MTV Is Reuniting the Original Cast of The Real World Season 1

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
This show was the beginning of reality TV and the end of Music Television....
In 1992, MTV changed the face of television with the launch of The Real World. In 2021, they're bringing it back in a very special way.

The show, which became the birth of reality TV as we now know it today, launched with seven young strangers from varied backgrounds — model Eric Nies, dancer Julie Gentry, hip hop artist Heather B. Gardner, poet and educator Kevin Powell, filmmaker Norman Korpi, musician Andre Comeau and folk singer Becky Blasband — moving into a New York City apartment together to "have their lives taped to find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting real."

That feels kinda depressing, seeing all these people going from young & vibrant to in their mid to late 50s

They get put into a nursing home in New York?

I remember those days of MTV going away from the music. As a kid, it was the show Remote Control, great show! Bevis and Butthead, also knowns as Prov1 and Omar.

Most on here I imagine didnt live through the mostly video days of MTV.
I get whey MTV went this route. Get show someone is interested in and they stay tuned for 30-60 minutes. When it was strictly music videos there was much more flipping through when a video was on ya didnt like.

What drove me nuts is when they started some of th video countdowns, and some videos that had been on the countdown for a long time they played edited versions. Then they went with that TRL show and let fans vote. Good to get people involved, but man those countdowns were pretty much the same every. single. day.

They get put into a nursing home in New York?

I remember those days of MTV going away from the music. As a kid, it was the show Remote Control, great show! Bevis and Butthead, also knowns as Prov1 and Omar.

Most on here I imagine didnt live through the mostly video days of MTV.
I get whey MTV went this route. Get show someone is interested in and they stay tuned for 30-60 minutes. When it was strictly music videos there was much more flipping through when a video was on ya didnt like.

What drove me nuts is when they started some of th video countdowns, and some videos that had been on the countdown for a long time they played edited versions. Then they went with that TRL show and let fans vote. Good to get people involved, but man those countdowns were pretty much the same every. single. day.
Beavis & Butthead is coming back to Comedy Central.

And the early Real World seasons used to actually have smart, interesting people. Now it’s just a bunch of drunk, horny, re*ards.

Historic program for both points indicated in the OP: this marked the beginning of reality TV and the beginning of the end of music television as it progressively phased out music videos over the next 15 or so years.

I would consider the death knell of "music television" to be when Carson Daily stepped away from TRL around 2002 or 2003. That program was pretty strong in the late 90s and early 2000s, and then fell off a cliff until it was axed in 2008. After Daily left the program MTV started to go into overdrive with reality programs with popular series such as Punk'd, Laguna Beach and Viva La Bam launching around 2003 or 2004.

Last edited:
Historic program for both points indicated in the OP: this marked the beginning of reality TV and the beginning of the end of music television as it progressively phased out music videos over the next 15 or so years.

I would consider the death knell of "music television" to be when Carson Daily stepped away from TRL around 2002 or 2003. That program went off a cliff until it was axed in either 2007 or 2008.

TRL was what I was referencing. They wanted to get people involved and had them request but man that countdown was practically the same day after day after day after day.......They even put in some amount like 65 days at the top and they had to retire it.
They wouldnt even play full videos often on that show.

The first show I recall being big that we all watched was Remote Control but that was just a game show. Real world ushered in the reality TV and who knew it would take over.

I dont know if they would have been able to survive being solely playing music videos. Maybe more prime time concerts, etc.. Who knows.

MTV was the bees knee back in the day. The fake Dr. Dre on Yo! MTV Raps. Headbangers Ball at like 1AM Saturday nights. Would sleep over friends houses back in the day to stay up and watch HBB!

I still live watching videos. CMT during the week in the AM's and the countdown on the weekend. Think ya have to have MTV2 to see any on that channel tho.

TRL was what I was referencing. They wanted to get people involved and had them request but man that countdown was practically the same day after day after day after day.......They even put in some amount like 65 days at the top and they had to retire it.
They wouldnt even play full videos often on that show.

The first show I recall being big that we all watched was Remote Control but that was just a game show. Real world ushered in the reality TV and who knew it would take over.

I dont know if they would have been able to survive being solely playing music videos. Maybe more prime time concerts, etc.. Who knows.

MTV was the bees knee back in the day. The fake Dr. Dre on Yo! MTV Raps. Headbangers Ball at like 1AM Saturday nights. Would sleep over friends houses back in the day to stay up and watch HBB!

I still live watching videos. CMT during the week in the AM's and the countdown on the weekend. Think ya have to have MTV2 to see any on that channel tho.

I can vaguely recall as a little kid my older siblings watching TRL in that time frame when pop music and boy bands were huge and the selections would have never changed without videos being "retired" after 2-3 months.

By the time I was in 7th or 8th grade it seemed just about the only music they played during the week was at the crack of dawn when I was getting ready to get picked up by the bus at around 6:30am. I watched and listened as background noise in the early AM through high school. Almost everything else was on the weekends in the morning or very late at night. After Daily left I think TRL was shortened at some point to 30 minutes to clear more prime teenage viewing time for reality programs.

During prime teenage viewing time, outside of watching the reality comedy oriented programs the only reality drama I can recall ever caring for was the 2-3 seasons of the Two-a-Days program following Hoover (AL) football.

I can vaguely recall as a little kid my older siblings watching TRL in that time frame when pop music and boy bands were huge and the selections would have never changed without videos being "retired" after 2-3 months.

By the time I was in 7th or 8th grade it seemed just about the only music they played during the week was at the crack of dawn when I was getting ready to get picked up by the bus at around 6:30am. I watched and listened as background noise in the early AM through high school. Almost everything else was on the weekends in the morning or very late at night. After Daily left I think TRL was shortened at some point to 30 minutes to clear more prime teenage viewing time for reality programs.

During prime teenage viewing time, outside of watching the reality comedy oriented programs the only reality drama I can recall ever caring for was the 2-3 seasons of the Two-a-Days program following Hoover (AL) football.
The countdowns were better when it was once a week, like the top 30-40 or so and would replay throughout the weekend. It wasnt so much fan driven so the spectrum was much wider than when it become TRL.