Moeller

birdog

Moeller extended its win streak to 41 straight games with a 63-27 thrashing of St X last night at Moeller. They have also beaten St. X 27 consecutive times dating back to the last decade. What is the record for an Ohio boys BB team as far as consecutive wins goes? I can't imagine that this is close to any state record, but impressive none the less. The Crusaders open the post season against Middletown and should not be challenged until the late rounds of Regionals if then.

Moeller extended its win streak to 41 straight games with a 63-27 thrashing of St X last night at Moeller. They have also beaten St. X 27 consecutive times dating back to the last decade. What is the record for an Ohio boys BB team as far as consecutive wins goes? I can't imagine that this is close to any state record, but impressive none the less. The Crusaders open the post season against Middletown and should not be challenged until the late rounds of Regionals if then.

The Mighty Middies won 76 in a row. Of course they had the best high school player in the history of Ohio high school basketball: Jerry Lucas. The Middies lost Lucas’ last game, the State championship game to an undefeated Columbus North Team, 63-62. Lucas and the Middies were 76-1 during Jerry’s high school (10-12 grade) career.

The Mighty Middies won 76 in a row. Of course they had the best high school player in the history of Ohio high school basketball: Jerry Lucas. The Middies lost Lucas’ last game, the State championship game to an undefeated Columbus North Team, 63-62. Lucas and the Middies were 76-1 during Jerry’s high school (10-12 grade) career.

Correct 100% HardCorps--Middie Magic was in full bloom in those days with Coach Paul Walker and Jerry Lucas. To Moe's credit they are 76-4 going back to 2017 as they were 28-1 only losing the State championship game to Massilon Jackson 39-38--

Last edited:
Correct 100% HardCorps--Middie Magic was in full bloom in those days with Coach Paul Walker and Jerry Lucas. To Moe's credit they are 69-1 going back to 2017 as they were 28-1 only losing the State championship game to Massilon Jackson 39-38--so they do have a shot at equaling or doing better than the Middies--definitely a fantastic run for the Crusaders!!

Moeller did lose to a team from New Jersey last year in a holiday tournament. Not a Ohio team but they lost

Yep that's right Vike--so they won final 20 in 2018 and then 21 this year--still 76-4 over last 3 seasons is very impressive!!

Let’s just keep it real, this tournament is Moeller and everyone else! Yes anybody can be beat, it’s going to take a very special effort to unseat them. Some team will have to get hot and play extremely fundamental basketball, and most importantly, not be intimidated.

Moeller did lose to a team from New Jersey last year in a holiday tournament. Not a Ohio team but they lost

I can only imagine that atmosphere at a completely sold out Wade E Miller and overflow crowd going into the other gym. Crazy.

Yep that's right Vike--so they won final 20 in 2018 and then 21 this year--still 76-4 over last 3 seasons is very impressive!!

The Barberton Magic team of the Bodnar twins and Carter Scott were 50-1 in 1975-76 and 1976-77; with the sole loss being in the 1997 final against Linden McKinley, I believe. So they had 50 wins in a row. But you are absolutely correct, Moeller's run is impressive. One loss in a state final, one title, and now the favorite to repeat! Quite impressive indeed.

The Barberton Magic team of the Bodnar twins and Carter Scott were 50-1 in 1975-76 and 1976-77; with the sole loss being in the 1997 final against Linden McKinley, I believe. So they had 50 wins in a row. But you are absolutely correct, Moeller's run is impressive. One loss in a state final, one title, and now the favorite to repeat! Quite impressive indeed.

It's funny. My three sons went to Moeller and played various sports including football, baseball and lacrosse. None played basketball however. I worked with Mark Bodnar in Cincinnati for over twenty years before I retired this past July. He was always harping on the good old days with his brother Marty playing for the Magic. I gave him a lot of grief over the years since he rode the pine most of the time at Michigan. His office was full of memorabilia from his high school and college days. Mark is one of the finest guys I have ever known and even though I am 10 years his elder. we had a very good relationship. He gave the keynote speech at my retirement party. He would visit my office almost everyday when Moeller would drop any kind of athletic event. He is one class act. GBM

Pfreim and McBride should be co-players of the year for GCL and it’s not even close. They are so good and have such a incredible chemistry on the floor.

