MVAC Football 2020

McDonald leads 9-0 with 1 min left in 1st Quarter. McDonald first 2 drives they scored td’s that the refs disagreed with- first one was a fumble recovered in the end zone by WR, next drive they said the McDonald runner was down (both looked like bad calls). McDonald got a safety then scored for real quickly after.

Didn’t get around to posting the usual weekly update and schedules. 2 games in the grey tier have been canceled due to covid (champion-Brookfield, Crestview-Newton Falls). McDonald-WR rivalry is renewed in the scarlet tier down in Berlin Center and I wouldn’t be surprised if Ridge gives JM some trouble after a very big win over rival WR last week.
Ridge 17-0 over Milton

Didn’t get around to posting the usual weekly update and schedules. 2 games in the grey tier have been canceled due to covid (champion-Brookfield, Crestview-Newton Falls). McDonald-WR rivalry is renewed in the scarlet tier down in Berlin Center and I wouldn’t be surprised if Ridge gives JM some trouble after a very big win over rival WR last week.

That's probably a good thing for Crestview. The only thing they can really get out of playing NF is injuries.

McDonald moved the ball up and down the field. Love the fight WR continues to put up each week, but way too many costly mistakes continue to haunt this team. Penalties, dropped snaps, and the inability to get off the field on 3rd and long is crushing this team. WR couldn’t muster much offensively outside of the drive right before the half. WR is really banged up, especially up front, hope they can get healthy for the playoffs.

WR still seems like it is trying to figure out who they are. One time they are 5 wide chucking it around, the next they are trying to run it down your throat. Congrats to McDonald.

McDonald moved the ball up and down the field. Love the fight WR continues to put up each week, but way too many costly mistakes continue to haunt this team. Penalties, dropped snaps, and the inability to get off the field on 3rd and long is crushing this team. WR couldn’t muster much offensively outside of the drive right before the half. WR is really banged up, especially up front, hope they can get healthy for the playoffs.

WR still seems like it is trying to figure out who they are. One time they are 5 wide chucking it around, the next they are trying to run it down your throat. Congrats to McDonald.

That last paragraph was what confused me all night, WR ran 2 distinct offenses and really had no rhyme or reason about when they switched back and forth. I thought they looked much better when they had #8 at qb and spread it out. When they went with #1 and just ran him WR went nowhere. But yeah other than that drive before half WR didn’t do much on O, they had just over 100 yards before the trick play td in the 4th.

Do give credit for WR for bowing up in the redzone on D. While I think the refs blew at least one call that McDonald should’ve scored, give credit to WR for being there to have the decision go to the refs. Overall I thought McDonald played well but a few crucial mistakes kept it close. McDonald ran for over 350 yards

Week 5 scoreboard:
Scarlet
Springfield- 56
Waterloo- 6

Jackson-Milton- 0
Mineral Ridge- 45

McDonald- 23
Western Reserve- 16

Lowellville- 43
Sebring- 22

Big shock of the night obviously the Ridge-JM game. Ridge winning wasn’t a huge surprise, but winning by 45 is.

Grey
Labrae- 54
Liberty- 20

Toronto- 26
Campbell- 13

Standings:
Scarlet
1- Springfield 5-0
T2- Jackson-Milton 4-1
T2- McDonald 4-1
T4- Lowellville 2-3
T4- Mineral Ridge 2-3
T4- Western Reserve 2-3
7- Sebring 1-4
8- Waterloo 0-5

Grey
1- Brookfield 3-1 (3-0)
2- Champion 2-2 (2-1)
3- Crestview 3-1 (2-1)
4- Labrae 3-2 (3-2)
5- Campbell 2-3 (2-2)
6- Liberty 1-4 (1-4)
7- Newton Falls 0-3 (0-3)

That last paragraph was what confused me all night, WR ran 2 distinct offenses and really had no rhyme or reason about when they switched back and forth. I thought they looked much better when they had #8 at qb and spread it out. When they went with #1 and just ran him WR went nowhere. But yeah other than that drive before half WR didn’t do much on O, they had just over 100 yards before the trick play td in the 4th.

Do give credit for WR for bowing up in the redzone on D. While I think the refs blew at least one call that McDonald should’ve scored, give credit to WR for being there to have the decision go to the refs. Overall I thought McDonald played well but a few crucial mistakes kept it close. McDonald ran for over 350 yards
Against Ridge, Springfield and Waterloo their best play was their heavy package. Last two weeks I agree it’s been letting 8 cook and spreading it out. I think it is your typical trying to to figure out who they are. Obviously injuries have decimated them. Down 4 lineman, 3 starters and their 6th man, plus their all league tail back has hurt them on both sides. Nabb had a big game vs McDonald last year. After 5 weeks I agree that I think the answer is to spread it out. O-line seems to be holding up. Let 8 cook. WR has wideouts all over the field. As a fan, just want to see more consistency. Unfortunately that takes time and the 2020 season is running out of it.
Still love my Blue Devils.

