More DA club defections to ECNL

Empty CUP

REAL Colorado and NC Courage pull out along with UFA in Georgia and the Dallas Texans to join the ECNL. I would expect a few more this season as well. That makes 25 teams that have left the DA in the first 3 years. Greater level of competition and more recruiting opportunities have been the common theme from those leaving. The REAL director said “The ECNL is a better environment for the overall development of our athletes"

Ouch...

BASESWIMPARENT

What are the differences in the two orgs and does either one or both have a relationship with the pro league? I am just asking as I have become a big fan of the USWNT.

Outside of being able to play HS, as well as substitution rules, there's not a big difference. Both play about 9 months/year. DA trains 4 days/week as opposed to 3 for ECNL. Level of play seems to depend on the region of the country (I'd say it's leaning toward the ECNL with all the defections)

BASESWIMPARENT

Outside of being able to play HS, as well as substitution rules, there's not a big difference. Both play about 9 months/year. DA trains 4 days/week as opposed to 3 for ECNL. Level of play seems to depend on the region of the country (I'd say it's leaning toward the ECNL with all the defections)
I thought that some DAs were allowing high school soccer (like in Virginia?) But neither have any relationship with the pro league. Thank you for your reply.

Those are HUGE differences. Do ECNL teams have the same amount of travel. I’m hearing from DA parents that they are driving 6-8 hrs one way for ONE game multiple times per season. That doesn’t seem to make sense. I can’t imagine driving that far with the potential that your kid may not play at all or might play very limited minutes due to subbing rules.

There are substantial travel for both ECNL and DA clubs for regular season, showcases, and playoffs. A few times a season games are too far to drive so you must fly. This is not a cheap sport at this level so if cost or time spent on the road isn’t for you then look elsewhere. For those that stick with it there can be great pressure to land a nice scholarship to offset the overall cost. Some players get substantial scholarships and it works out great - others land at Elite soccer colleges and go onto play professionally. It’s still the best way to make it big into the next level with either club. ECNL is best if your kid wants to play HS and play at the highest level at showcases for maximum exposure. Some quit the DA after they get a commitment.