to Hubbard for the games. Just told them, head up 616 and turn where everyone else is making the left hand turn.
Place was packed. About 2400 on hand. Perhaps about 100 people for the other team. .....
Those were some times indeed.

Back to the boys:

We know Waterloo has a pretty darn good team.
What’s the chances McDonald gets out of their funk and plays like earlier in the season and waltzes through Struthers on their way to Canton?

Labrae made it to C-Bus with Peyton Aldridge. That was about 8 years ago?

Making it to Columbus in hoops is tough. There are over 800 OHSAA schools competing in boys basketball. Only 16 make it to C-Bus (less than 2%).

Totally forgot about Labrae. 8 years ago.... Sheesh!

Thanks for the numbers. That’s what I was gonna say, but i’m too lazy to find the total number of schools in Ohio.

Regardless if Mcdonald or whoever makes it out of Struthers, should still be proud of the fact that you made it out of the district. I’m excited to see how this district plays out.

Labrae made it to C-Bus with Peyton Aldridge. That was about 8 years ago?

Making it to Columbus in hoops is tough. There are over 800 OHSAA schools competing in boys basketball. Only 16 make it to C-Bus (less than 2%).

Totally forgot about Labrae. 8 years ago.... Sheesh!

Thanks for the numbers. That’s what I was gonna say, but i’m too lazy to find the total number of schools in Ohio.

Regardless if Mcdonald or whoever makes it out of Struthers, should still be proud of the fact that you made it out of the district. I’m excited to see how this district plays out.

I also think district championships should be celebrated. Even in perceived "weak" districts it isn't an easy accomplishment.

I know the Mahoning Valley gets more teams to state in football than basketball. I would acknowledge it is probably a stronger football area than boys basketball. However, it is also statistically easier to get there in football.

714 schools play 11 man football in Ohio. 28 make it to the state level. 3.92% of all participating schools will make state.
790 schools participate in boys basketball in Ohio. 16 make it to the state level. 2.02% of all participating schools will make state.

Therefore, it is almost twice as likely to make state in football than it is in boys basketball.

Now back to the MVAC :)

Good info Frenchy, nice to have another quality poster.

As for tonight there is no league games, but a few OOC ones. The big one is Waterloo traveling to Mogadore. McDonald hosts Youngstown East who doesn’t have a great record, but they have played a tough schedule and had some competitive games against good competition.

Other games:
Salem at Reserve
Lowellville at EP
Milton at Leetonia

Mmcdo
Good info Frenchy, nice to have another quality poster.

As for tonight there is no league games, but a few OOC ones. The big one is Waterloo traveling to Mogadore. McDonald hosts Youngstown East who doesn’t have a great record, but they have played a tough schedule and had some competitive games against good competition.

Other games:
Salem at Reserve
Lowellville at EP
Milton at Leetonia

Mcdonald and East will be intriguing,I think. Like you said, regardless of their record, it should be a competitive match up.

Gonna go with Waterloo, McDonald and Lo-ville. The other 2 could go either way.
if betting, I’d go with the home teams.
..... wouldn’t mind seeing WR knock off the much bigger school. ?

Old Portage county foe Mogadore handled Waterloo tonight 68-57. Could have been more as Mogadore led by 17 at one point. Shut down Waterloo offense and the bigs.