MLB pulls draft, All-Star game from Atlanta over voting rights

Speaking for the liberal Democrat side of this happening ( Georgia that is) But! But! But! and if you ask they will give you even more proof of Georgia's wrong doing.

Biden's continued reference to these voter laws being like Jim Crow is disgraceful. Biden should be getting eviscerated by the MSM for this. In his four years in office Trump never said something so historically inaccurate and hurtful as this. It staggers the mind that he keeps comparing the two.

Even worse this is dangerously divisive rhetoric on the part of Biden. There is a slight majority of Americans who agree with most of the elements in Georgia's new voting laws and Biden is saying those of us that do support these elements would have supported Jim Crow laws.
Biden is at the far left of the Bell Curve in intelligence and integrity.

Speaking for the liberal Democrat side of this happening ( Georgia that is) But! But! But! and if you ask they will give you even more proof of Georgia's wrong doing.

Raffensperger also said removing a duly elected SOS of their decades long oversight role and giving it to an unelected appointed election board is an especially bad idea. Duh, ya think? The same people who pushed the Big Lie and pressured SOS to stop the certification are now in charge of it. No problem. "We got this."

We understand this ^ is part of the narrative gop will try to sell, but I am betting the majority of voters in GA and the country, will view this nationwide push by red states as anti-democracy. Based on the Big Lie. By the Big Liar. And support speaking and acting against it.

MORE business leaders need to call it out. As well as more republican leaders (often former) and lifelong conservatives. Because the rest are too cowardly to.
Here is one thing I know. Lies are immediately powerful but have no substance. The truth can be obscured temporarily, but over time, it emerges and remains.

The problem here is that the left's rhetoric on this is obviously built on lies. It only has substance if one starts with the narrative that red state legislatures are committed to voter suppression and then you interpret things through that lens.

But, if you read the Ga bill, you find that all it does is takes common sense steps against voter fraud and actually expands voter access. The left's narrative is that there is no voter fraud. So, we have a contradiction in the narratives - which happens when you are making it up as you go. Hard to keep all the lies straight. If there is no voter fraud, then steps to prevent it are, at worst, an inert and harmless waste of time - not a reversion to Jim Crow. Lol.

The main problem is that providing ID is necessary for us to do tons of activities. People do it several times a day. The problem your side has is persuading people that the only time asking for ID is a satanic GOP plot is when one is trying to vote. It is absurd on its face and the lie in it does not require a high level of critical thinking to see it.

Here is one thing I know. Lies are immediately powerful but have no substance. The truth can be obscured temporarily, but over time, it emerges and remains.

The problem here is that the left's rhetoric on this is obviously built on lies. It only has substance if one starts with the narrative that red state legislatures are committed to voter suppression and then you interpret things through that lens.

But, if you read the Ga bill, you find that all it does is takes common sense steps against voter fraud and actually expands voter access. The left's narrative is that there is no voter fraud. So, we have a contradiction in the narratives - which happens when you are making it up as you go. Hard to keep all the lies straight. If there is no voter fraud, then steps to prevent it are, at worst, an inert and harmless waste of time - not a reversion to Jim Crow. Lol.

The main problem is that providing ID is necessary for us to do tons of activities. People do it several times a day. The problem your side has is persuading people that the only time asking for ID is a satanic GOP plot is when one is trying to vote. It is absurd on its face and the lie in it does not require a high level of critical thinking to see it.

First of all the left's "narrative" on voter fraud is based on FACTS, and every SOS, Governor, DOJ, and Courts. Your narrative is supported by Trump, Powell, Guiliani, My Pillow Guy, and QAnon. Secondly voter ID requirements are probably the least egregious and objectionable part of a bill that makes several other sweeping changes. Whose goal is not to outright prevent blacks from voting (not necessary) but simply systematically peel away enough votes to sway the results.

Btw, and not surprisingly, other forms of id work fine here in Ohio for in-person and absentee - as long as it stays red.

First of all the left's "narrative" on voter fraud is based on FACTS, and every SOS, Governor, DOJ, and Courts. Your narrative is supported by Trump, Powell, Guiliani, My Pillow Guy, and QAnon. Secondly voter ID requirements are probably the least egregious and objectionable part of a bill that makes several other sweeping changes. Whose goal is not to outright prevent blacks from voting but simply systematically peel enough off to sway the results.