Actually Middletown lost in the state SEMIfinal to North ;)...which is why his career was 77 games and not 78. (26x3)

This was the first and only time in Ohio history that all four big schools teams entered states undefeated. On top of all that hype, Cleveland East Tech defeated North on a OT sudden death basket..which I believe may the only time a state final went to sudden death in Ohio.

East Tech repeated in 1959 and went to AA state tournament 6 consecutive years.

Actually Middletown lost in the state SEMIfinal to North ;)...which is why his career was 77 games and not 78. (26x3)

This was the first and only time in Ohio history that all four big schools teams entered states undefeated. On top of all that hype, Cleveland East Tech defeated North on a OT sudden death basket..which I believe may the only time a state final went to sudden death in Ohio.

East Tech repeated in 1959 and went to AA state tournament 6 consecutive years.

Hmm. Thanks.

Lorain gave Moeller all they could handle in last year semi final ... Lorain returns 4 starters and a move in from New York City ... Devon Grant is a serious candidate for Mr Basketball averages 27 a game ... Pierre-Louis can match up with any big on the other side ...

Lorain vs Akron St Vincent in regional semi ... winner gets the shot at Moeller. ..

Not this year.

Moeller is exceptional and what they have done is a great thing. But I do not see moeller winning state this year. Biggest reason being youth and depth. Moeller plays 2-3 sophomores at times. If a team can find a way to take pfriem or McBride away there isn’t really anyone else that can create their own shot. What makes Moeller great really is their defense. They are excellent defensively. Which always give them a chance but a team lie Lorain who is senior loaded may give them a hard time.

Moeller is exceptional and what they have done is a great thing. But I do not see moeller winning state this year. Biggest reason being youth and depth. Moeller plays 2-3 sophomores at times. If a team can find a way to take pfriem or McBride away there isn’t really anyone else that can create their own shot. What makes Moeller great really is their defense. They are excellent defensively. Which always give them a chance but a team lie Lorain who is senior loaded may give them a hard time.

Not to mention it’s hard to repeat. Moeller is going to get an exceptional effort from everyone they play.

Not to mention it’s hard to repeat. Moeller is going to get an exceptional effort from everyone they play.

They have had a target on their backs since the beginning of the 2017-2018 season. They have run off 41 consecutive wins and even the two or three games that were single digit victories were never in doubt. They go 8-10 deep and the first two guys off the bench have as much upside potential as any one currently on the roster including the three senior starters. They are big and can defend. They run the floor exceptionally well although they have looked disinterested at times depending on the scoring margin. In Friday's game against St X, they were up 14-9 after one quarter. They scored 14 straight points in a little over 2 minutes to begin the second quarter and 19-1 overall to go up 33-10 at halftime. The game against SVSM early on gave us all an indication how good this team could be. They have only improved since then. GBM

NOT - that was in the Semi-Final

Championship game...
Col.North lost to Clv.East Tech in 2OTs and the second OT was sudden-death
the first team to score won.

https://ohsaa.org/sports/history/tim-hudak-features/bbk ...
It would be awfully difficult, if not impossible, to top the 1958 Class AA state tournament for sheer thrills and excitement. East Tech took an early lead and then held on to defeat Zanesville, 53-47, in one semi-final game. In the other, Columbus North shocked the basketball world by upsetting two-time defending state champion Middletown, 63-62, handing the Middies their first, and only, loss in three seasons.

