More Drama at Fenwick

What does this mean?
I’m not familiar with what happened at Fenwick, but I do think that coaches and ADs hide behind the “idiot parents” line of reasoning way too often. There are incompetent coaches and ADs out there that don’t alway operate in the best interest of the students. While it may be a rare case, parents should have the right to demand the best

I do not know any of the circumstances, but I can say Coach Clouse is a very good coach. He has a propensity to say some things before thinking but he knows the game. My daughter played for him, when he had to step in at the last minute at her club team when current coached moved on to become OSU assistant coach. Chris has personality that the girls came to love and respect. It was a great end to her club experience due to her teammates and to Chris. Hope the best for Chris.

I’m not familiar with what happened at Fenwick, but I do think that coaches and ADs hide behind the “idiot parents” line of reasoning way too often. There are incompetent coaches and ADs out there that don’t alway operate in the best interest of the students. While it may be a rare case, parents should have the right to demand the best
Parents demand the best? Thats funny. Coaching is the 2nd worst job behind referee!!! After you add up all the hours with scheduling, tryouts, practices and games, coaches probably make about $0.35 an hour. Family life? None! Remeber, with lifting and summer practices, it's at least 9 months a year. Would you take that job? And they have to buy a coach permit from Ohsaa, and they have to appease the school administrators, the AD and all the crybaby parents. And they could be a great coach but they are limited to the players from one school who TRYOUT! No thanks! I'll stick to watching the games in the lonely section of the bleachers, away from all the demanding parents who complain about coaching, the refereeing, and even the ball boys/girls. Maybe after getting let go this coach can finally spend some time with his family

Parents demand the best? Thats funny. Coaching is the 2nd worst job behind referee!!! After you add up all the hours with scheduling, tryouts, practices and games, coaches probably make about $0.35 an hour. Family life? None! Remeber, with lifting and summer practices, it's at least 9 months a year. Would you take that job? And they have to buy a coach permit from Ohsaa, and they have to appease the school administrators, the AD and all the crybaby parents. And they could be a great coach but they are limited to the players from one school who TRYOUT! No thanks! I'll stick to watching the games in the lonely section of the bleachers, away from all the demanding parents who complain about coaching, the refereeing, and even the ball boys/girls. Maybe after getting let go this coach can finally spend some time with his family

Great post. I probably get myself in some trouble if I ever hear anyone complaining at a high school Game about the ball boy or girl. That’s totally assinine!!!

BINGO

I am sure we sat somewhere near each other at some point. Lonely corner away from parents is the only way to watch a game.

I’m a parent and former coach. I’ve seen both sides of this and it’s ALL ugly. This is what I “demand” of coaches:
1. Move the kids forward. All of them.
2. These kids spend more time with you than their parents. Be worthy of that time and be aware of that responsibility.
3. The world doesn’t need more great soccer players. The world needs better moms, sisters, friends, and neighbors. Build those while you are building your team.
Anything else is icing.

I’m a parent and former coach. I’ve seen both sides of this and it’s ALL ugly. This is what I “demand” of coaches:
1. Move the kids forward. All of them.
2. These kids spend more time with you than their parents. Be worthy of that time and be aware of that responsibility.
3. The world doesn’t need more great soccer players. The world needs better moms, sisters, friends, and neighbors. Build those while you are building your team.
Anything else is icing.
This is well said. And none of those statements are mutually exclusive.

Parents have the "right to demand the best"! Coaches and AD's "hide" behind the crazy parent defense! Great post!

Yes, because so often highly trained/experienced coaches and AD's should yield to the EXPERTISE of the mom who coached Rec soccer when her kids were 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parents have the "right to demand the best"! Coaches and AD's "hide" behind the crazy parent defense! Great post!

Yes, because so often highly trained/experienced coaches and AD's should yield to the EXPERTISE of the mom who coached Rec soccer when her kids were 5.
Wow! You don’t know me, but I guess that because you remain anonymous on a chat line, gives you the courage to lob insults...anyway, I’ll let the people that I know tell me if I’m a moron or not. However, my kid played for a high level club team in the Cincinnati area, was recruited by a number of colleges, and now plays and starts on a good college team.

However, from your response, I have to conclude that you probably one of the bad coaches or ADs out there that can ruin the high school experience for some kids....

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! You don’t know me, but I guess that because you remain anonymous on a chat line, gives you the courage to lob insults...anyway, I’ll let the people that I know tell me if I’m a moron or not. However, my kid played for a high level club team in the Cincinnati area, was recruited by a number of colleges, and now plays and starts on a good college team.

However, from your response, I have to conclude that you probably one of the bad coaches or ADs out there that can ruin the high school experience for some kids....
i do not hide behind a username and am certainly not questioning your knowledge, but i must point out the facts concerning your child's success does not do anything to support your argument. i have encountered countless high level club players and college players whose parents know nothing of the game. I am not suggesting you are one of them, as i know nothing about you, but your child's success as a player is not a reasonable argument to support your knowledge.

i do not hide behind a username and am certainly not questioning your knowledge, but i must point out the facts concerning your child's success does not do anything to support your argument. i have encountered countless high level club players and college players whose parents know nothing of the game. I am not suggesting you are one of them, as i know nothing about you, but your child's success as a player is not a reasonable argument to support your knowledge.
I don’t disagree with this as a general rule, but I believe the explanation of the kid’s success was in response to Dino’s claim that Conan was just upset cuz his kid wasn’t any good/didn’t get playing time. Looks like that post got edited by a moderator, so some of the context is missing. It was relevant info at the time it was posted. Carry on.

I don’t disagree with this as a general rule, but I believe the explanation of the kid’s success was in response to Dino’s claim that Conan was just upset cuz his kid wasn’t any good/didn’t get playing time. Looks like that post got edited by a moderator, so some of the context is missing. It was relevant info at the time it was posted. Carry on.
Thank you Cincy, I appreciate the perspective. I was not trying to be a problem and I think your evaluation is fair and accurate.

I am sure we sat somewhere near each other at some point. Lonely corner away from parents is the only way to watch a game.

So I'm not the only one that does this??? Hahaha

I do it with every sport and every age too. Every once in a while I mess up and sit near the parents and I regret it, having an unenjoyable time for the whole game.

BINGO

.13 cents and hour

There are many great points on here, and most of you are exactly right, being a coach today, you're not in it for the money. I've often told parents who complain to me about coaches that there isn't a long line of people wanting to coach your kid, especially if it's not boys hoops and football.
There has to be constant and consistent communication from the AD and coaches and visa versa. Many things get set aside and fester and then blow up, normally at the ends of seasons.
Many schools began doing pre season parents meetings where the coach got to set the tone with parents. Obviously playing time and role on the team is normally the top complaints.
I think as one person mentioned earlier, there needs to be a level of understanding what the goal is for kids and sports. I've never seen a game where both teams won, or every team in the conference won the conference title. There are always winners and losers. Building kids who work hard, work together and improve is the key to building. The winning normally takes care of itself if you've got the right mix of kids on the team. Sports is very humbling, kids get exposed to their weaknesses and it's difficult to see your kid fail, but it's more important to see how they handle it and how they grow from it.
As much as we hear coaches complain, many still do it because they just love to hear those kids 8-10 years later thank them for coaching. No one can get paid enough to hear those words.