Btw, and not surprisingly, other forms of id work fine here in Ohio for in-person and absentee - as long as it stays red.
Yes. No snack time while waiting. It's a travesty.

All joking aside. Georgia’s Republican-controlled General Assembly effectively now has control over the State Board of Elections and gives the state board the power to take over the local county boards. So, in other words, Republicans can now handpick the folks in charge of disqualifying ballots in Democratic-leaning spots. Seems legit though. But don't forget your orange slices. (y)

Show a damn id, and if the lines are too long, have more members of the communities that are suffering from long waits volunteer at the polls(you know community involvement and stuff), and finally if you are a grown up and know you are going to be hungry or thirsty, be a big boy or girl and prepare accordingly(and quit letting certain people tell you that you aren't able to handle your own responsibilities).

There’s no defense for MLB’s action pulling the All-Star Game out of Georgia. A corporation based in New York, which has more restrictive voting laws than Georgia's, has moved the Midsummer Classic to Colorado, which, like Georgia, has the supposedly objectionable voter ID requirement. It did so at the request of President Joe Biden, who is from Delaware, which also has more restrictive voting laws than Georgia. Why? Because Georgia passed a bill that generally expanded access to voting.
I disagree. If what President Biden and Stacey Abrams said had been true MLB made a brave and moral decision.

But Stacy Abrams lied and President Biden repeated those lies. That is where the fault is.

What did Mitch do? BTW I couldn't care less. Other then his work to get conservative judges nominated & confirmed I don't have much regard for Mitch. Unlike you I hold a lot of the folks in the republican power structure in contempt to. You should try it for the clowns in the democrat party - it's liberating.
For someone who could care less, you sure seem triggered by Abrams. By the way, feel free to scour my posts to find all the glowing commentary I've heaped on her - or other Democratic reps for that matter. They all lie and pander to their respective bases.

As far as Mitch is concerned, he whined that big corporations should stay out of politics - because Republicans drink Coke, fly, and like baseball too. Of course he then had to walk back his statement to say that they should be allowed to participate after all, citing donations (i.e. $$$$$$). So there's that.

All joking aside. Georgia’s Republican-controlled General Assembly effectively now has control over the State Board of Elections and gives the state board the power to take over the local county boards. So, in other words, Republicans can now handpick the folks in charge of disqualifying ballots in Democratic-leaning spots. Seems legit though. But don't forget your orange slices. (y)
After a 30 to 90 day investigation and a hearing where the legal standard of proof is considerably high ("preponderance of evidence" and "clear and convincing evidence") and over a period of at least two years.

Other forms of ID work fine in Georgia too, including:
"copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of such elector. If such elector does not have any of the forms of identification listed in this subsection, such elector may vote a provisional ballot pursuant to Code Section 21-2-418 upon swearing or affirming that the elector is the person identified in the elector's voter certificate."
I mean, it's so difficult to vote in Georgia. You actually have to swear that you are who you say you are.

After a 30 to 90 day investigation and a hearing where the legal standard of proof is considerably high ("preponderance of evidence" and "clear and convincing evidence") and over a period of at least two years.
State Republicans have admitted that this effort was predicated on the unfounded claims of voter fraud in the Presidential election. Not sure what you're trying to defend here.

State Republicans have admitted that this effort was predicated on the unfounded claims of voter fraud in the Presidential election. Not sure what you're trying to defend here.
I don't have to defend anything. You are making it sound like they can just come in and remove an entire county's board at the drop of a hat. It doesn't work like that. I'm providing the context that you are purposely leaving out.

Raffensperger also said removing a duly elected SOS of their decades long oversight role and giving it to an unelected appointed election board is an especially bad idea. Duh, ya think? The same people who pushed the Big Lie and pressured SOS to stop the certification are now in charge of it. No problem. "We got this."
The big lie is there was zero fraud in an election which saw the most votes cast in history.

I don't have to defend anything. You are making it sound like they can just come in and remove an entire county's board at the drop of a hat. It doesn't work like that. I'm providing the context that you are purposely leaving out.
They changed the law so this can occur. You can disagree if you want, but no need to put words in my mouth. No one said "the drop of a hat". As it stands, nothing stated in my original post is inaccurate. It's glaringly clear to most people that this provision ensures partisan state lawmakers can control the election process more directly. Raffensperger wasn't 'on the team' after all.

