Most Impressive Team Performances

HighSchoolFB45

What is the most impressive single game performance you have seen a team complete? One that will always stick out in my mind is in 2012, when Toledo Whitmer (D1) handed TCC (D2) it’s only loss of the season 42-0.

Many. One that jumps out is Coldwater defeating an obscenely loaded Mooney in the state championship. That was fun to watch. For me, in 2005 losing 38-8 to Mckinley in reg. season then defeating them in playoffs 21-3, ending their season at 12-1.

Hubbard beating Big Red 34-16 last season in week 12. Hubbard was without their star tailback and given no shot.

I’ll take Hoban beating Trotwood 30-0 in D3 2016 state championship with a running clock. Or Hoban beating Winton Woods 42-14 at half in D2 2017 state championship

Last years Lancaster/Pickerington Central game with Lancaster coming from behind to win 31-30

The other game for me would be in 2000 when Logan (11-0) played Pickerington (11-0) in a regional semifinal game @ Lancaster where Logan won the game 28-26. Logan went on to lose to Upper Arlington who won the D1 State title that year.

Coldwater vs archbishop Kettering alter. Cw was down by 21 points twice in the game only to win in 3ot in the same season they beat money in the final

1986 Fitch win in the playoffs over Canton McKinley. The Bulldogs won 10-3 at Fawcett to give Fitch its' only loss in the regular season. The Falcons got a big win 27-24 at the Rubber Bowl in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Mooney over Bellaire 49-7 in the state semis in 2006.

Mooney picked off Bellaire 5 times, recovered a funble and silenced the crowd at Harding stadium in Steubenville in what was essentially a home game for Bellaire. I've never seen a defense that dominant in a game ever.

The capper was when DE Taylor Hill cut inside and intercepted a shovel pass and ran it back for a touchdown. Never seen a player do that before.

2014 regional semifinal
Benedictine 56 Cardinal Mooney 16

Going into the game many people were calling it the de facto state championship game

Benedictine did anything they wanted on offense having 3 straight one play TD drives in a row.

Defensively, Jerome Baker had the most dominant game I’ve ever seen a linebacker have.

2014 regional semifinal
Benedictine 56 Cardinal Mooney 16

Going into the game many people were calling it the de facto state championship game

Benedictine did anything they wanted on offense having 3 straight one play TD drives in a row.

Defensively, Jerome Baker had the most dominant game I’ve ever seen a linebacker have.
Totally agree. Was maybe 42-0 at the half?

2012 2nd Round of D1 Playoffs Mentor vs St. Edward. Current Bears QB Mitch Trubisky & Mentor came back from 21 points down in the second half to win 63-56. St Ed's was undefeated and ranked number 1 in Ohio coming into that game. Trubisky threw for 478 yards and 4 TDs.

2015 D6 Championship between Kirtland and Marion Local. Marion Local had won 4 straight state titles from 2010-14. Didn't think Kirtland had a chance but they pulled off the huge upset 22-20. I remember Kirtland scored when they were up 14-13 and went for 2 so Marion Local couldn't tie it.

For Marion Local, one of the more impressive "team" performances was the 2012 State Championship game against Newark Catholic. Starting tailback went down to injury the first drive of the game. His replacement also went down in the game, so Marion Local ended up putting a freshman wide receiver at running back and he scored three touchdowns. That game was the epitome of team effort.

Last edited:
2012 2nd Round of D1 Playoffs Mentor vs St. Edward. Current Bears QB Mitch Trubisky & Mentor came back from 21 points down in the second half to win 63-56. St Ed's was undefeated and ranked number 1 in Ohio coming into that game. Trubisky threw for 478 yards and 4 TDs.

2015 D6 Championship between Kirtland and Marion Local. Marion Local had won 4 straight state titles from 2010-14. Didn't think Kirtland had a chance but they pulled off the huge upset 22-20. I remember Kirtland scored when they were up 14-13 and went for 2 so Marion Local couldn't tie it.
Kirtland’s 2015 win over Marion Local certainly meant a lot as that team clearly lacked the firepower the 2014 team had that lost to Minster.
Nonetheless the 2015 game mirrored the 2012 regional game against Ursuline (played at the same time as Mentor-Eds coincidentally). Like 2015, Kirtland couldn’t muster anything in the first half and then they unleashed the firepower of their stack-I offense in the second half. Both games are certainly unforgettable for Hornet fans.

https://www.cleveland.com/highschoo...-0-deficit-to-beat-youngstown-ursuline-38-37/

