09/14 A Pittsburgh Carrick (PA)
09/20 A Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary
09/27 A Boardman
10/04 H Youngstown East
10/11 H Louisville
10/18 H Warren Warren G. Harding
10/25 H Youngstown Ursuline
11/01 H Austintown Fitch

Glad you posted this. I'm still confused on the scheduling on CARRICK. Yes I know that y'all scheduled Akron North recently, but I wouldn't be suprised if North rolled Carrick. Looking at Eitel in 18 they got blasted in the Pittsburgh City. League and didn't finish the season. One can imagine lack of numbers was the culprit. I know local teams aren't lining up to play Mooney for one reason or another. But CARRICK?
I always thought instead of scrimmaging Glenville, make that a September game. Itll beat the Ville going to Olentangy.

Glad you posted this. I'm still confused on the scheduling on CARRICK. Yes I know that y'all scheduled Akron North recently, but I wouldn't be suprised if North rolled Carrick. Looking at Eitel in 18 they got blasted in the Pittsburgh City. League and didn't finish the season. One can imagine lack of numbers was the culprit. I know local teams aren't lining up to play Mooney for one reason or another. But CARRICK?
I always thought instead of scrimmaging Glenville, make that a September game. Itll beat the Ville going to Olentangy.
The game that should have been week 3 is Canfield, Canfield finally filled that slot last week

The game that should have been week 3 is Canfield, Canfield finally filled that slot last week
LOL..... Cornfield.....

Like they were willing.....

Always reminds me of this classic moment in Valley sports history...

Lmao yeah they wouldn’t play Mooney ever even tho they probably would have won the last couple years

Lmao yeah they wouldn’t play Mooney ever even tho they probably would have won the last couple years
That article always makes me laugh

That was the peak period when no one wanted to play anyone around here.

Fortunately, that mindset is finally starting to change a bit.

Canfield used to play Cardinal Mooney in pretty much all sports except football. That changed with a then-new administration that directed NOT to play them in ANY sport, as per the VINDY article you listed (play-off games and a joint golf tournament excepted). At the ground level, that edict has unfortunately prevented good, local competition between the schools from taking place with a resultant loss of possible attendance/gate receipts and general fan interest.

Playing Mooney in football is a horse of a different color. Although Canfield hasn't scheduled Mooney, neither to my knowledge has Poland (who quietly has an overall "no play Mooney" rule, too), Struthers, Hubbard, Girard, Howland or Niles. Even with Mooney being rather average in wins and losses the past several years, their earned reputation for gridiron success has caused a lot of schools to wave them off in the past. With the Youngstown city school teams' resurgence, it will be interesting to see how things play out. Ironically, Canfield might well have competed at least evenly versus Mooney the past two years at least.

I don't know why everyone jumps on Canfield back about this. Everyone else has the same policy. Campbell always has, so does struthers, so does Poland....it's not a big deal.

I don't know why everyone jumps on Canfield back about this. Everyone else has the same policy. Campbell always has, so does struthers, so does Poland....it's not a big deal.
Canfield is the only one to come out to the media about it. But you’re right. It’s an unspoken agreement between the local schools.

Because they actually put it in writing in the Vindicator.

That's what separates them as being complete jacks.

It's one thing to sit on your front porch at night

It's another to do it in broad daylight and post pics on Facebook.

Savvy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Canfield used to play Cardinal Mooney in pretty much all sports except football. That changed with a then-new administration that directed NOT to play them in ANY sport, as per the VINDY article you listed (play-off games and a joint golf tournament excepted). At the ground level, that edict has unfortunately prevented good, local competition between the schools from taking place with a resultant loss of possible attendance/gate receipts and general fan interest.

Playing Mooney in football is a horse of a different color. Although Canfield hasn't scheduled Mooney, neither to my knowledge has Poland (who quietly has an overall "no play Mooney" rule, too), Struthers, Hubbard, Girard, Howland or Niles. Even with Mooney being rather average in wins and losses the past several years, their earned reputation for gridiron success has caused a lot of schools to wave them off in the past. With the Youngstown city school teams' resurgence, it will be interesting to see how things play out. Ironically, Canfield might well have competed at least evenly versus Mooney the past two years at least.

I think you could go back 5 years at least.

It's not the 70s or 80s anymore.

Heck it's not even 2011 anymore.

To me, the gate should be more important than anything else.

You'd certainly pull more people for a home game against Mooney than ones against Dover, Alliance, JFK or East.

What a strange group of home football opponents.

You'd certainly pull more people for a home game against Mooney than ones against Dover, Alliance, JFK or East.
Actually Dover has always had a huge gate, at least they had a great crowd when they played every year starting 10-12 years ago. JFK and East are a much different story. Alliance traveled decently when they were in the MAC, I am not sure about anymore but they seemed to have nice home crowds.

