MVAC 2021

Can't recall McDonald really being this low in upperclassmen numbers.
Can't even recall a season as depressing as this one.
Perhaps playing all the younger kids will pay dividends in the future.
Coming off a 16 player senior class last year. Injuries have hurt as well, 2 starters haven’t played all year and another got injured week 2. I had started to think they were coming around and playing better the last 2 weeks (the Valley game would’ve been tight had McDonald not had 5 turnovers) but tonight looks like 2 steps back.

The issue is there’s just no upper classmen, they’re the only seniors that see the field, and there’s a couple juniors that play but it’s mainly sophomores and a freshman starting. There’s some promise from the freshman and sophomores playing, but most still need a year or two before being good varsity football players. The positive is all the experience this year should hopefully pay off down the line in the coming years
WR as well. I think there are 8 freshman and sophomores who either start or play significantly. Very small junior class, 4 guys I think. Big senior class, but it really is a 4-5 man group. Youth all over the field which leads to lots of young mistakes.

Should note that after a false start last year, tonight was the last game at AA Burkey stadium for McDonald. Blue Devils have played at AA Burkey since 1952. Next week they will host Springfield in the new stadium.

I was a bit surprised to see C-View beat Liberty 49-13. I thought it would be a much closer game. Either C-View is improving faster than I thought they would, or Liberty is not quite at the level that I thought they were. I don't expect C-View to beat Garfield, Labrae, or Brookfield, but they may give all 3 a game for 2-3 quarters anyhow.

Won't be Burkey, that's for sure.
But it looks mighty impressive.
This new stadium hopefully will have the same tradition of the old one.
You guys have much to be proud of.
The new stadium looks amazing. Burkey was definitely an advantage for McDonald. It felt like there was 2 yards between the away sideline and the stands. The visitor looker room was near the pool. It was always 90 degrees, humid as hell and smelled like Chlorine!

The new stadium looks amazing. Burkey was definitely an advantage for McDonald. It felt like there was 2 yards between the away sideline and the stands. The visitor looker room was near the pool. It was always 90 degrees, humid as hell and smelled like Chlorine!
A lot of the old stadiums that were tore down and rebuilt were probably just as gross. Including Fitch, Boardman, Campbell and Struthers.
The old Boardman stadium is still up and looking like it could fall down any second. ???

A lot of the old stadiums that were tore down and rebuilt were probably just as gross. Including Fitch, Boardman, Campbell and Struthers.
The old Boardman stadium is still up and looking like it could fall down any second. ???
Those old wooden bleachers on the away side at Boardman were a lawsuit waiting to happen lol..

Congrats McDoanld on your new stadium! Hopefully the inaugural game there isn’t a blowout.

The one thing I’m gonna miss from Burkey is how close you could get to the field. New stadium has a track so you will have to be behind that. Would love to know McDonald’s record at Burkey, that place has seen state champions (pre-playoff when polls decided), state runner ups (89 and 94), and many unbeaten seasons

With Burkey closing there’s not many of the old stadiums with charm left in the area. Most places either have new-ish stadiums or the older ones left have undergone a lot of upgrading. South Range and Boardman were in that category before opening up their new places. Columbiana at Firestone is really the only place that comes to mind

With Burkey closing there’s not many of the old stadiums with charm left in the area. Most places either have new-ish stadiums or the older ones left have undergone a lot of upgrading. South Range and Boardman were in that category before opening up their new places. Columbiana at Firestone is really the only place that comes to mind
Across the state line Sharon’s is really cool. Campbell might have one of he nicest venues in the area, their old cement was cool, I think girard still has those cement stands on the home side

Week 5 scoreboard:

Scarlet:
Springfield- 55
Mineral Ridge- 7

Lowellville- 41
Jackson-Milton- 7

Western Reserve- 34
Waterloo- 8

McDonald- 41
Sebring- 26

Scarlet standings:
1. Springfield 2-0 4-1
T2. McDonald 2-0 2-3
T2. Western Reserve 2-0 2-3
T4. Lowellville 1-1 4-1
T4. Waterloo 1-1 2-3
T6. Mineral Ridge 0-2 2-3
T6. Jackson-Milton 0-2 1-4
T6. Sebring 0-2 1-3

Grey:
Garfield- 49
Newton Falls- 7

Labrae- 54
Champion- 21

Crestview- 49
Liberty- 13

Brookfield- 62
Campbell- 0

Grey Standings:

T1. Garfield 2-0 5-0
T1. Crestview 2-0 3-2
3. Brookfield 1-0 3-1
T4. Labrae 1-1 4-1
T4. Champion 1-1 1-4
6. Liberty 0-1 2-3
T7. Newton Falls 0-2 2-3
T7. Campbell 0-2 1-4

Last edited:
Week 5 scoreboard:

Scarlet:
Springfield- 55
Mineral Ridge- 7

Lowellville- 41
Jackson-Milton- 0

Western Reserve- 34
Waterloo- 8

McDonald- 41
Sebring- 26

Scarlet standings:
1. Springfield 2-0 4-1
T2. McDonald 2-0 2-3
T2. Western Reserve 2-0 2-3
T4. Lowellville 1-1 4-1
T4. Waterloo 1-1 2-3
T6. Mineral Ridge 0-2 2-3
T6. Jackson-Milton 0-2 1-4
T6. Sebring 0-2 1-3

Grey:
Garfield- 49
Newton Falls- 7

Labrae- 54
Champion- 21

Crestview- 49
Liberty- 13

Brookfield- 62
Campbell- 0

Grey Standings:

T1. Garfield 2-0 5-0
T1. Crestview 2-0 3-2
3. Brookfield 1-0 3-1
T4. Labrae 1-1 4-1
T4. Champion 1-1 1-4
6. Liberty 0-1 2-3
T7. Newton Falls 0-2 2-3
T7. Campbell 0-2 1-4
Lowellville game was 41-7

I agree. While I like C-View's new turf field, I'm going to miss the old grass field. I think it was a poster from St. Thomas who commented that our playoff game in 2012 had an atmosphere with the grass field that you just don't get anymore. Those old fields had character. I know turf is so much easier to maintain, but grass fields were special. I feel even more nostalgic for the old basketball gyms. Our old "yellow gym", The Pit at Sebring, Leetonia, EP, Columbiana. They all had stands where the crowd was so close to the floor you could smell the gum being chewed by the students yelling at you! The gyms smelled of popcorn and sweat. It's sad to see them all gone now!

Those old wooden bleachers on the away side at Boardman were a lawsuit waiting to happen lol..

Congrats McDoanld on your new stadium! Hopefully the inaugural game there isn’t a blowout.
Feel like they should have waited one more week for WR. That’s been a rivalry the last 15 years or so. That place is gonna pack up and gonna be a great game.

Feel like they should have waited one more week for WR. That’s been a rivalry the last 15 years or so. That place is gonna pack up and gonna be a great game.
The crazy thing is the way the schedules worked out, the WR game is actually the last home game of the season, the last 3 are all on the road. I’d expect a good turnout for both games with the curiosity of the new stadium. I’m really looking forward to the WR game, with so many young players on both squads gonna be the first of many matchups of the same faces. Then of course you have Altiere, Hawk, and Gilligan who’ve been around forever in this matchup.

The one thing I’m gonna miss from Burkey is how close you could get to the field. New stadium has a track so you will have to be behind that. Would love to know McDonald’s record at Burkey, that place has seen state champions (pre-playoff when polls decided), state runner ups (89 and 94), and many unbeaten seasons
I always felt that was one of the charms of Burkey.....the visitor stands were built over top of the old cinder track. Then the stands were right up to the sideline. You could hear the coaches yelling (maybe not always a good thing), and almost feel the pads pop on a hard tackle. Now your so far away from the action you kind of lose that closeness to the action.

I know what you mean about all the memories.....I like the new stadium at South Range, but old Memorial Stadium had so many memories of great teams and great moments, that definitely makes it is hard to say good-bye.

The crazy thing is the way the schedules worked out, the WR game is actually the last home game of the season, the last 3 are all on the road. I’d expect a good turnout for both games with the curiosity of the new stadium. I’m really looking forward to the WR game, with so many young players on both squads gonna be the first of many matchups of the same faces. Then of course you have Altiere, Hawk, and Gilligan who’ve been around forever in this matchup.
Exactly, and two teams who like to run the ball. Maybe the quickest high school football game of the season haha

Week 6 Schedule

Scarlet:
Springfield at McDonald
Mineral Ridge at Western Reserve
Jackson-Milton at Sebring
Lowellville at Waterloo

Grey:
Champion at Garfield
Newton Falls at Labrae
Brookfield at Crestview
Liberty at Campbell

Brookfield at Crestview is an interesting game. Crestview is improving quickly but can they stop Brookfield's athletes at QB and WR? In the scarlet the best game is probably JM at Sebring. Probably a pillow fight but a pretty even one.

Brookfield at Crestview is an interesting game. Crestview is improving quickly but can they stop Brookfield's athletes at QB and WR? In the scarlet the best game is probably JM at Sebring. Probably a pillow fight but a pretty even one.
I actually think Sebring has a good chance to beat JM. JM is pretty bad, and while Sebring also is really bad, the Frederick's are good ball players and definitely will be the 2 best players on the field. Reserve-Ridge will probably be competitive but I think WR will end up winning by 2-3 touchdowns in the end.

I actually think Sebring has a good chance to beat JM. JM is pretty bad, and while Sebring also is really bad, the Frederick's are good ball players and definitely will be the 2 best players on the field. Reserve-Ridge will probably be competitive but I think WR will end up winning by 2-3 touchdowns in the end.
If Sebring can put 26 up against McDonald (I know this isn’t McDonald’s best year), they should demolish JM. JM is absolutely horrible, but they lost a ton to graduation.

JM held their own vs WR for a half. I think they will beat Sebring. I think WR and Mineral Ridge will be close to the end. It was a great game last year till a kick return in the 4th broke it open.

It's pretty clear Garfield, Springfield and LaBrae will have a chance to make playoff runs. Are there any other teams in the league that have a legit chance to make a regional championship game? I suppose you could argue that Brookfield has a chance. I talked to a few friends from Lowellville and they believe they can in DVII. With all of these teams making the playoffs there are bound to be some upsets.

It's pretty clear Garfield, Springfield and LaBrae will have a chance to make playoff runs. Are there any other teams in the league that have a legit chance to make a regional championship game? I suppose you could argue that Brookfield has a chance. I talked to a few friends from Lowellville and they believe they can in DVII. With all of these teams making the playoffs there are bound to be some upsets.
Lowellville has little to no chance. They have zero defense.