I didn't put words in your mouth. "Making it sound like" is a simile and is what you were doing. You purposely left out the context of the law. The county boards have to really f-up over multiple elections before it can even be considered to have them removed. If the state board wants to remove some local officials, they will have to perform a 30 to 90 day investigation and a hearing. If/when this happens, it will be a high profile thing where the media and other politicians will have a chance to weigh in on what is happening. This isn't some smoke-filled back room, middle of the night thing where they can just take over Fulton County and start disqualifying votes while nobody is looking. Everybody will know about it well before it happens.

First of all the left's "narrative" on voter fraud is based on FACTS, and every SOS, Governor, DOJ, and Courts. Your narrative is supported by Trump, Powell, Guiliani, My Pillow Guy, and QAnon. Secondly voter ID requirements are probably the least egregious and objectionable part of a bill that makes several other sweeping changes. Whose goal is not to outright prevent blacks from voting (not necessary) but simply systematically peel away enough votes to sway the results.

What exactly is my narrative? Could you detail it, please? You linked it to all kinds of people and entities that I wouldn't link myself to, but notably did not say what it is.

Political parties have narratives. I don't start with a premise narrative and then support it. That's you - which is why the emphasized "FACTS" is hilarious.

So, in this case, if the Ga law restricts voter access, is suppressive, and a regression into the Jim Crow era, then those "FACTS" will form the basis of my conclusion. If the Ga law actually expands voter access and doesn't have one suppressive or unreasonable thing about it, then that will form the basis of my conclusion. Which set of "FACTS" is true is pretty easy to confirm by simply reading the bill. Alternatively, which set of "FACTS" is false can be confirmed by citing the exact language of the bill.

You see, that's not a narrative. That's logic. You should try it sometime. It's much easier to defend than a false narrative.

Other forms of ID work fine in Georgia too, including:

I mean, it's so difficult to vote in Georgia. You actually have to swear that you are who you say you are.

GA requires photo ID for in person voting. Ohio does not. Period.

You are referencing provisional ballots which anyone can fill out but still require the voter to meet all the stringent identification measures, and quickly, and "good faith effort to determine whether the person casting the provisional ballot was entitled to vote in the primary or election." We all know how the new republican GA election board feels about good faith.

You are referencing provisional ballots which anyone can fill out but still require the voter to meet all the stringent identification measures, and quickly, and "good faith effort to determine whether the person casting the provisional ballot was entitled to vote in the primary or election." We all know how the new republican GA election board feels about good faith.
Ohio should require an ID. Getting an ID isn't a burden.

But snacks....we need snacks.

How come my (mostly) Lilly white precinct requires me to show a drivers license as soon as I walk in the door?

Reactions: y2h
Incorrect. An elector may present one of the allowable photo IDs "or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of such elector."

You are referencing provisional ballots which anyone can fill out
You are correct in reference to the part about swearing as to your identity and address. But, you can still do this whether you are voting absentee or in-person, which was your original complaint. Now you are moving the goal posts.

but still require the voter to meet all the stringent identification measures, and quickly, and "good faith effort to determine whether the person casting the provisional ballot was entitled to vote in the primary or election." We all know how the new republican GA election board feels about good faith.
First, you all are so worried about there not being any proof of voter fraud. Do you have proof that provisional ballots are disqualified without a good faith effort to determine the eligibility of the voter. Furthermore, I'd expect a lot of people to be in jail or at least prosecuted for falsely swearing to their identity and eligibility. How many have been prosecuted for this crime in Georgia recently?

Second, why would the local boards disqualify valid provisional votes from their county? I thought you were worried about the state coming in and removing local board in order to disqualify votes. They don't need to do this if the local board is going to do it for them.

Furthermore, if the local boards are disqualifying votes that should be counted, then they aren't performing their job properly. If this happens over a long enough period of time, the state board can come in and remove the local officials and do it right. They can do this now because the new law allows for it.

Ohio should require an ID. Getting an ID isn't a burden.

But snacks....we need snacks.

Ohio doesn't have enough minority voters to need that yet. Or hours long wait times for the most part. Though I am sure all that could be quickly arranged.

Incorrect. An elector may present one of the allowable photo IDs "or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of such elector."

Incorrect.