Actually Dover has always had a huge gate, at least they had a great crowd when they played every year starting 10-12 years ago. JFK and East are a much different story. Alliance traveled decently when they were in the MAC, I am not sure about anymore but they seemed to have nice home crowds.
dude.... this would be Mooney/Canfield

in football

that Dover crowd would be zippo in comparison

Has Mooney ever played Canfield in football? Poland? Regular season of course.
Just for poops and giggles can someone list schools in the Mahoning Valley who NEVER played Mooney in the regular season. Schools in their wheelhouse- not the Leetonias of the area. (And yes I'm aware Jackson Milton beat them 2 generations ago)

Just for poops and giggles can someone list schools in the Mahoning Valley who NEVER played Mooney in the regular season. Schools in their wheelhouse- not the Leetonias of the area. (And yes I'm aware Jackson Milton beat them 2 generations ago)
Going on a limb here and saying that no program that wasn’t good pre 1990 played Mooney.

dude.... this would be Mooney/Canfield
in football
that Dover crowd would be zippo in comparison
The only two times I was at a Dover vs Canfield game, the stadium was completely full.
The difference between those Dover crowds and a potential Mooney crowd would be a wash.

Canfield has played Ursuline but not Cardinal Mooney. Canfield has played Cardinal Mooney in every sport but football and possibly boys tennis, if they did play in boys tennis it would have had to been in the 1960's or earlier, and I'm not even sure Mooney had a team yet.
You have to remember that prior to the late 1980's Canfield was a small farm/rural community, in 1990 the population was only 4,000 people, until 1960 the population was only 1,000 people, the population was only 3,000 people in the mid 1970's. Canfield's population on the next census is projected to be 6,000 people, so they are actually getting smaller contrary to popular belief.

Have you ever been to a Dover vs Canfield game, or do you know the announced attendance from the two games I was at?
If not then how would you know what the case is?
I know that Mooney would pack the house, a lot of people from the entire area would go to that game, and it would be a bigger gate then a game with Dover, you just bounce around the fact that Canfield doesn’t want to play them with horrible reasoning when everyone knows the reason

Canfield has played Ursuline but not Cardinal Mooney. Canfield has played Cardinal Mooney in every sport but football and possibly boys tennis, if they did play in boys tennis it would have had to been in the 1960's or earlier, and I'm not even sure Mooney had a team yet.
You have to remember that prior to the late 1980's Canfield was a small farm/rural community, in 1990 the population was only 4,000 people, until 1960 the population was only 1,000 people, the population was only 3,000 people in the mid 1970's. Canfield's population on the next census is projected to be 6,000 people, so they are actually getting smaller contrary to popular belief.
Where are you getting your population #’s from? Canfield’s population between city and township is like 20k. That # you mention is closer to just the city population.

I know that Mooney would pack the house, a lot of people from the entire area would go to that game, and it would be a bigger gate then a game with Dover, you just bounce around the fact that Canfield doesn’t want to play them with horrible reasoning when everyone knows the reason
Agreed on that.

As an example - Steubenville travels better than anyone in the state and the Mooney game always way out draws Steubenville at Boardman. There’s absolutely no way Dover-Canfield draws anywhere close to Mooney-Canfield.

It’s less to do with a huge visiting crowd but rather more casual home fans or area fans will show.

The last 2 Mooney games our home side of 4,200 has been jammed full.

Regarding Mooney - is it true how low their #’s are and possibly no freshman team? I’ve heard some really low #s.

I know Ursuline has been out recruiting them for their typical feeder school kids. Plus Ytown city schools seem to be keeping more kids home. So not totally unexpected on decline. But not to type extent I was hearing.

Have you ever been to a Dover vs Canfield game, or do you know the announced attendance from the two games I was at?
If not then how would you know what the case is?
You do know there is video of games out there on internet? That game is on HUDL and the away side is 1/2 full at best. So kind of discredits your recollection of crowd.

Regarding Mooney - is it true how low their #’s are and possibly no freshman team? I’ve heard some really low #s.

I know Ursuline has been out recruiting them for their typical feeder school kids. Plus Ytown city schools seem to be keeping more kids home. So not totally unexpected on decline. But not to type extent I was hearing.

They list a freshman schedule on the website

Mooney's overall enrollment has been trending down for 5 years now while Ursuline's has been steady.

Their enrollment number used to sit right around 180-200. Now it's below 150. Those couple years when they were debating moving, fired the old principal and changed administration was a mess. It heavily impacted the 4 classes that currently make up the school. I know of more than a few families that would currently be there if they had their act together.

At this point you really have to wonder if a rumored move south wouldn't have been the solution. They would have easily got the worried kids of in Canfield/Boardman/Poland and also could have reached into the growing population in Columbiana county.

BREAKING

Word over an early dinner at the MVR this afternoon is that Mooney has a scrimmage at Euclid next week and then one at home against Glenville on the 21st at YSU