Against Ridge, Springfield and Waterloo their best play was their heavy package. Last two weeks I agree it’s been letting 8 cook and spreading it out. I think it is your typical trying to to figure out who they are. Obviously injuries have decimated them. Down 4 lineman, 3 starters and their 6th man, plus their all league tail back has hurt them on both sides. Nabb had a big game vs McDonald last year. After 5 weeks I agree that I think the answer is to spread it out. O-line seems to be holding up. Let 8 cook. WR has wideouts all over the field. As a fan, just want to see more consistency. Unfortunately that takes time and the 2020 season is running out of it.
Still love my Blue Devils.

It should be no surprise that WR is struggling. Injuries are always an issue. They lost their leader. If you hated or loved Hake, he was the heart of that team.

So here is the MVAC's teams playoff seeding and pairings:

Scarlet tier:
Region 21:
-Springfield got the 1 seed and bye
-Ridge got the 14 seed and will host Wellington. If they win they will play at Norwayne
-Reserve got the 16 seed and will host Columbiana, winner will play Springfield.

Region 25:
-McDonald got the 6 and will host 11 seeded Jackson-Milton. Winner will likely play 3rd seeded Leetonia
-Lowellville got the 16 seed and will host Valley Christian with the winner playing at JFK.
Sebring and Waterloo both opted out

Grey Tier:
Region 17:
-Crestview got the 6 seed and a bye. They will play the winner of Southeast vs. Buckeye Local
-Champion got the 13 and will hose Crestwood. The winner will play at Garaway.
-Liberty is the 23 and will play at Warrensville Heights. Winner will play the winner of Beachwood/Grand Valley

Region 21:
-Brookfield got the 7 and will host Oberlin.
-Labrae got the 10 and will host Cardinal. If Brookfield and Labrae both win they will play each other.
-Campbell got the 21 and will pay at Hillsdale. The winner will play at Py Valley
-Newton Falls got the 24 and will play at St. Thomas Aquinas.

My initial thoughts:
Springfield and McDonald both look like they'll be able to get to the regional semi's before running into Mogadore and Lucas respectively.
Ridge, Reserve, and Lowellville all have decent shots of winning a game.

Crestview got a tough draw with the first game likely being Southeast and then the winner of Mooney/Garfield.
Brookfield and Labrae should meet up again in the 2nd round.

Excited to see WR and Columbiana get to go against each other. It was always a great regular season game for a long time, not sure why it ever got taken off the schedule.

Excited to see WR and Columbiana get to go against each other. It was always a great regular season game for a long time, not sure why it ever got taken off the schedule.

I remember lol, Spaite after the 2018 game told the paper WR was “too good to play right out the chute”. I think WR should beat Columbiana, they just lost to Wellsville 3-0

I remember lol, Spaite after the 2018 game told the paper WR was “too good to play right out the chute”. I think WR should beat Columbiana, they just lost to Wellsville 3-0
WR also gave up 46 to Jackson Milton, who I know is better, but still. Sounds like two similar teams. I look for the Blue Devils to win and take another shot at the favorite.

WR also gave up 46 to Jackson Milton, who I know is better, but still. Sounds like two similar teams. I look for the Blue Devils to win and take another shot at the favorite.

While true Milton is way better than Wellsville. Definitely not a guarantee but WR looks like they should win. If WR wins and plays Springfield that'll be 4 games within a calendar year, probably the first time that has ever happened.

While true Milton is way better than Wellsville. Definitely not a guarantee but WR looks like they should win. If WR wins and plays Springfield that'll be 4 games within a calendar year, probably the first time that has ever happened.
WR held their own against Springfield for a half. Hey stranger things have happened.

I saw the WR game against NMSL. I think this game might be more difficult for the Blue Devils. They are dealing with a lot of injuries and during the first Springfield game it felt like WR was holding a Tiger by the ears (sorry for the horrible pun it was unintended) and in the second half they couldn't hold on anymore. I'm also guessing that Springfield will be ready for the ground and pound, play in a phone booth offense WR ran with a great deal of success in the first game. That being said, there is a reason they play the games and anything can and does happen!