Seldom have two teams been so evenly matched in a tournament final as were East Tech and Columbus North in 1958. And if the folks at St. John Arena thought that they had seen a great game when North upset Middletown, then they were in for an even greater treat the next day. Tech and North fought back and forth during the entire game. With North leading 48-46 and just six seconds left on the game clock, East Tech’s Jim Stone hit on a 35-footer to tie the score and send the game into overtime.

Neither team was able to score in the first overtime period. By the rules of the day, the second OT would be sudden death – first team to score wins. North gained first possession of the ball in the second OT, but lost it on a bad pass. East Tech then worked the ball down the court. Ed Ferguson passed the ball to Gerald Warren. Warren drove toward the basket, pulled up and, with just 34 seconds gone in the second overtime, canned a jump shot in the paint it give East Tech – and Cleveland – its first state basketball title, 50-48. That year was the last time that the sudden-death format was used.

=====

Best recruited team in the state. Such a shame they feel the need to do that.

You mean like Cin.North College Hill!

:>---

EGA

Vike, was the Columbus North team that beat the Middies in 1958 the precursor to Columbus Northland?

No, they are completely different schools. North opened in the early 1900s and closed in 1979. Northland opened during the Baby Boom and is much farther north and east (~ 1.5 mi. W of Easton).

The current North building as served as a temporary home to other Columbus HSs that have been rebuilt in recent years, the building is currently home to Columbus International HS which is an alternative HS. Bishop Watterson rents the North stadium for home football games.

Let’s just keep it real, this tournament is Moeller and everyone else! Yes anybody can be beat, it’s going to take a very special effort to unseat them. Some team will have to get hot and play extremely fundamental basketball, and most importantly, not be intimidated.

I don’t know what the competition up North looks like, but they should run through SWO w/ ease. Moe is extremely good and SWO itself is pretty bad. The only team that’s in the same stratosphere as them is Lakota East. That’s it. Even the Dayton powers like Wayne and Springfield are way down this Yr.

No, they are completely different schools. North opened in the early 1900s and closed in 1979. Northland opened during the Baby Boom and is much farther north and east (~ 1.5 mi. W of Easton).

The current North building as served as a temporary home to other Columbus HSs that have been rebuilt in recent years, the building is currently home to Columbus International HS which is an alternative HS. Bishop Watterson rents the North stadium for home football games.

Thanks, for the interesting information. I appreciate your time.

I don’t know what the competition up North looks like, but they should run through SWO w/ ease. Moe is extremely good and SWO itself is pretty bad. The only team that’s in the same stratosphere as them is Lakota East. That’s it. Even the Dayton powers like Wayne and Springfield are way down this Yr.

The Dayton area teams are more down than the Cincinnati area teams.

There are a few teams in NEO that could give Moeller a game. If I am looking at the bracketing correctly, Moe could end up facing Mentor or Brush in the semi-final and either STVM or Lorain in the final. Not saying, it will work out that way, but those 4 teams are tested. I realize Moeller put a thumping on my Irish early in the year, but I'd expect a closer game if they met up again in the state final!

Vike, was the Columbus North team that beat the Middies in 1958 the precursor to Columbus Northland?

No, Columbus North Polar Bear is still being used while High schools are being renovated and as adult evening location. North High school is at Arcadia and High in Clintonville. Northland High school is much further north near Forest Park.

Don’t overlook Pick Central

My original comment concerning moeller and the tournament was about this region in swo, I agree with the poster concerning Lakota east probably has the best shot in this area. I know all about pick central and yes, if they’re able to get out of there region, they have enough talent to maybe give them a run, I like Newark to perhaps make some serious noise in the tournament, does Newark have enough to contend? We’ll see in a few weeks.

Not sure about teams way up Cleveland/ Akron area . Moeller is just a well coached team and as I stated before, it can be done and upsets do happen it will just have to take a really special effort.

Best recruited team in the state. Such a shame they feel the need to do that.

They don’t need to- build it and they will come! I know you have a burning hate for Moeller, but even you can admit top tier programs will attract top talent.

Lakota East is not on Moeller's level.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk