Moving Forward--Greater Miami Conference 2020-21 Varsity Outlook

CometCountry

2020-21 GMC Returning Players 2019-20 Regular Season Points Per Game and Top 5 Returning Scorers for each team:

Middletown 7-15-- 44.4 ppg (Mumford 12.2; Williams 9.3; Thompson 9.0; Hall 7.8; Blake 3.3)

Oak Hills 15-7-- 37.7 ppg (Caneris 13.5; Ramstetter 11.0; Dennis 9.3; Schreiber 2.9; Linenkugel 1.0)

Sycamore 7-15-- 31.1 ppg (Wittenbaum 9.0; Fehr 5.7; G. Darbyshire 5.9; Williams 3.8; Bruggeman 3.0)

Lakota East 20-2-- 31.0 ppg (Johnson 17.0; Coles 6.8; Peck 5.9; Kenrich 3.4; Adkins 1.9)

Mason 13-7-- 26.1 ppg (Smith 8.9; Ramsey 4.8; Pitcock 3.9; Stuart 3.5; King 3.1)

Colerain 1-21-- 24.5 ppg (Myers 9.4; F. Johnson 4.4; Sinclair 4.2; Murray 3.8; Meadows 2.1)

Princeton 15-7-- 24.2 ppg (Hardman 12.1; G. Johnson 6.2; Turner 4.3; Harris 1.6)

Fairfield 7-15 -- 24.2 ppg (Crim 10.8; Singer 4.1; Pope 3.0; Murphy 2.7; Ellery 2.3)

Hamilton 16-6-- 23.7 ppg (Lewis 9.6; Verdon 6.3; Ishmael 3.2; Simms 3.1; Jett 0.8)

Lakota West 11-11-- 21.7 ppg (Weber 6.5; Afari 6.1; Dudukovich 4.8; Lloyd 2.2; Irby 2.1)

Let's move forward to make up for the events of this week--- With every GMC school having 21 ppg or more returning I would expect a very competitive GMC from top to bottom next season. Of course JV players moving up to varsity and any transfers (like Mackie did for West in 19-20) can have a major impact combining with the returning varsity players. Certainly Middletown, Oak Hills, Sycamore and Lakota East, all with over 31 ppg returning along with multiple starters with varsity experience, combined with Lakota East and Oak Hills having finished 1st and 2nd this past season will give those four teams a leg up on being pre-season favorites and/or finishing in top half of the league. Mason, Princeton, Fairfield, and Hamilton will get strong help from their JV teams--and Colerain will do much better than the 1 win season this past season. West may need to toss some upcoming Soph's onto varsity (East did it in 19-20) from a very good Freshman team this past season to help out immediately. Going to be a great year in 20-21!!

Last edited:

With every team having a lot coming back I would expect the results to be relatively the same.
Well no because very good players who are seniors graduate (Robinson at Hamilton, Fuhrman and Mangold at East, Mackie and Combs at West, Dietrich and Brandt at OH etc...), so yes those point totals returning are important, but who has returning starters in those points is also critical to how the results turn out next year and how good the JV's are that are moving up--safe to say that East and OH have over 30 points returning and solid starters at East like Johnson, Coles, Peck and at OH like Caneris, Ramstetter, and Dennis puts them in good shape for next year!!

I put East at the top with it being their conference crown to lose.
Philly I agree that East will be the pre-season favorite based on having the best player in the GMC in Johnson, returning experience, and solid coaching with Adkins--I compare East right now to Villanova in the Big East--pickem in the top 2 because they are just always good. Middletown returns solid experienced players and were very competitive this past season with close losses throughout the schedule, along with over 44 ppg. OH is much like East in that Coach Price's team will be solid defensively, return 3 experienced players that score the ball, and get 6'4 Ramstetter back from MCL surgery which ended his season after 10 games this past season. My anticipation is that any of the other 7 teams will be capable of beating each other and the top 3 any night and certainly have JV players who will step in and contribute next year--great year for spectators and nerve-wracking for coaches!!

Philly I agree that East will be the pre-season favorite based on having the best player in the GMC in Johnson, returning experience, and solid coaching with Adkins--I compare East right now to Villanova in the Big East--pickem in the top 2 because they are just always good. Middletown returns solid experienced players and were very competitive this past season with close losses throughout the schedule, along with over 44 ppg. OH is much like East in that Coach Price's team will be solid defensively, return 3 experienced players that score the ball, and get 6'4 Ramstetter back from MCL surgery which ended his season after 10 games this past season. My anticipation is that any of the other 7 teams will be capable of beating each other and the top 3 any night and certainly have JV players who will step in and contribute next year--great year for spectators and nerve-wracking for coaches!!
I think this coming year is when the Middletown's coach earns his paycheck and shows whether or not he is a legitimate quality coach. As you said, regardless of the record of this past year, he will be returning a team with not just a lot of varsity experience, but varsity experience in competitive games. So the question becomes, what will he do with that? He coaches them up properly and all signs point to them being a top 3rd of the GMC team.

The mirror of them in my opinion is Princeton, but from what I've already seen they don't have what it takes to build on experience and grow their program. Bringing in a new coach only resets that clock for another few years and exasterbates the situation.

I just see this coming season looking almost identical to this this past season, with teams like Middletown and West swapping positions with Princeton and Hamilton. I'll give the wildcard to Fairfield. I'd like to see Oak Hills be better down the stretch and Mason will be Mason. Sycamore unfortunately just never has the talent to be better than an average team, but the coaching makes them get the most out of what they do have. And Colerain is Colerain. And at the end of the day, just like I said, East sits on top with them being able to decide if they want to finish in first or not. If you know Adkins, you already know he won't allow that to be a question for his team to have to answer lol