Monroe 2 Oakwood 1. Thank You Hornets Athletic Staff

12penguins

Good game tonight at Monroe as the Hornets take the outright lead in league play. They remain undefeated and hand the Lumberjacks their first loss of the season. My sincere thanks to the Monroe athletic department. My mom, who will be 89 in a couple of weeks and has a grandson playing for Oakwood, has great difficulty navigating the distance from the parking lot to the stadium, but she loves these games with all her heart. The Monroe athletic staff was kind enough to accommodate my request to allow us easier access to the stadium. It made all the difference to her and to me. I am indebted to Eric Silverman, Athletic Director and Karen Cook, Secretary for their kindness. Thank you very much.

How did the teams match up?
in 2 meetings this year, 0-0 draw and this 2-1 Monroe win, safe to say pretty evenly. strong midfielders for both. oakwood outshot Monroe 22-7 last night. But the Hornets finished and Oakwood did not. Good teams, well played games, well officiated. Strategically I always wonder why coaches do not play a striker at the same level as an opponent who uses what I will term a sweeper on defense. I prefer occupying the sweeper so that he cannot gobble up every through ball. But I am not an expert by any means. Monroe got up 2-0 at half and did exactly what they should do, get 10-11 behind the ball and clear whenever possible.

Fun to watch, as Oakwood pressured the entire second half, but Monroe was poised, organized and earned the win.

in 2 meetings this year, 0-0 draw and this 2-1 Monroe win, safe to say pretty evenly. strong midfielders for both. oakwood outshot Monroe 22-7 last night. But the Hornets finished and Oakwood did not. Good teams, well played games, well officiated. Strategically I always wonder why coaches do not play a striker at the same level as an opponent who uses what I will term a sweeper on defense. I prefer occupying the sweeper so that he cannot gobble up every through ball. But I am not an expert by any means. Monroe got up 2-0 at half and did exactly what they should do, get 10-11 behind the ball and clear whenever possible.

Fun to watch, as Oakwood pressured the entire second half, but Monroe was poised, organized and earned the win.

Watched The Mariemont - Oakwood game last night. #4 for Oakwood, who I assume is related to you in some way, is a really nice player!

Thank you. He is my nephew. I did not get to attend, but am told by reliable sources that Mariemont was the best team oakwood has faced all season.

I thought it was pretty even. Mariemont is strong this year but I think Oakwood was missing a couple of guys. Your nephew does a great job controlling the midfield and #16 on the backline is a real force. Good luck going forward

I thought it was pretty even. Mariemont is strong this year but I think Oakwood was missing a couple of guys. Your nephew does a great job controlling the midfield and #16 on the backline is a real force. Good luck going forward
[/QU
Thank you for the kind words. I look forward to tracking Mariemont through the tourney. Hope they make a run.