Kirtland’s 2015 win over Marion Local certainly meant a lot as that team clearly lacked the firepower the 2014 team had that lost to Minster.
Nonetheless the 2015 game mirrored the 2012 regional game against Ursuline (played at the same time as Mentor-Eds coincidentally). Like 2015, Kirtland couldn’t muster anything in the first half and then they unleashed the firepower of their stack-I offense in the second half. Both games are certainly unforgettable for Hornet fans.

https://www.cleveland.com/highschoo...-0-deficit-to-beat-youngstown-ursuline-38-37/

That 2nd half was brutal. Kirtland was machine-like in it's execution. In hindsight, part of me wishes Kirtland had made it to the 2016 finals so that we could have left D6 with a .500 record against the Hornets instead of a losing one. Teams with a winning record against MSML in the playoffs are rare. Kirtland is amazing.

Still
That 2nd half was brutal. Kirtland was machine-like in it's execution. In hindsight, part of me wishes Kirtland had made it to the 2016 finals so that we could have left D6 with a .500 record against the Hornets instead of a losing one. Teams with a winning record against MSML in the playoffs are rare. Kirtland is amazing.
Still believe that if the officials hadn't blown that fumble call on the flyers after the RB was pushed back 5yards and play clearly over that they score again and that game becomes a laugher

Still

Still believe that if the officials hadn't blown that fumble call on the flyers after the RB was pushed back 5yards and play clearly over that they score again and that game becomes a laugher
If you remember also...ML had a botched snap on the goal line that Kirtland recovered and resulted in a 97 or 98 yard drive to give Kirtland the lead. If ML had scored there, history is 100% different.
Certainly ML had shot themselves in the foot a couple times, but it still baffles me to this day how machine-like the Hornet offense was in the second half that day. It was unreal to watch no matter what side of the stands of the Horseshoe you were on.

Cuyahoga Heights has us vastly outmanned in 2016. They had more talent than us on both sides of the ball, so I don’t really think I would’ve liked to see 2016 play out.
I will say, however, that Kirtland’s had to churn out their victories against ML. 2015 & 2018 were absolute battles in the trenches. On the other hand, ML’s win in 2017 wasn’t even close. You guys had a ton of ammo that year across the board and it showed on the field.
It is great that Kirtland has a 2-1 record to show for itself against ML, but I can certainly say that Kirtland has absolute respect for the dynasty Goodwin has built down there in Maria Stein. Looking forward to maybe seeing both teams in Canton this year, but we’ll see how things play out.

1986 Fitch win in the playoffs over Canton McKinley. The Bulldogs won 10-3 at Fawcett to give Fitch its' only loss in the regular season. The Falcons got a big win 27-24 at the Rubber Bowl in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Rich Morrow had a long touchdown in that game for Fitch. He was quite a player.

Oh God, please don't remind us.

In 2006 when SH played JFK in the finals my dad and I went to the game. As a Mogadore fan and a player in that 1996 game I have a healthy respect for SH in particular and the MAC in general.

We cheered for and sat on the SH side.

I did, however, wear my State Championship coat from 1996, so was a bright green beacon in a sea of red.

I wore it as a conversation starter and myself and a few SH fans had some good conversations about that game and the players that were in it.

The respect for both sides was evident.

If you remember also...ML had a botched snap on the goal line that Kirtland recovered and resulted in a 97 or 98 yard drive to give Kirtland the lead. If ML had scored there, history is 100% different.
Certainly ML had shot themselves in the foot a couple times, but it still baffles me to this day how machine-like the Hornet offense was in the second half that day. It was unreal to watch no matter what side of the stands of the Horseshoe you were on.
Oh yeah, I remember that now! Flyers have to be kicking themselves for letting that one get away.
but man, when Kirtland got rolling late in that game it was like a bunch of men vs grade schoolers.

But, according to Shadyside's coach, they were the public school champions!

That was the year they beat Marion local by 4 the last game of regular season.

Flyers had a chance to win in the final seconds and a wide open reliever in the en-zone. One of the smartest defensive plays by DSJ with blatant interference when the game was on the line...half distance to goal no first down...I still hate that rule.

Rich Morrow had a long touchdown in that game for Fitch. He was quite a player.

Eric Luckage had a great long TD on a QB keeper to give Fitch the lead late. That team was not expected to do much that year. State Semi-finalists and if not for some injuries could have given St. Edward a game in the semis. That was a fun team to watch.

That was the year they beat Marion local by 4 the last game of regular season.

Flyers had a chance to win in the final seconds and a wide open reliever in the en-zone. One of the smartest defensive plays by DSJ with blatant interference when the game was on the line...half distance to goal no first down...I still hate that rule.
I concur.
Pass interference at the HS level needs to be at least an automatic first down.