MLB starts unhappy with...

Thavoice

the amount of interest in free agents of all ages and abilties.

Bryant and Longoria telling players to stand their ground for what they are worth.

Last couple of offseasons I think we are seeing a correction in spending by MLB teams in giving out less and less idiotic contracts.

Machado, Harper and others not gaining much interest.

Are the inflated values agents and players have for themselves finally outpaced what teams are looking to pay?

I am liking that it is getting tougher. I am not against top players getting theirs but way too many below avg old guys would get too much.

What say you

Of course the players are unhappy. I think this in indication that teams can and do win without mega superstars.

Also, there are more teams who are now in a "rebuild" mode than ever before. So the number of teams who are even willing to pony up big bucs are few. There are only honestly a handful of teams who could pay Harper anyway.

Could it be that major league owners are setting an unwritten salary cap or are they just sitting back and waiting to see what the market will bear for Harper and Machado before pursuing other free agents? Is this collusion or just smart business?

Moustakas re-signs with Brewers - 1 yr $10M. $10M is nothing to be ashamed of, but the tide is definitely turning...

Machado signs 10 years $300 Million with the Padres. This proves:
-- he never did care about winning
-- he doesn't care about his power stats - huge ballpark
-- he just wanted money

My guess is in 4 years he weighs almost 300 pounds and the Padres have deep regret about this contract.

My guess is in 4 years he weighs almost 300 pounds and the Padres have deep regret about this contract.

Machado has that build where I could definitely see him be fat when he get's into his 30's. Metabolism in your 20's is your best friend. Once you get over 30 not so much. I've also heard Machado is kind of a head

-- he just wanted money

Totally impractical. Plus, they’ve got Fernando Tatis Jr in their Farm System. He’s only 1 or 2 yrs away.

Could it be that major league owners are setting an unwritten salary cap or are they just sitting back and waiting to see what the market will bear for Harper and Machado before pursuing other free agents? Is this collusion or just smart business?
Smart business.

Machado signing tells us that BH wanted significantly more than that.

Not a very good signing by the padres.

Smart business.

Machado signing tells us that BH wanted significantly more than that.

Not a very good signing by the padres.

They had a 75mm Payroll before Machado, now at 30 mm he makes up almost 1/3 of their payroll. Not to mention, you’ve got one of the top 5 prospects in baseball at the same position.

I saw on Twitter how upset White Sox fans were and all I could think is they’ve have no clue how much of a drain 30mm/Yr is for anyone other than the Red Sox or Yankees

Not to mention, this doesn’t make the Padres contenders. Their rotation is garbage. Joey Luchesi is their #1. This exactly like when the Rangers signed ARod. It’s all hype, but does nothing to make the team a contender in the short run and only hinders them long term.

Last edited:
Machado was on one of the worst teams before, the Orioles. Got a gimmick shot to play in the world series. And now go chases money again and CHOOSES to be on a bad team. Good luck to him.

I don't want him to ever utter that he wants to win.