Mvac 2019

Bit of a bummer day to be a tiger fan. I think they’ll fantastic next year as well, with so much talent returning. They had such a phenomenal, history making season though so I hope they remember that.
Was really pulling for Springfield, paid the $9.99 for the live stream, glad I didn't take a PTO day and go to the game now.

Springfield should be very proud of their accomplishments this year, they were a a great team, beat some very good teams, and made the Championship game. I was kind of in awe of Springfield this year, but Anna proved why they were the #1 ranked team in DVI, even without all the mistakes by Springfield, they would still have won by 2 or more scores.

It's time for all the boys to hit the weight room and get ready for another successful year. I would think Springfield should be favored to win the MVAC again, with the big 3 each competing well, and preparing each other for another playoff run.

Has anyone heard anything more about potential Schools joining the MVAC? Specifically any Portage County schools? I know they had some feelers out there for a 8th Team for the new schools next year: https://www.morningjournalnews.com/sports/local-sports/2019/04/mvac to-grow-to-15-schools/

Wouldn't a league of Springfield, Mogadore, McDonald, Western Reserve, Liberty, Brookfield, LaBrae, Crestview etc. raise some eyebrows? Yes there are other really good football programs that could be slotted in / out, but from a pure Football perspective, that schedule would prepare you, if you can win enough games to make the playoffs.
Give it a couple years and I could see some changes in the "Tiers" for the MVAC. If we ever want to compete with the mighty MAC conference we have to get better and stronger.

Was really pulling for Springfield, paid the $9.99 for the live stream, glad I didn't take a PTO day and go to the game now.

Springfield should be very proud of their accomplishments this year, they were a a great team, beat some very good teams, and made the Championship game. I was kind of in awe of Springfield this year, but Anna proved why they were the #1 ranked team in DVI, even without all the mistakes by Springfield, they would still have won by 2 or more scores.

It's time for all the boys to hit the weight room and get ready for another successful year. I would think Springfield should be favored to win the MVAC again, with the big 3 each competing well, and preparing each other for another playoff run.

Playing a team from the Mac, especially one as dominant as Anna this year, requires a perfect game and Springfield just shot them selves in the foot way to much early with penalties and turnovers. Absolutely no shame in losing a state title game, a once in a lifetime experience.

Hopefully Springfield’s success can lead to the others upping their game to compete with the tigers. Springfield is going to be a massive favorite next year, not only with Brungard back for his jr year, but guys like Nezbeth, Seymour, Medvec, Snyder, Tindell etc. I think they’ll have a few holes to fill up front but Springfield is loaded. McDonald returns almost everyone and should be set for a good season. Reserve I think loses a huge sr class and a lot of starters, but with their great numbers and coaching they’ll be competing

Has anyone heard anything more about potential Schools joining the MVAC? Specifically any Portage County schools? I know they had some feelers out there for a 8th Team for the new schools next year: https://www.morningjournalnews.com/sports/local-sports/2019/04/mvac to-grow-to-15-schools/

Wouldn't a league of Springfield, Mogadore, McDonald, Western Reserve, Liberty, Brookfield, LaBrae, Crestview etc. raise some eyebrows? Yes there are other really good football programs that could be slotted in / out, but from a pure Football perspective, that schedule would prepare you, if you can win enough games to make the playoffs.
Give it a couple years and I could see some changes in the "Tiers" for the MVAC. If we ever want to compete with the mighty MAC conference we have to get better and stronger.

Nothing official or anything. As of now it’s just one tier of the current MVAC and the other of the current AAC blue that has 7 schools (Brookfield, Campbell, Champion, Crestview, Labrae, Libery, Newton Falls)

Nothing official or anything. As of now it’s just one tier of the current MVAC and the other of the current AAC blue that has 7 schools (Brookfield, Campbell, Champion, Crestview, Labrae, Libery, Newton Falls)
Yeah, me either, just some rumors. I will inquire this weekend from one of the WR coaches, if he has heard anything. I know they were looking for 1 more to add to the new schools in the AAC blue, for a 8 team league.
Thought I read somewhere that the PTC was having some issues, but I think they have their 8 teams for a conference, and are staying together.

Yeah, me either, just some rumors. I will inquire this weekend from one of the WR coaches, if he has heard anything. I know they were looking for 1 more to add to the new schools in the AAC blue, for a 8 team league.
Thought I read somewhere that the PTC was having some issues, but I think they have their 8 teams for a conference, and are staying together.

The ptc metro split into their own league. The county is down to just Mogadore, Rootstown, Garfield, and Southeast after Crestwood and Valley Christian left. After the whole itcl collapse I’m just doing a wait and see approach to what happens.

Well we have our answer:

Garfield joining the 7 schools from the AAC blue into a new MVAC tier.

So no Mogadore coming into the MVAC? This is sad. Would be great to have a yearly tough game for McD, WR, Springfield.

We have been saying this for a while, but would love to see the EOAC and MVAC merge and split into a big and small. Basically the ITCL 2.0, minus the mandatory crossover games. With the MVAC adding the AAC blue, they could get the tier thing right this time by absorbing the EOAC. You could almost have a league of 5's, 6's, and 7's....I believe the MAC has a similar tier set up and they have made it work to their advantage.

We have been saying this for a while, but would love to see the EOAC and MVAC merge and split into a big and small. Basically the ITCL 2.0, minus the mandatory crossover games. With the MVAC adding the AAC blue, they could get the tier thing right this time by absorbing the EOAC. You could almost have a league of 5's, 6's, and 7's....I believe the MAC has a similar tier set up and they have made it work to their advantage.

Garfield--Champion--Waterloo--Brookfield--LaBrae--Liberty--Campbell--Newton Falls

Crestview--Columbiana--EP--Valley Christian--Springfield--Ridge--McDonald--Western Reserve

Southern--Lisbon--Leetonia--Sebring--Jackson Milton--Lowellville--Wellsville--United

Not sure all schools would be on board and there would clearly be some travel issues for some schools, but for the 24 schools from the MVAC/AAC/EOAC it's hard to please everyone when taking into consideration size and geography.

Why does everyone want these mega conferences? Its impossible to keep 24 school districts happy, then people talk about leaving and taking schools with them. Why not just stay 8 schools and leave it alone? The way the MVAC is developing they are trying to keep things separate but its already starting to get muddy between the lines.

I understand wanting to get true conference champions in wrestling, CC and girls soccer but it comes with some strings attached

Why does everyone want these mega conferences? Its impossible to keep 24 school districts happy, then people talk about leaving and taking schools with them. Why not just stay 8 schools and leave it alone? The way the MVAC is developing they are trying to keep things separate but its already starting to get muddy between the lines.

I understand wanting to get true conference champions in wrestling, CC and girls soccer but it comes with some strings attached

I'd rather see them align with divisions. 3 separate leagues. A 5, a 6, and a 7. Play like opponents.

I'd rather see them align with divisions. 3 separate leagues. A 5, a 6, and a 7. Play like opponents.

Of the 24 schools across the 3 separate leagues there are only 4 D5 schools and 12 D6 schools so I’m curious as to how you split up the D6. Also some of the schools are close to cut lines and year to year schools might go up or down.

(D5/Big D6) Garfield--Champion--Waterloo--LaBrae--Liberty--Campbell--Newton Falls--Crestview

(Small D6) Columbiana--EP--Springfield--Ridge--Western Reserve--United---Brookfield--Southern

(D7) Lisbon--Leetonia--Sebring--Jackson Milton--Lowellville--Wellsville--VC--McDonald

That was easy...

Last edited:
(D5/Big D6) Garfield--Champion--Waterloo--LaBrae--Liberty--Campbell--Newton Falls--Crestview

(Small D6) Columbiana--EP--Springfield--Ridge--Western Reserve--United---Brookfield--Southern

(D7) Lisbon--Leetonia--Sebring--Jackson Milton--Lowellville--Wellsville--VC--McDonald

That was easy...

So you basically have what I already posted except you swapped Crestview/Brookfield, Southern/VC, and McDonald/United

I can see the logic behind swapping VC and Southern to keep the D7's together. I put them where I did taking location into consideration. No way McDonald would be on board with where you placed them. They should never be apart from WR, Springfield, and Ridge, just as Crestview, Columbiana, & EP should not be apart IMO. Putting Crestview and Brookfield where you did makes zero logical sense other than divisional alignment. I just don't get the hang up on enrollment size when you're talking about schools just one division apart.

Last edited:
Crestview, Columbiana, & EP should not be apart IMO.

That problem was instigated by Columbiana and EP administrators due to open enrollment. Although I do agree with you, it won't be rectified anytime soon.
Watch Columbiana bolt to another league soon. EP soon may be D7 if open enrollment losses continue.

That was easy...
I could see this working. Switching Crestview and Brookfield might work even better.

I don’t believe United would ever go for the Southern, Lisbon, Leetonia, Sebring, Jackson, Lowellville, wellsville.
United has very steady enrollment and is getting ready to build an entirely new complex with the money they are getting from the new gas plant below Hanoverton.
Combine this with the concern of most other league teams not being able to field complete or even partial teams for some sports I believe they will be looking for something a little bigger.
Even the league they are in now they struggle to find full JH, JV, soccer, softball/baseball teams to play. Lots of cancellations and half games. It’s just a matter of time before it hits Varsity Football and Basketball for the smaller schools.

If he is fired, it’ll be interesting where they go for a coach. I’m sure it’ll be enticing with great turnout (60 kids on roster this year) and recent success. Kopachy has been applying for jobs and he turned the program around and laid the foundation for Hake.

Honestly, don't think he is going anywhere. Slap on wrist and life go on.

If being intoxicated on an illegal substance right before teaching a class full of children doesn't get him fired, then as a parent I would be re-thinking continuing to send my children to school there! But that's just me......

Word is that Coach Powell is running things for the interim, or at least keeping the weight room open.
Head Coach Applications accepted until the 18th
I mentioned "Kopachy" and was given a strong "NO", not sure what that meant, but what I was told anyway (take it for what it's worth).
The School Board is staying very quiet, as instructed by Legal Counsel. The members are taking more than their share of abuse from parents and concerned citizens! They just can't say much currently.
I was told Andy Hake has been in rehab counseling since the day after the incident. I truly hope he gets better!
Should have a new Coach soon! Start the process and begin moving past this debacle.

Word is that Coach Powell is running things for the interim, or at least keeping the weight room open.
Head Coach Applications accepted until the 18th
I mentioned "Kopachy" and was given a strong "NO", not sure what that meant, but what I was told anyway (take it for what it's worth).
The School Board is staying very quiet, as instructed by Legal Counsel. The members are taking more than their share of abuse from parents and concerned citizens! They just can't say much currently.
I was told Andy Hake has been in rehab counseling since the day after the incident. I truly hope he gets better!
Should have a new Coach soon! Start the process and begin moving past this debacle.
Western Reserve school board meeting this coming Monday, February 10th.
One would think that there will be something said for the record then, very possibly in response to questions/concerns from parents.